Post-Game Talk: Flyers at Rangers 11-19-14

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
McDonaugh should take stepan's spot on the PP and play with boyle. Stepan was about as helpful as girardi on the PP.

Also, does anyone know if the game with buffalo is even happening tomorrow?

I suppose you didn't see the assist stepan had for the 2nd goal?

Are you sure you were watching the rangers?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
2nd PP should be Mcdonagh girardi (unfortunately) Kreider zuke and probably Stempniak (they like having the righty shot)

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
2nd PP should be Mcdonagh girardi (unfortunately) Kreider zuke and probably Stempniak (they like having the righty shot)

I went through this in another post maybe a week ago, but if you look at the RH shots on our team, almost all of them play on the PP in some capacity.

Boyle
Girardi
Klein
Stepan
Stempniak
Fast

Only Klein and Fast don't get regular PP minutes. AV likes having a RH shot on the point of the PP, and another at the circle on the weak side. Boyle and Girardi are the point shots, with Stepan and Stempniak being the weak side guys. The only player you could really argue against given our roster composition is Girardi, and it's probably a wash between him and Klein.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If that's fast's great game watch out NHL!!!!

Id actually like to see something different for the bottom 6 hear me out

Hagelin Miller Stempniak
Glass Moore Hayes

Have hayes take boyle's spot. Similar big body guys works the boards deep well maybe recreate some of what we had on the 4th line last year. Glass replaces Dorsett/Carcillo

I believe miller deserves a real shot

Duke shouldn't be playing with a rookie center I think if he's not with Stepan or Brass he should go back

Why is Miller replacing Hayes' spot, despite Hayes clearly being the better player?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Klein is playing like a proper top4 D-man. He's basically giving us a chance to rest Girardi a bit. Having G, Boyle and Klein on the right side is massive

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I don't see why people keep comparing Hayes to Boyle. Is it because they are both big centers? Hayes oozes skill and potential while stone hands Boyle killed pretty much all offense as soon as he touched the puck. Boyle couldn't pass the puck to save his life. Hayes has excellent vision and is a great passer. Hayes can't win a face-off to save his life, Boyle is amazing at them. These two aren't similar at all.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Dominating game from the good guys. Flyers looked slow as **** and were a step behind though. Mason was the only one that showed up for them.

Talbot impressed me the most with his play, especially in the 3rd period. I shut you down! Vintage Cambot.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hayes has been pretty good IMO and continues to make strides. He just needs to find the back of the net more.

Miller has scored 5 goals in 56 games, over 2 seasons.

Hayes has 2 goals in 16 games.

Small sample-size, but I don't see why Miller should be picked over Hayes. His overall play is miles ahead of Miller's

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Hayes has been pretty good IMO and continues to make strides. He just needs to find the back of the net more.

He wasn't even that good last night, but he was still not bad. That's a good sign.

As much as I defend Miller, his bad games are bad. Like, bad bad.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't. I don't want that at all. Far too often over the years, he has been the reason we've won, or gotten a point. I want him to complement the rest of the team. I want them to carry him some nights and I want most wins to come from a total team victory, not from Henrik carrying the team.

I agree with you, but its always nice to have.

AHB*

He wasn't even that good last night, but he was still not bad. That's a good sign.

As much as I defend Miller, his bad games are bad. Like, bad bad.

I think you and I were the most adamant defenders of Miller (and I still have high hopes for him) that being said, I was wrong about this season, Hayes is clearly more ready to handle that 3C role. He gets A LOT of chances. I'm a big fan and can't wait to see him as he continues to develop.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't see why people keep comparing Hayes to Boyle. Is it because they are both big centers? Hayes oozes skill and potential while stone hands Boyle killed pretty much all offense as soon as he touched the puck. Boyle couldn't pass the puck to save his life. Hayes has excellent vision and is a great passer. Hayes can't win a face-off to save his life, Boyle is amazing at them. These two aren't similar at all.

Boyle isn't really amazing at faceoffs, he's a tick above average. Yes Hayes needs to get better at them though

However being big they both take up a lot of ice in the same way to some extent. Hayes creates a lot of turnovers and gets in the way of a lot because of his size, which Boyle did to some extent as well

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I went through this in another post maybe a week ago, but if you look at the RH shots on our team, almost all of them play on the PP in some capacity.

Boyle
Girardi
Klein
Stepan
Stempniak
Fast

Only Klein and Fast don't get regular PP minutes. AV likes having a RH shot on the point of the PP, and another at the circle on the weak side. Boyle and Girardi are the point shots, with Stepan and Stempniak being the weak side guys. The only player you could really argue against given our roster composition is Girardi, and it's probably a wash between him and Klein.

Girardi gets MUCH more time than Klein.... each one should be getting balanced time on BOTH ES and PP...

Persoanlly I think Klein has a better shot and nicer first pass, as well as more confidence with the puck.

Unfortunately for us, neither is good at stickhandling WITH the puck, and that's why our 2nd power play unit sucks...

Hopefully the 3C/3W/4C/4W player that we acquire at the deadline has a Righty shot and power play experience. It would pick that 2nd unit up immensely

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Hayes is clearly more ready to handle that 3C role. He gets A LOT of chances. I'm a big fan and can't wait to see him as he continues to develop.

Agreed, but I still think as the deadline approaches they should be in the market for a 2/3 C, with Hayes moving to wing down the stretch.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Agreed, but I still think as the deadline approaches they should be in the market for a 2/3 C, with Hayes moving to wing down the stretch.

But why? I like the idea of another bottom 6 center, but why are we trying to move Hayes out of where he looks good?

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Great job! Fell asleep midway through the third. Glad I saw most of the action. Easy 3 stars.

Game on Friday postponed ... maybe that's good :D

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
But why? I like the idea of another bottom 6 center, but why are we trying to move Hayes out of where he looks good?

B/c I dont think we can risk our 3rd line C never, literally never, winning a faceoff in the playoffs. He'd be spending all his ice time in his own zone.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
B/c I dont think we can risk our 3rd line C never, literally never, winning a faceoff in the playoffs. He'd be spending all his ice time in his own zone.

that's assuming Hayes doesn't get even an inkling better on faceoffs.... :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

ok then, didn't realize tomorrow was May 2015.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
If that's fast's great game watch out NHL!!!!

Id actually like to see something different for the bottom 6 hear me out

Hagelin Miller Stempniak
Glass Moore Hayes

Have hayes take boyle's spot. Similar big body guys works the boards deep well maybe recreate some of what we had on the 4th line last year. Glass replaces Dorsett/Carcillo

I believe miller deserves a real shot

Duke shouldn't be playing with a rookie center I think if he's not with Stepan or Brass he should go back

Horrible

If anything, Miller should be in for Glass

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
that's assuming Hayes doesn't get even an inkling better on faceoffs.... :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

ok then, didn't realize tomorrow was May 2015.

He's at 30% right now. I hope he does improve as the season progresses however I don't know if he will to the extent that having him as our 3C going into the playoffs would be a smart idea. A move for a guy like Daniel Winnik, or Vermette depending on the cost, would turn a glaring weakness into a strength. Allowing AV to have 4 legit centers who are strong FO men take draws.

I'm not talking about Hayes coming out the line up, I'm simply pointing out that he has one major weakness as of today, and suggesting a path to removing it from the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad