Post-Game Talk: Flyers fans are rooting for us to win tonight 6:07 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I contend there is a strong chance Barry would be more pissed at his F than his D if anyone asked him, on some of the goals we blame on D out of habit. It's like Bruce all over again, stay at homers doing anything but staying at home.

the first goal against is a good example. Kuzy ended up with the puck going behind the net and off balance. that put all three forwards below the goal line. he then poked the puck toward the front of the net which started the 3 on 2 going the other way.

He had to have thought there was a forward there because the pass attempt makes no sense if he didn't. So he didn't seem to know all three F's were below the goal line. But that hung the d out.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Count on no PPs for the Caps. Counting on the PP to get us through is a recipe for disaster.

Wrong...just flat out wrong. Going 1 for 15 on the PP in a seven game series like we did last year against the Rangers - when every game is decided by one goal - is a recipe for disaster. It cost us that series...plain and simple. We went 0 for 9 in the three one goal games where the Rangers were facing elimination. We came into the playoffs with the leagues number 1 Power Play. That can't happen again if we plan on going on a longer run this time...period.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I really, really want Nick and Alex apart. I have for years. Nick plays better (mostly by shooting more) without Alex. Kuz and Williams are driving any line they play on so I'd keep them apart, too. What's that leave:

Ovech-Kuz-Oshie
Bura-Nick-Williams
Chim-Mojo-Beagle
Winn-Rich-Wilson
Latta/Galiev

I've never been more convinced that we can live without Mojo. Yeah, he looks good in stretches, and looks awful much of the other time.

We miss Carlson. For all the discussion about him, when he's healthy, he's our best.

Orpik-Carlson
Alzner-Nisky
Schmd-Orlov
Weber/Chorney

I'd absolutely mix and match the last four as necessary.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I really, really want Nick and Alex apart. I have for years. Nick plays better (mostly by shooting more) without Alex. Kuz and Williams are driving any line they play on so I'd keep them apart, too. What's that leave:

Ovech-Kuz-Oshie
Bura-Nick-Williams
Chim-Mojo-Beagle
Winn-Rich-Wilson
Latta/Galiev

I've never been more convinced that we can live without Mojo. Yeah, he looks good in stretches, and looks awful much of the other time.

We miss Carlson. For all the discussion about him, when he's healthy, he's our best.

Orpik-Carlson
Alzner-Nisky
Schmd-Orlov
Weber/Chorney

I'd absolutely mix and match the last four as necessary.

Pretty much all of this. I might even sit Mojo and/or Wilson for a bit, put Beags/Rich at 3C .and give Galiev some time at 3 or 4RW.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Wrong...just flat out wrong. Going 1 for 15 on the PP in a seven game series like we did last year against the Rangers - when every game is decided by one goal - is a recipe for disaster. It cost us that series...plain and simple. We went 0 for 9 in the three one goal games where the Rangers were facing elimination. We came into the playoffs with the leagues number 1 Power Play. That can't happen again if we plan on going on a longer run this time...period.

Ah, sensationalism at it's finest. The PP cost us the series. Good one.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
I was there. It was absolutely terrible.

I'm not sure what's with the Holtby hate. Sure, he could have had some of those, but the defensive breakdowns were just unacceptable. Forwards and D just left him out to dry all game long.

Many Caps fans there?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So, you are asking them to play these meaningless games. Sell out all the way on blocked shots and physical play for games that don't matter because intellectually, they should?

Make me a case for how it makes any sense for any Caps player to be as desperate to win one of these final games as they will be to win game 1 of the playoffs?

You seem to be stuck on "selling out and blocking shots" to sell your side of the discussion, as if to suggest they can't play a competent full 60 minutes without risking injury.

Be a professional, play hard for 60, show some discipline. Nobody is saying crash through the boards head first.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Do the stats show we are great at generating PPs? I don't see it, and it seems like the PP has dried up the past few months.

Regardless, few calls will go in our favor at the big dance.

I take solace in seeing us winning games without depending on the PP lately. But come playoff time, expect a lot of hitting early in the first periods of game 1-4, and then otherwise... this. With crease clearing endeavors. I wish we practiced generating goals more by hitting hard on the forecheck but whatevs.

The best part of last night will likely not be Trotz figuring out all that ails us, but more likely the memory of seeing Oshie pounding away on Lobster Lips.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You seem to be stuck on "selling out and blocking shots" to sell your side of the discussion, as if to suggest they can't play a competent full 60 minutes without risking injury.

Be a professional, play hard for 60, show some discipline. Nobody is saying crash through the boards head first.

except that Trotz hockey calls for sacrifice. It calls for selling out physically. that's how they got that lead in the first place. Playing hard without that is the definition of coasting. If your boys are not willing while the other team, desperate to win, is going that all in, you lose. or in the Caps case fall behind and occasionally lose.

That's where the disconnect is here. You think they are actually mailing it in when in fact they are only short of that desperation.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Do the stats show we are great at generating PPs? I don't see it, and it seems like the PP has dried up the past few months..

Caps are 17th in the league in PP opps. Caps are 14th fewest in times shorthanded.

Caps have scored 51ppg's(2nd) and have allowed 36ppga(7th).

Caps have given up 4shg. Scored 2shg.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
except that Trotz hockey calls for sacrifice. It calls for selling out physically. that's how they got that lead in the first place. Playing hard without that is the definition of coasting. If your boys are not willing while the other team, desperate to win, is going that all in, you lose. or in the Caps case fall behind and occasionally lose.

That's where the disconnect is here. You think they are actually mailing it in when in fact they are only short of that desperation.

I'm not talking about selling out to use your extreme terms to try and make your point. I'm talking about playing a solid competent 60 mins of hockey. If you think the slow starts are exclusive to when the players started to (at some level) dial it back, I disagree.

And I never said they're "mailing it in"....I said I want consistency. You don't think it's pretty glaring that they've been average to bad in the 1st period almost all season?

I don't think the Caps needed to "sell out" or play the most extreme version of "Trotz hockey" to put up a better result than they did last night. Had they put in the effort and played solid, consistent, intelligent 2-way hockey, they beat the Pens....at worst they're at least not getting laughed off the ice.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They're not going to win with some 110% effort type garbage cliche mentality anyway. Where did that get Nashville?

It's always about high level execution. Always. They're doomed if they're fundamentally skill-blind.

Oh and Free Williams. Enough with the defibrillator usage.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Glad everyone is finally getting on board with 14 on the top line. I've been saying it since last season (where I was pushing to try and get him at the trade deadline). :)

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Ah, sensationalism at it's finest. The PP cost us the series. Good one.

Sensationalism? We lost the series by one goal and our top-ranked PP went 0-9 in the three elimination games. Am I missing something?

Saying expect zero PP goals when it's a team strength is a joke...and it's not from a lack of opportunities as some on here are trying to suggest. We had nine chances to alter our most recent series in the three most important games and came up empty. That's not going to cut it.

Power plays are not the end-all-be-all but they can surely be the difference between winning and losing a series.

If we go 3-15 (20%) or 4-15 (26.7%) instead of 1-15 (6.7%) I'm pretty confident we take that Rangers series...would you not agree?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Sensationalism? We lost the series by one goal and our top-ranked PP went 0-9 in the three elimination games. Am I missing something?

Saying expect zero PP goals when it's a team strength is a joke...and it's not from a lack of opportunities as some on here are trying to suggest. We had nine chances to alter our most recent series in the three most important games and came up empty. That's not going to cut it.

Power plays are not the end-all-be-all but they can surely be the difference between winning and losing a series.

If we go 3-15 (20%) or 4-15 (26.7%) instead of 1-15 (6.7%) I'm pretty confident we take that Rangers series...would you not agree?

Sure, I'd agree, but it doesn't happen. It is harder to score in the playoffs because you're playing the same team up to seven straight games. Teams scheme for special teams better and it becomes harder to score on set plays. If I recall correctly, the Islanders didn't score a single PP goal against us. If they scored one or two PPGs, that would have made a big difference, right?

PP goals dry up every post season. The Caps have had the 1st or 2nd ranked PP since 2012; how far has it gotten them in the playoffs? So, like I said, depending on the PP is not what they need. What they need is for Holtby to be Holtby and for their new found depth to pitch in some scoring, and for 8/19 to lead the way.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
PP production decreases for almost every team. In a 7 game series, the opponent's PK adapts specifically to your PP to shut it down. Our PP setup is effective in the regular season, but the pass to Ovi is so obvious. The only PPG in the Rangers series came off a gorgeous snap shot by Ovi on the rush, no one could ever stop that shot.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Glad everyone is finally getting on board with 14 on the top line. I've been saying it since last season (where I was pushing to try and get him at the trade deadline). :)

It's not like it's rocket science, I just wanted to save it for the playoffs.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Trotz has to have some plan for playoffs. And that plan isn't about Beagle @ top-6, I would bet. So it's either stagnant 8-19-77 or something better.

I can live with both 8-92-77 and 8-92-14.

65-19-14/77 is good anyway methinks.

Beagle will play in checking line for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad