Confirmed with Link: Flyers do not trade James van Riemsdyk prior to deadline, retracted reports he was supposed to be traded to Detroit

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Even though it is so on brand for this loser org and loser GM, I really didn't expect them to blow it like this. I figured they'd trade all the UFAs and get SOMETHING for them. This is so bad it is not even funny.

The fact that they won't even accept accountability for it and are even pushing Torts out there to defend them makes it so much worse. If there is one thing Philly hates, it is when you hide from your f*** ups instead of owning up. That's why Ben Simmons didn't last but Alec Bohm did.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Friedman says he’s eating a shit sandwich. Says Fletcher kept being told they would circle back to JVR is other deals fell through but thru didn’t. Enough that it pushed Detroit the top but sides with Fletcher (who to him was very blunt in the presser) in that there was never a deal until Detroit could make another deal.
The question to me then is obviously why wasn’t there any potential deals in place. Was it a perfect storm of shot, or where the Flyers asking for too much?

Based on what was traded over the weeks, I can’t believe a team out there wouldn’t have at least said they would trade a 4th or 5th.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
The question to me then is obviously why wasn’t there any potential deals in place. Was it a perfect storm of shot, or where the Flyers asking for too much?

Based on what was traded over the weeks, I can’t believe a team out there wouldn’t have at least said they would trade a 4th or 5th.
or Flyers pay for 25% more retention with the going rate for 7mil CAP / 25% equals 1.75m CAP = a 5th? I don't know, but it greases the wheels for a deal, no? For something?

The only con I see is Fletcher hesitating to establish a new pattern of bending over for his trades. But he's experienced, so this shouldn't be an issue...yeah?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The fact that they won't even accept accountability for it and are even pushing Torts out there to defend them makes it so much worse. If there is one thing Philly hates, it is when you hide from your f*** ups instead of owning up. That's why Ben Simmons didn't last but Alec Bohm did.
100% accurate.

Reactions: achdumeingute

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Teams didn’t want JVR.

I mean, think about it:

Teams were well-aware he was available.

If they wanted him, they’d have got him. Hell, teams got MacEwen & Brown.

I was kind of bewildered yesterday, but if teams wanted him they would have gotten him.

He probably doesn’t fit on any contenders. They have much better scoring LWs, so where does he fit?

Reactions: tucson83

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Teams didn’t want JVR.

I mean, think about it:

I was kind of bewildered yesterday, but if teams wanted him they would have gotten him.

He probably doesn’t fit on any contenders. They have much better scoring LWs, so where does he fit?

Multiple teams wanted JVR. We know this. Fletcher blew it.

You're more loyal to Fletcher than the Flyers.

Last edited:

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Teams didn’t want JVR.

I mean, think about it:

Would you rather have MacEwen or JvR for a 5th?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No f***ing way I just saw heavy insinuation of preferring MacEwen to JVR.

That dude deserves this team. He's ready been talking about how he thinks Kane is better, which is a good demonstration of ignorance. What it comes down to is Hextall signed JVR so therefore he must be scapegoated as hard as possible. He must be so pissed that Frost has played well enough to dodge blame for the whole year.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018

We are talking the NHL here not exactly the Ivy League. The way I suspect it went down was that towards the end of the deadline most potential buyers were trying to overhaul their bottom 6 and we know what that means.

I think the most damage was done by not showcasing JVR and putting him in every situation to show value. They were more worried about getting everyone to play the Torts way than they were selling for draft capital. Falls into the same category of pretending they aren’t rebuilding. Overall just a bad plan that shows the team is stuck in fantasy land

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
We are talking the NHL here not exactly the Ivy League. The way I suspect it went down was that towards the end of the deadline most potential buyers were trying to overhaul their bottom 6 and we know what that means.

I think the most damage was done by not showcasing JVR and putting him in every situation to show value. They were more worried about getting everyone to play the Torts way than they were selling for draft capital. Falls into the same category of pretending they aren’t rebuilding. Overall just a bad plan that shows the team is stuck in fantasy land
there's no point to explaining why JVR could not be traded. he was in the classic tradeable position...and any barrier to that would have been easily surpassed by simply saying, ok, next level down.

if he was a negative asset, requiring more assets to unload then he would have brought back? well, I haven't heard that yet. and short of that...this is just...dumb.

edit: And if by your initial sentence, you think an Ivy League anything is required to understand what took place, or didn't take place...not sure what to tell you. Except that you're confused.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They were playing JVR almost 15 minutes a night, primarily with Frost. He blew a lot of scoring chances the last month - not much else they could do.

We'll probably find out what happened in the next few days, they probably overestimated his value, if the App was based on the kind of metrics JFresh uses, since he had JVR as a prime target. $0.88M with 50% retained is peanuts for a top six forward, but if scouts doubted his skating and had him more like a "Perry" type veteran pickup, role player in sheltered bottom six minutes, then you have to have a third party pick up more money, reducing the return. B/c teams don't want to use a lot of their remaining cap room for a player they project at 10-12 minutes a night.

raydavies29

Nov 23, 2018
I made more than 17 calls to sports teams yesterday...

lmao.

I mean, it was a big day for me with a small deadline too and admin needed. But yeh, the way he said it like it was a large number when trying to move 5-6 players and likely multiple calls involved for each
he probably called bill guerin 17 times and bill answered the first time and got the machine for the other 16 calls

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
They were playing JVR almost 15 minutes a night, primarily with Frost. He blew a lot of scoring chances the last month - not much else they could do.

We'll probably find out what happened in the next few days, they probably overestimated his value, if the App was based on the kind of metrics JFresh uses, since he had JVR as a prime target. $0.88M with 50% retained is peanuts for a top six forward, but if scouts doubted his skating and had him more like a "Perry" type veteran pickup, role player in sheltered bottom six minutes, then you have to have a third party pick up more money, reducing the return. B/c teams don't want to use a lot of their remaining cap room for a player they project at 10-12 minutes a night.
I hope the app he uses is some internally developed power BI type app that doesn't only use the RTSS dataset. I imagine that's what it is, but if he's using some stock app with publicly available data,that's bottom line unacceptable, especially when they have the largest analytics department in the NHL

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

Yeah. There were still reports of multiple teams wanting him at the beginning of the last day. The fact that a call came in from Detroit at 1:40 regarding JvR, suggests that teams were still somewhat interested in JvR, but may not have liked the price. Likely Detroit was talking with other teams and was going to flip JvR if the chips fell their way. Thats the only way that acquiring JvR makes sense for Detroit.

It seems to me like Chuck overvalued JvR and asked too much. Other teams went another direction and found other pieces they like more than JvR.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 7.40.02 AM.png

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah. There were still reports of multiple teams wanting him at the beginning of the last day. The fact that a call came in from Detroit at 1:40 regarding JvR, suggests that teams were still somewhat interested in JvR, but may not have liked the price. Likely Detroit was talking with other teams and was going to flip JvR if the chips fell their way. Thats the only way that acquiring JvR makes sense for Detroit.

It seems to me like Chuck overvalued JvR and asked too much. Other teams went another direction and found other pieces they like more than JvR.

Also, it could be that Fletcher is such a known and easy victim in an obviously desperate spot that everyone valued trying to victimize him over actually getting JVR.

He waited too long and everyone had made their moves, so he was just a luxury by then.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Also, it could be that Fletcher is such a known and easy victim in an obviously desperate spot that everyone valued trying to victimize him over actually getting JVR.

He waited too long and everyone had made their moves, so he was just a luxury by then.

But why would a GM do that to another GM who is always just helping the other guys out? Are you implying this business doesnt care about being friends with the people they do business with and feel obligated to their organizations and not their colleagues?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
But why would a GM do that to another GM who is always just helping the other guys out? Are you implying this business doesnt care about being friends with the people they do business with and feel obligated to their organizations and not their colleagues?

Whoa could sports be about winning??

• Wow
Reactions: Starat327

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad