Proposal: Flyers/Blackhawks

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
While we're bumping your old proposal thread, should we bump this one too?

Proposal: - Flyers/Canadiens

Giroux and Streit for Galchenyuk and Plekanec? Flyers fans sure would love having a 40-50 point middle 6 forward instead of Giroux right about now.

I like how this was conveniently glossed over by the OP.

Skizwald

Feb 1, 2016
Philadelphia
Can the people who called me slow and laughed at me revisit this trade proposal?

Admins/Mods: If you feel this is in poor taste, please feel free to lock the thread. Apologies in advance. I just feel kind of vindicated, especially given the reactions at the time.

At the time it was a bad trade for the Flyers. Simmonds had just finished his 4th straight season with 28 to 32 goals, He still had 2 full years left on his contract, and had not yet had the injury problems that brought his play down a level.

Debrincat was a high risk prospect due to his size, and would have been a risky pick up at the time.

On top of that the Flyers were retaining half of his salary and taking on a cap dump.

Its easy to look back at trade threads from 2 years ago and point stuff out like this. I'm sure we could find tons from 2 years ago that the concensus was wrong on. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Reactions: Tripod

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Sure, you can throw a bunch of crap at a wall and some of it is bound to stick. In 2011 if someone would have offered Stone for Gudbranson the thread would have been locked in minutes because at the time it was a terrible offer. Just because things change years later doesn't make someone smart just like it doesn't make the people who laughed at it dumb. All we're really discussing here is value and at the time, the value was off. In the same thread he also said the Flyers should have traded Giroux that summer after his 58 point season but I don't see patting himself on the back there. I also don't see him bumping his thread where he wanted to trade Giroux for Galchenyuk. Again, some crap sticks to walls.

That's why the bring back was good. Your claim that all we discuss is value at the time silly/stupid. Nobody had any idea what the value was. People here over value their players and prospects and downplay everyone elses. Most pretend they have some type of actual knowledge. it's why the only reason I come to the "trades page" is for the comedic value.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
That's why the bring back was good. Your claim that all we discuss is value at the time silly/stupid. Nobody had any idea what the value was. People here over value their players and prospects and downplay everyone elses. Most pretend they have some type of actual knowledge. it's why the only reason I come to the "trades page" is for the comedic value.
No, sorry, that's not how values work. Maybe we don't know what the exact value of a player is but just because things and players change years later doesn't mean the value was wrong all along. If the American dollar is worth$.1.25 Canadian today and two years later it's worth $.75 that doesn't mean the value all along was $.75. Values change and just because a 2nd round pick in Debrincat is turning into a star and Simmonds who at the time was one of the best power forwards in the NHL hit a steep decline doesn't change what the value was AT THE TIME. As was already pointed out, there were a few Flyers fans that said the value was off and a bunch of fans of other teams were just as vocal, including some Hawks fans. If every team passes over a player in the draft 6 times, that doesn't mean every scout and GM is an idiot, it just means that the players value changed.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
No, sorry, that's not how values work. Maybe we don't know what the exact value of a player is but just because things and players change years later doesn't mean the value was wrong all along. If the American dollar is worth$.1.25 Canadian today and two years later it's worth $.75 that doesn't mean the value all along was $.75. Values change and just because a 2nd round pick in Debrincat is turning into a star and Simmonds who at the time was one of the best power forwards in the NHL hit a steep decline doesn't change what the value was AT THE TIME. As was already pointed out, there were a few Flyers fans that said the value was off and a bunch of fans of other teams were just as vocal, including some Hawks fans. If every team passes over a player in the draft 6 times, that doesn't mean every scout and GM is an idiot, it just means that the players value changed.

When making a trade proposal you think GM's only look at the value TODAY? Sorry bud. Like I said, this part of the board is for humor purposes only. ... Back in the day (2008 ish) A Leaf fan (Roeper ... Roger? or Robert) proposed they trade Antropov to Chicago for Patrick Sharp and a 2nd. A few Hawk fans claimed the Hawks wouldn't trade Sharp and if anything the Leafs had to add and it would be a lot. Probably 20 leaf fans went nuts claiming Nik had way more talent than Sharp would ever have. ... I went away for a year (OR 8, don't even remember the old screen name) but nothing has changed. I come here to laugh at and be entertained by people.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
When making a trade proposal you think GM's only look at the value TODAY? Sorry bud. Like I said, this part of the board is for humor purposes only. ... Back in the day (2008 ish) A Leaf fan (Roeper ... Roger? or Robert) proposed they trade Antropov to Chicago for Patrick Sharp and a 2nd. A few Hawk fans claimed the Hawks wouldn't trade Sharp and if anything the Leafs had to add and it would be a lot. Probably 20 leaf fans went nuts claiming Nik had way more talent than Sharp would ever have. ... I went away for a year (OR 8, don't even remember the old screen name) but nothing has changed. I come here to laugh at and be entertained by people.
ahhh there this is like this to talk about in the bar in the 70's, this was the sports forum at the time remember this was all for fun and enjoyment of the sport.

don't you do that now-a-days when you go to the sports bar ??

Last edited:

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

Let's look at the pieces of the trade. Alex Debrincat wasn't projected to be a 40 goal scorer in the NHL within 2 years. The 1st round pick was going to be at the very end of the round (it was 29th in the end). Either Hossa (whose career was over) or a 4th liner. On the other hand it was for Simmonds, who just scored 28+ goals for the 4th consecutive season. He had a great, team friendly contract that the OP wanted at 50%. He was/still is a loved figure in Philadelphia. Nobody in their right mind would have done this trade at the time.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Let's look at the pieces of the trade. Alex Debrincat wasn't projected to be a 40 goal scorer in the NHL within 2 years. The 1st round pick was going to be at the very end of the round (it was 29th in the end). Either Hossa (whose career was over) or a 4th liner. On the other hand it was for Simmonds, who just scored 28+ goals for the 4th consecutive season. He had a great, team friendly contract that the OP wanted at 50%. He was/still is a loved figure in Philadelphia. Nobody in their right mind would have done this trade at the time.
Agreed. I get the concept of looking to the future when thinking about trades but it's not like Simmonds was already showing signs of decline or that Debrincat was a top prospect ready to bust out. Value is determined by looking at who the players are now and taking your best guess at what they will be in 3, 4, 5 years in the future. Nobody in this thread came in saying "I've been following Debrincat and I really think he's going to surprise people and be a star in the NHL" or "Simmonds looks like he's losing some foot speed, I can see him starting to decline as soon as next year." if someone justified the trade proposal with one of those reasons I would give them credit but I have a hard time patting someone on the back when he also made other trade proposals around the same time that ending up being terrible in the other direction (Giroux for Galchenyuk). Of course he didn't bump that thread.

Reactions: Dooble08

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad