TSN: Flyers contact Lombardi about role

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Man we all need the expansion and real drafts to get here. We are giving this thread way to much attention. I include myself here:).

We have churned through 3 threads worth of 2017-18 rosters too :laugh:

I am going to burn this moth******er down if the Caps can take Game 7, though. GIFgasm, asterisks, the ****ing lot. It will be a miracle if there is any bandwidth left after I'm finished gorging on the schadenfreude. Big if, but we'll see.

I don't even know what thread I'm posting in right now :laugh:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He did draft a ton of their guys though that won them the Cup. Two of the biggest contributors were guys he went out at traded for in Carter and Richards. Basically, he saw what he had to do and made the moves. They probably don't win if he doesn't make those moves, so it's hard to knock him.

If you want to argue 2 Cup wins vs. years of cap trouble, I'm game for that being a reasonable counterbalanced debate, but he absolutely helped win those Cups and I'd gladly trade cap hell for 5-6 years for 2 Cups.

Well look at it like this, would you like to have Holmgren back as GM? He did some really good things and some really bad things... can't forget about the good but the bad is enough that I'm glad he isn't GM anymore.

Hextall, so far, has done lots of very good things and a handful of insignificant bad things, things not bad enough that they're an issue in the big picture. I want him to keep going on the same path and I don't want any distractions from that.

I'm not saying Lombardi coming in will ruin everything, but the one thing he was pretty decent at (drafting) is something we already have 100% locked down under Hextall, so where does his value come in? Signings or trades? Not in my eyes.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
We have churned through 3 threads worth of 2017-18 rosters too :laugh:

I am going to burn this moth******er down if the Caps can take Game 7, though. GIFgasm, asterisks, the ****ing lot. It will be a miracle if there is any bandwidth left after I'm finished gorging on the schadenfreude. Big if, but we'll see.

I don't even know what thread I'm posting in right now :laugh:

is murray ready? fleury's got to be mentally ****ed after last night. his high glove took a beating...:laugh:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
This is probably more in the area of optics than anything real or anything which will actually effect us with regard to Lombardi, but I'd like to see Hexy moving on from the relative nepotism he has displayed at times - signing Big Brett's college coach, Gordon, etc. A minor issue, probably, but something I'd like to see rectified a bit.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
is murray ready? fleury's got to be mentally ****ed after last night. his high glove took a beating...:laugh:

During the broadcast, Crosby's proctologist, Doc Emerick, mentioned that they were just firing pucks high at Flower's glove hand and destroying him, and not for nothing, but who in their rightful ****ing mind calls a guy "Flower"? They could hardly be more ****ed if they tried. I'm winding myself up now - look out, internet :laugh:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Well look at it like this, would you like to have Holmgren back as GM? He did some really good things and some really bad things... can't forget about the good but the bad is enough that I'm glad he isn't GM anymore.

Hextall, so far, has done lots of very good things and a handful of insignificant bad things, things not bad enough that they're an issue in the big picture. I want him to keep going on the same path and I don't want any distractions from that.

I'm not saying Lombardi coming in will ruin everything, but the one thing he was pretty decent at (drafting) is something we already have 100% locked down under Hextall, so where does his value come in? Signings or trades? Not in my eyes.

No I would not, unless you're telling me that he will get me some Stanley Cups for sure by the time his tenure is over.

I'm not forgetting the bad things. I think I wrote that out pretty clearly though: I'm willing to take 2 Cup years in exchange for 6-7 years of cap hell/possible losing.

I just want the drought overrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Do I think Lombardi is a sure-fire win? Nah. But He's done some good work as well. He wouldn't be the actual GM, so why not? Hexy seems to trust him I'm sure.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No I would not, unless you're telling me that he will get me some Stanley Cups for sure by the time his tenure is over.

I'm not forgetting the bad things. I think I wrote that out pretty clearly though: I'm willing to take 2 Cup years in exchange for 6-7 years of cap hell/possible losing.

I just want the drought overrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Do I think Lombardi is a sure-fire win? Nah. But He's done some good work as well. He wouldn't be the actual GM, so why not? Hexy seems to trust him I'm sure.

Yeah I know you weren't, that wasn't targeted at you, I was saying in general it can't be forgotten.

And I understand what you're saying, I'm just saying I'd prefer he wasn't here. It's really not a big deal either way though.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Unfortunately the Flyers organization will never disavow patronage jobs completely...might as well get used to it. Luckily it is not as pervasive as in years past...

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Why worry? Where do you think he came from before la? I am sure Ron has a spot in mind for him in some sort of management position in the scouting department? Ron learned a lot from Dean and knows what kind of talent he is. Look most people thought that only Sutter was going to go and for the most part were caught off guards when they both were let go. If he does come on board it will only be a positive thing for us. Relaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Hockey operations aside, I hate Lombardi's management history on ethical and moral grounds. The way he treated Mike Richards was abhorrent. His clemency to Voynov was even worse, especially when compared in retrospect.

Then you take fondness for goons and talentless hacks because "every good army needs a couple of criminals" (whatever the **** that means). His archaic ideas on hockey informed every aspect of his teambuilding strategy, resulting in an immensely talented core withering into perpetual mediocrity because talent wasn't valued and their supporting cast was either stripped away or never came to fruition. The fact is he's an overrated hockey "mind" whose been riding Darryl Sutter's coattails his entire career.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
That would be great!
Someone was trying to argue with me that DL knows nothing about scouting. Head scout please.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
During the broadcast, Crosby's proctologist, Doc Emerick, mentioned that they were just firing pucks high at Flower's glove hand and destroying him, and not for nothing, but who in their rightful ****ing mind calls a guy "Flower"? They could hardly be more ****ed if they tried. I'm winding myself up now - look out, internet :laugh:

trampoline-6bcdd56bfd8baf10bdc89e864c11d04e.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad