Proposal: Flyers/Blackhawks

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
It's only $2M, Flyers don't need the space, Hawks do. Makes it that much more enticing for Chicago to part with valuable assets.

If it does make it that much more enticing for Chicago, the offer should probably reflect that. DeBrincat and a late 2017 1st aren't good value for Simmonds even without retention, and before adding a bad contract going to them.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Don't see how this makes sense for either team. Simmonds, while cheap, doesn't really fill a need for the Hawks. The Hawks will need those other pieces down the line as well. And Philly could get a much better offer from another team.

These proposals by fans of a third team are a good idea in theory, but it seems very difficult to understand how each team values certain assets and needs.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Hawks rip off Flyers and then immediately get screwed over by Hossa retiring and spiral into abyss

Flyers say no and Hawks certainly are not trading Hossa and risking recapture

This is a really good point. I don't think Chicago can say yes with Hossa, amazingly. It works for no one.

Evergreen

The Flyers are not going to be a contender either of the next 2 seasons, and then Simmonds hits free agency. Getting DeBrincat, plus that #1, is youth that will come up with the team as the rebuild continues. They should be looking to shed Giroux and Simmonds and players like them now before the value is exhausted out.

If they do move those players, they will get a much better return yeah what you've proposed.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Bad trade for Philly. Also, it must be stated that McDonugh won't allow Bowman to trade the 2017 1st rounder with the draft being held in Chicago. If anything, they will make some bad trade in order to move up in the draft.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
It's only $2M, Flyers don't need the space, Hawks do. Makes it that much more enticing for Chicago to part with valuable assets.

We could have infinite cap space for all I care and I would still want to see value coming back in exchange for carrying $2M for 2 years.

Chicago is getting out of a poor contract in this situation and they sure as hell don't need a pot sweetener. On the other hand, Philly does need a fairly massive add if we're going to do Chicago a favor and fix their cap woes.

captain9nyr

@captain9nyr
Feb 4, 2009
Hammonton, NJ
Can the people who called me slow and laughed at me revisit this trade proposal?

Admins/Mods: If you feel this is in poor taste, please feel free to lock the thread. Apologies in advance. I just feel kind of vindicated, especially given the reactions at the time.

Reactions: mmvvpp

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Can the people who called me slow and laughed at me revisit this trade proposal?

Admins/Mods: If you feel this is in poor taste, please feel free to lock the thread. Apologies in advance. I just feel kind of vindicated, especially given the reactions at the time.
Odd bump. This will be locked in no time

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

Congrats, it went from an ugly trade proposal for the Flyers to an even uglier one for the Hawks.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Except it wasn't just Flyers fans bashing it at the time. It was also Chicago fans saying it was bad for Philly. And fans of neither team.
But it does show that deals that can look "horrible" can clearly end up different than what popular wisdom thinks.

We are all giving opinions, and while at the time the majority seemed to be right, you have to admit that the majority was wrong and this deal would have been good.

It's kind of a valuable lesson for ALL of us (including myself) that no matter how much we think we know, we really don't know much.

Reactions: mmvvpp

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
oh my... :facepalm:
even at full salary I dont see the Flyers doing this. This is actually the worst proposal that I've seen in a very long time on HFB.

Senators fan.

Ugly for the Flyers

Habs fan.

No way in a million years is Flyers GM Ron Hextall retaining 50% on Simmonds for that package Kruger is Vegas bound and i doubt Hossa would get moved due to the cap recapture penalty risk.

Wings fan.

Hawks rip off Flyers and then immediately get screwed over by Hossa retiring and spiral into abyss

Flyers say no and Hawks certainly are not trading Hossa and risking recapture

Blackhawks fan.

The point being not only Flyers fans thought this was a bad trade. It's easy to look back on it now and say it wasn't.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
But it does show that deals that can look "horrible" can clearly end up different than what popular wisdom thinks.

We are all giving opinions, and while at the time the majority seemed to be right, you have to admit that the majority was wrong and this deal would have been good.

It's kind of a valuable lesson for ALL of us (including myself) that no matter how much we think we know, we really don't know much.
oh absolutely. But it's just not us. Look at all the actual scouts that make bad picks. Or GM's that make obvious bad trades or signings the moment that happens.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

Sure, you can throw a bunch of crap at a wall and some of it is bound to stick. In 2011 if someone would have offered Stone for Gudbranson the thread would have been locked in minutes because at the time it was a terrible offer. Just because things change years later doesn't make someone smart just like it doesn't make the people who laughed at it dumb. All we're really discussing here is value and at the time, the value was off. In the same thread he also said the Flyers should have traded Giroux that summer after his 58 point season but I don't see patting himself on the back there. I also don't see him bumping his thread where he wanted to trade Giroux for Galchenyuk. Again, some crap sticks to walls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad