Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Good stuff. I particularly enjoyed the section on MacDonald.

I mean, his transition game sucks for a guy who is not a bad skater... but he does defend pretty well when not matched vs 1st lines. His poor Corsi his whole career has been driven more by not getting shots off when he is on ice more than allowing shots, when he got QoC more suited to his ability in 11-12 and 09-10 his CA/60 was amongst the better on the team. In his time with the Islanders his CA was almost identical to Hamonics when both played over 3000 mins 5v5... just his CF was always amongst the worst.

Last year he was getting 1st pairing matchups when he played, with less than 50% OZ starts. Now he is getting #4 kind of matchups with just over 50% OZ starts. I think it really shows in terms of his underlying GA and CA stats. He is just on probably ~$1.5 mill too much for what he brings.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Tracking every icing I've noticed that his long range passing isn't as good as it should be.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think the Flyers will find anything worthwhile out there for Streit. He's not untradable but I don't think his value is as good as it could be given his contract combined with age & the uncertainty of the cap right now.

Hopefully he can hold up until next year & they can try it again when he'll be more enticing with a year left on his contract & hopefully the cap issues are clear by then. It could also setup better in terms of replacing him with Gostisbehere potentially as well.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I thought MacDonald moved the puck really well when he first came over and then that Rangers series happened and he turned the puck over any time he touched it.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Could be partly because when he came over the whole team was playing great and since then they've been terrible. Playing on a good team can make someone look good and playing on a bad team can make someone look bad.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I really like MacDonald in his first weeks with the Flyers. And therefore I liked the trade and didn't mind his contract, because every player can have one bad playoff series.
That being said, he has been underwhelming ever since that Rangers series and I believe losing Timonen plays a big part in that. MacDonald, same as Coburn, has been relied on too much. Both would be much more valuable for us, and more consistent, if we had a true number one defender.
It has been mentioned before, we have too many players on defense playing over their heads.
I'm curious how Hextall plans to solve this situation, because number one defenders obviously don't grow on trees.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I really like MacDonald in his first weeks with the Flyers. And therefore I liked the trade and didn't mind his contract, because every player can have one bad playoff series.
That being said, he has been underwhelming ever since that Rangers series and I believe losing Timonen plays a big part in that. MacDonald, same as Coburn, has been relied on too much. Both would be much more valuable for us, and more consistent, if we had a true number one defender.
It has been mentioned before, we have too many players on defense playing over their heads.
I'm curious how Hextall plans to solve this situation, because number one defenders obviously don't grow on trees.

They just need to get better players back there. A #1 defensemen would be ideal (which hopefully is on the way with the prospects) but just getting more dimensional & more consistent defenders would go a long way to seeing improvement as a group.

Hopefully we only have to endure this for another year or so & hopefully Hextall doesn't ruin the flexibility opening up by re-signing both Schultz & Del Zotto to multiple years.

Last edited:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
They just need to get better players back there. A #1 defensemen would be ideal (which hopefully is on the way with the prospects) but just getting more dimensional & more consistent defenders would go a long way to seeing improvement as a group.

Hopefully we only have to endure this for another year or so & hopefully Hextall doesn't ruin the flexibility opening up by re-signing both Schultz & Del Zotto to multiple years.
True. Especially about Del Zotto. He has been useful this season and I like him as a placholder for Gostisbehere. But he should only be re-signed short term.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
AMac was elite at one thing, shot blocking, until this past season:

2014-2015: #6 on the Flyers, tied #133 in the nhl. 58 in 42 gm - 1.38 blocks/game

2013-2014: #1 in nhl: 242 blocks (#2 had 211) in 82 gm - 2.95 blocks/game (19 games with Flyers)
2012-2013: tied #3 in nhl: 123 blocks in 48 gm - 2.56 blocks/game
2011-2012: tied #5 in nhl: 185 blocks in 75 gm - 2.47 blocks/game
2010-2011: tied #14 in nhl: 160 blocks in 60 gm - 2.67 blocks/game

This is puzzling because shot blocking is just a matter of sacrificing your body and AMac doesn't seen to be close as willing to do this now that he has a new fat contract.

It is clear that Hextall values blocked shots and the Isles did while AMac was there:

Hextall:

“The game today is blocking shots,†said general manager Ron Hextall, who didn’t have as many teammates blocking shots when in his days as a goalie. “You’re right to block shots. As long as you think you can block it. You’ve got to try and block it.â€

Capuano1:

“Blocking shots comes from sacrificing yourself and putting yourself in the right position in the defensive zone, being in shooting lanes.â€
Capuano added: “It’s a read-and-react game. Players go by instinct. The rules are a lot different. Now the way to defend is a little different, too. Sometimes, a blocked shot is as big as scoring a game-winning goal when you see desperation on a six-on-five situation later in games, or the other team is on the power play.â€

Capuano2:

Capuano reminded that defensive work "is all five guys, making sure of having good gaps when [the offense] enters the zone, making sure you're taking away time and space, and having an active stick. And, yeah, you have to sacrifice your body, have a willingness to block shots."

Vigneault/Lundqvist during last year's playoff series:

“Shot blocking is a skill, but it takes a lot of will and courage. Our guys have that,†Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said Wednesday during a conference call. “It has more to do with the willingness to find that lane and block that shot.
“You know it’s coming and you know it’s going to hurt. That’s just part of winning hockey. Teams that usually have that in their repertoire are usually good teams. We had to make some great defensive plays.â€

“It’s a big part in the playoffs,†Lundqvist said. “That’s huge when guys pay the price like that. It’s tough mentally for the other team when you try to get going and guys are just throwing themselves in front of the puck and stop it.

USA Today with Quotes:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2014/11/30/shot-blocking-important-nhl-hockey/19687535/

Over the last 10 seasons, shot blocking has increased by roughly five a game. That means that there are about 6,000 more shots a season blocked today than there were in 2003-04.

In 1997-98, the New York Rangers led the NHL with 871 blocked shots and most teams had a total below 700. Last season, the Montreal Canadiens led with 1,491 blocked shots, an average of 18 a game. Four of the 30 teams blocked fewer than 1,000 shots.

"It is hard to get the puck to the net," Arizona Coyotes defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson said. "Everyone is talking about blocking shots."

"It's considered a big team thing and you usually get the pat on the back when you get back to the bench," said Vancouver Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa. "It can galvanize a team."

Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman said shot blocking "can be as important as scoring a goal."

"Everyone hates to be scored on," Simmonds said. "I'm all for sacrificing your body if that is what you need to do to win. … You see guys putting their faces in front of pucks."

The popularity of shot blocking has escalated as coaches have become more defensive-oriented. Now, forwards are working on trying to overcome the shot blockers.

"These defensemen are so good at getting in lanes," New Jersey Devils forward Travis Zajac said. "It's almost like you have to make the extra pass if you want to score."

"Ryan McDonagh blocks everything he sees," Simmonds said.

The Rangers' McDonagh says the value of shot blocking outweighs the risk of injury. In addition to preventing a scoring chance, there's an inspirational boost, particularly in the playoffs.

"When you see a block," he said, "it motivates you as a player to make sure you are doing your part."

Note: there are those against it. Ie. if you have the puck in possession there is nothing to block.

Hitchcock on blocking shots:

"I think shot blocking is the most useless stat in the National Hockey League."
“If you’re blocking shots it means the puck is in your zone a lot,†Hitchcock said today, per NHL.com’s Dan Rosen. “When you’re a shot-blocking team, you never get it back.â€

... But it is not as if the puck isn't trapped in the Flyers zone when AMac is out there. He just isn't playing as he used to.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
He got injured and now looks a little tentative. Shot blocking is a mental thing and for obvious reasons Mac is struggling in that area.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
... But it is not as if the puck isn't trapped in the Flyers zone when AMac is out there. He just isn't playing as he used to.

Actually, the puck is not trapped in the Flyers zone when MacDonald is on the ice. His ES CA/60 is better than anyone but CC and Coburn, who both have played much fewer minutes.

He has also only allowed 52.91 Corsi against per 60 minutes at even strength this season, and the best on the Flyers and 71st amongst the 171 defensemen who have played 500 minutes or more at even strength

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
Actually, the puck is not trapped in the Flyers zone when MacDonald is on the ice. His ES CA/60 is better than anyone but CC and Coburn, who both have played much fewer minutes.

He isn't even being trusted in the Dzone as he was in the past. 53.5% OZ starts this season vs. 48.7% and 45.9% with the Isles the year before that. His OZ finish is also only 46.4% this year, only worse is CC.

EDIT:

http://pattisonave.com/zone-exits-games-1-42/

His zone exists were also worst among regulars at the midway point.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
His 5 on 5 OZ Start % is basically the same as Del Zotto and Schenn's, but his CA/60 is lower.

http://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?team=PHI&sit=5v5
http://war-on-ice.com/playertable.html

MacDonald - 53.1 OZ Start% at 5 on 5, 53.8 CA/60 at 5 on 5
LSchenn - 52.8 OZ Start % at 5 on 5, 54.9 CA/60 at 5 on 5
De Zotto - 53.19 OZ Start % at 5 on 5, 58.5 CA/60 at 5 on 5

He's also blocking more shots per ES minute than any defender on the team except LSchenn.

He is not blocking shots at even remotely close to the level he has in the past, that may because he is scared after injuries, but that is not good either.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think he's blocking less shots because he's not stuck in his own zone nearly as much as he was on the Islanders.

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
I think he's blocking less shots because he's not stuck in his own zone nearly as much as he was on the Islanders.

That is ridiculous. He is stuck in the zone all the time. His zone exists are the worst on the team. He also played at quarter of the season last year with the Flyers and continued his best-in-league pace at blocking shots.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That is ridiculous. He is stuck in the zone all the time.

If he's stuck in the zone all the time why is his Corsi Against per 60 minutes at 5 on 5 better than any other regular Flyers defensemen apart from Coburn and the best on the team at 4 on 4?

Last edited:

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
If he's stuck in the zone all the time why is his Corsi Against per 60 minutes at 5 on 5 better than any other regular Flyers defensemen apart from Coburn and the best on the team at 4 on 4?

He gets more offensive zone starts than anyone not named Streit.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He get's more offensive zone starts than anyone not named Streit.

Del Zotto has a higher 5 on 5 OZ start % than MacDonald, but Del Zotto's 5 on 5 CA/60 is 4.6 lower.

If you look at the war-on-ice Corsi table you'll see it's actually Del Zotto and Grossmann who get stuck in their own zone all the time.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Never been a fan of blocked shots stat. Not that blocking shots on it's own is a bad thing, but generally the leaders of blocked shots tend to spend all their time without possession. So not really a positive thing at all.

Not sure if that bears out for MacDonald, but from the eye test he really seems to spend the majority of time chasing play in his own zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad