Confirmed with Link: Flyers claim defenseman Kevin Connauton (ex of Florida)

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
They will also keep playing him because they are stupid enough to want him playing.

We are doomed.
I was thinking that if Yeo wanted to forge his own path, and maybe win over the room, he'd bench Yandle and break the streak and just say: 'Play like shit, now you sit.'

Might actually give him some cred with the non-Hayes faction.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I was thinking that if Yeo wanted to forge his own path, and maybe win over the room, he'd bench Yandle and break the streak and just say: 'Play like shit, now you sit.'

I'm pretty confident that he is just as much of a bottom as Clusterchuck. Plus, he is a dogshit coach. Luckily, nothing matters until Fletcher is shitcanned.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Which is fine reasoning, but the argument for the other side is look at a team like Anaheim that is over-performing to expectation largely in part Bc of the youth injected into their lineup that’s given them a spark. We tend to never try that option as a franchise

But we have. We played 6 rookies in 2019-20, we played Provorov, TK, Patrick and Farabee at 19.
Problem is you have to have the right young players, both talented and NHL ready.

Look at Anaheim's "youth" - by TOI:

Drysdale D (19) - #6 pick
Zegras (20) - #9 pick
Terry (24) #148, started at 21
Lundestrom (22) - #23 pick (up and down for two years, won a starting job last year)

Players making limited contributions:
Mahura D (23) - #85, yo-yo for four seasons
Benoit D (23) - UDFA, played 14g this season
Comtois (23) - #50, played 29g at 21, started last season
McTavish (19) - #3, played 9 games, 3 AHL, back in the OHL now
Steel (23) - #30, starter at 21, 3C/4C
Groulx (21) - #54, 4th line

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Expensive 3rd pair Dman leading his team in points, averages over 21 minutes per game, is -3 (most common: -5; median: -5) on a team with goal differential of whopping -47, positive addition to the power play. CANT. USE. THAT.
Ghost would fit in well here with this play...

Reactions: orangey

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

I don't think any of the team really want Yandle to sit. The controversy would just be another distraction. The best thing Yeo could realistically do would be to go 11-7, which he could do tonight with Connauton available.

Reactions: Rebels57

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
But we have. We played 6 rookies in 2019-20, we played Provorov, TK, Patrick and Farabee at 19.
Problem is you have to have the right young players, both talented and NHL ready.

Look at Anaheim's "youth" - by TOI:

Drysdale D (19) - #6 pick
Zegras (20) - #9 pick
Terry (24) #148, started at 21
Lundestrom (22) - #23 pick (up and down for two years, won a starting job last year)

Players making limited contributions:
Mahura D (23) - #85, yo-yo for four seasons
Benoit D (23) - UDFA, played 14g this season
Comtois (23) - #50, played 29g at 21, started last season
McTavish (19) - #3, played 9 games, 3 AHL, back in the OHL now
Steel (23) - #30, starter at 21, 3C/4C
Groulx (21) - #54, 4th line
I hear where you’re coming from, but to me the underlying issue is development. You can’t hit on everyone but can we say those players are living up to their pedigree? And can we say the phantoms are properly developing the younger guys? I’ll admit i was on board w the Detroit “stew them slowly” model a few years ago, but we haven’t seen any results from that approach either, and the league keeps getting younger. So maybe it’s worth it to try the alternative

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I hear where you’re coming from, but to me the underlying issue is development. You can’t hit on everyone but can we say those players are living up to their pedigree? And can we say the phantoms are properly developing the younger guys? I’ll admit i was on board w the Detroit “stew them slowly” model a few years ago, but we haven’t seen any results from that approach either, and the league keeps getting younger. So maybe it’s worth it to try the alternative

There's a reason Nashville has to sit Myers to teach him hockey fundamentals, and it isn't because the Flyers were diligent and detail-oriented in their development process.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I think the primary problem was Hextall made a lot of "dinosaur" picks in the middle rounds, full sized forwards without the speed to be 4th line guys in today's NHL and without the skills to compensate for lack of speed.
And some bad injury luck.
I mean guys like Twarynski, Bunnaman, Vorobyev got good shots at winning NHL jobs and just failed.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Okay but who were those players? 3 games of Bunnaman qualifies for those parameters. I know we’ve injected guys like Provorov and Konecny, who were essentially slam dunks. I’m talking about the overall franchise tendency to be cautious w youth. It’s not a bad philosophy if you’re developing them well, but we aren’t even doing that. So I’m advocating for trying more of the alternative.

I'm with you in that I like seeing more of some of the young guys we have. They're blank slates and it's more exciting to watch a player who has potential and hope rather than some of the mediocre slop we've collected.

I'm just not convinced that this franchise is more cautious with youth than other franchises. The good ones are already up, and the rest are not - Z and York I think has more to do with lack of playing time over the past 18 months, and they're also still very young.

The difference is probably a combination of "grass is greener" and the reality that some of the youth from these other teams are just better. We have a lot of middling players, but no gems like Kucherov, Point, Pastrnak, Aho, Makar, Pettersson. We could have drafted every single one of those players, but we didn't. So here we are.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think the primary problem was Hextall made a lot of "dinosaur" picks in the middle rounds, full sized forwards without the speed to be 4th line guys in today's NHL and without the skills to compensate for lack of speed.
I mean guys like Twarynski, Bunnaman, Vorobyev got good shots at winning NHL jobs and just failed.

All spent years in a program that doesn't address any of their deficiencies and taught them pond hockey under Gordon while deadset on beating any "cuteness" out of them and establishing false adversity to build intangibles or magic or some stupid misguided thing. Not exactly maximizing chances of success.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I don't think any of the team really want Yandle to sit. The controversy would just be another distraction. The best thing Yeo could realistically do would be to go 11-7, which he could do tonight with Connauton available.

Do you honestly think it would be a controversy to bench a weak player?

Like if Kessel played like absolute garbage, would anyone really care if he were benched during his ironman streak?

I can understand it being controversial if you're benching a player during a points streak (which in itself wouldn't make much sense), but a consecutive games streak?

Nah, but that's just me I guess.

Reactions: TCTC

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Do you honestly think it would be a controversy to bench a weak player?

Like if Kessel played like absolute garbage, would anyone really care if he were benched during his ironman streak?

I can understand it being controversial if you're benching a player during a points streak (which in itself wouldn't make much sense), but a consecutive games streak?

Nah, but that's just me I guess.
I also think Yandle has some pride and he'll realize that he can't keep up right now.

I'm ok with keeping him in the lineup for the PP, but you would have to seriously reduce his minutes at ES.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Seriously, just line Yandle up at 4LW, and use him sparingly except on PP.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Lappy is trying hard though
i mean Frost is being benched from Lappy. After that he start his rising career. Now Deadhead is pointing him in for next season as a 2nd line Center on our Competitive Team. Ghost Beer has stopped complaining about him and the burner account of them are also silent! So maybe Lappy is a genius working behind the scenes! We dont give him enough credit!

Reactions: Curufinwe

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
i dont even know what your are saying? Lindblom, Ghost, Vorobyev arent picked for their dinosaur skills. Sure you pick a few with size. But Hextall wasnt as Dino like as Chucky for example!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad