Confirmed with Link: Flyers claim defenseman Kevin Connauton (ex of Florida)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
i dont even know what your are saying? Lindblom, Ghost, Vorobyev arent picked for their dinosaur skills. Sure you pick a few with size. But Hextall wasnt as Dino like as Chucky for example!

Ghost was pre-Hextall and not the organizational norm.
Lindblom was a 5th rd pick based on his skating, he's one of those few who made significant strides.
Vorobyev was a big center who lacks speed, but also lacks any sort of physical game, good passer but little else.

In today's game, there's been a move toward smaller (not small, but the average weight in the NHL declined by 5 lbs since they changed rule enforcement) and faster forwards, Hextall didn't get that memo when it came to bottom six type picks.

The ideal bottom six guy is probably 6'1 195 lbs (when he grows up) with above average speed and a decent skill set, not good enough to get drafted in the first couple rounds, but enough there to be a good forechecker with the potential for more if he polishes his skills.

Which is why I think Avon was a steal as a UDFA, and Willman is worth a long look.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
I'm with you in that I like seeing more of some of the young guys we have. They're blank slates and it's more exciting to watch a player who has potential and hope rather than some of the mediocre slop we've collected.

I'm just not convinced that this franchise is more cautious with youth than other franchises. The good ones are already up, and the rest are not - Z and York I think has more to do with lack of playing time over the past 18 months, and they're also still very young.

The difference is probably a combination of "grass is greener" and the reality that some of the youth from these other teams are just better. We have a lot of middling players, but no gems like Kucherov, Point, Pastrnak, Aho, Makar, Pettersson. We could have drafted every single one of those players, but we didn't. So here we are.
I can agree w that sentiment that we don’t wanna be those “play the kids!” fans w no actual thinking going into it. My sentiment is more that it’s becoming a noticeable trend that our handling of youth, whether it be development, drafting, playing time, etc feels like it isn’t working.
We don’t invest enough into this area and as a wealthier team in a cap world, that’s one of those margins that you can “beat” other teams on. I don’t have a solution but i think it’s a discussion worth having to find what it might be.

Reactions: flyersnorth

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Ghost was pre-Hextall and not the organizational norm.
Lindblom was a 5th rd pick based on his skating, he's one of those few who made significant strides.
Vorobyev was a big center who lacks speed, but also lacks any sort of physical game, good passer but little else.

In today's game, there's been a move toward smaller (not small, but the average weight in the NHL declined by 5 lbs since they changed rule enforcement) and faster forwards, Hextall didn't get that memo when it came to bottom six type picks.

The ideal bottom six guy is probably 6'1 195 lbs (when he grows up) with above average speed and a decent skill set, not good enough to get drafted in the first couple rounds, but enough there to be a good forechecker with the potential for more if he polishes his skills.

Which is why I think Avon was a steal as a UDFA, and Willman is worth a long look.
Frost was too smol for you. Ginning was a good pick for you back in the days. Now you say the Total opposite. Your life must be easy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad