Flyers Announce Six Finalists For Flyers Hall of Fame (10/7 upd: Holmgren and Tocchet Selected)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't really see the point in announcing 'finalists' for this type of thing. If you believe all of them are deserving then put them in. If you don't believe someone on that list is deserving then why tease it?
For one, they've changed the process. I don't know what it was, but it's evidently different (and transparent) now and includes a panel. I figured before that it just came from Snider or Clarke (or Holmgren), but none are full-time in the organization any longer, and Holmgren is a guy who should be in and he's not going to put himself into the Hall of Fame.

Ultimately, I think it's just to build buzz and conversation before the season so that people talk about something that's actually good, doesn't involve talking about last season, or Gritty.

Reactions: Sawdalite

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Forget just Hall Of Fame, Nolan should get a banner like Dave Zinkoff.
I love all the Lou Nolan respect. Players in the HOF also have banners. Lou will get a banner too if he ever retires. Next two choices are Recchi and Tocchet. Recchi may be too much of a Pittsburgh guy, but he deserves it. Gange later., probably Kelly later too. Others can wait longer.

Reactions: sabremike and BiggE

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
I don't really see the point in announcing 'finalists' for this type of thing. If you believe all of them are deserving then put them in. If you don't believe someone on that list is deserving then why tease it?
News for people to get invested in during a down time.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If Brind’Amour is in and Tocchet gets in, I don’t see why Recchi doesn’t. The only reason why Recchi wouldn’t get in is that to do the night they’d like him to be available and not be coaching for another team. I figured that’s why Tocchet isn’t in yet. It would actually be interesting if they went in together since they were traded for each other. Sure he bounced around but the plurality of his career was with the Flyers and holds team records that don’t look like they’re being touched any time soon.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
It's the Flyers' HOF not the League's. I look at how much the person did during their entire career for the the organization. Kelly deserves a nod both for what he did on the ice during his career and off of it later. He always epitomized the little guy who made a life out of hard work. He did his job and never complained. That deserves to be rewarded. On the player side, Tocchet and Recchi had better careers away from here than what they did while they were here. They can go get in the Penguins HOF. Gagne was a good player; great? Not sure about that.
Also this gets in my way with Tocchet. Ex-Flyer Tocchet sentenced to probation for gambling ring

Last edited:

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
Only complaint I ever had, with Gags, was most of his scoring was in the first half, of the season. After that he would drop off alot, goal scoring wise.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
It's the Flyers' HOF not the League's. I look at how much the person did during their entire career for the the organization. Kelly deserves a nod both for what he did on the ice during his career and off of it later. He always epitomized the little guy who made a life out of hard work. He did his job and never complained. That deserves to be rewarded. On the player side, Tocchet and Recchi had better careers away from here than what they did while they were here. They can go get in the Penguins HOF. Gagne was a good player; great? Not sure about that.
Also this gets in my way with Tocchet. Ex-Flyer Tocchet sentenced to probation for gambling ring

Speaking about Recchi; I suggest you review his entire career and then come back and report if he did or did not have have a better career with the Flyers than he did elsewhere... Granted, the other teams may have had better results... but Recchi's stats were arguably better in O&B.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
All of them belong in the Flyers’ HOF. However, I think numbers should be rarely retired

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Speaking about Recchi; I suggest you review his entire career and then come back and report if he did or did not have have a better career with the Flyers than he did elsewhere... Granted, the other teams may have had better results... but Recchi's stats were arguably better in O&B.
He had two big scoring years on a club that was mediocre at best. Later he rode the coattails of Lindros but not as well as LeClair did. Won things in other places; not here. As I said, Penguins HOF.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
All of them belong in the Flyers’ HOF. However, I think numbers should be rarely retired

The Flyers only retire Hockey Hall of Famer numbers at this point.

I do think they'll make an exception to that rule and retire 28 once Giroux retires whether he makes the Hall of Fame or not.

Reactions: 4who4what

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
The Flyers only retire Hockey Hall of Famer numbers at this point.

I do think they'll make an exception to that rule and retire 28 once Giroux retires whether he makes the Hall of Fame or not.
No. It is a rule.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It's not written in stone anywhere. Pretty sure they'll retire the # of a player likely to finish 2nd all time in Flyers history in Games Played, Assists, Points, & Adjusted Points.
Yeah it's pretty clear they make exceptions (Barry Ashbee being the most obvious). HOF guarantees you get the number retired, but a guy like Giroux (especially if he finishes here), they'll make an exception for.

Reactions: Rebels57

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
It's not written in stone anywhere. Pretty sure they'll retire the # of a player likely to finish 2nd all time in Flyers history in Games Played, Assists, Points, & Adjusted Points.
Tell that to Brian Propp, who was top three in GP, G and A before Giroux.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Homer deserves a lot of praise. He started as a pretty decent player who always put the team above stats and personal fame, had some early success as HC inheriting an intact roster before some key players got old and broke down, so he assumed every possible FO position afterwards and in fact did very well for the most part. He dedicated his whole life to this organization and does so much more for the Flyers community than most of us recognize.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Homer deserves a lot of praise. He started as a pretty decent player who always put the team above stats and personal fame, had some early success as HC inheriting an intact roster before some key players got old and broke down, so he assumed every possible FO position afterwards and in fact did very well for the most part. He dedicated his whole life to this organization and does so much more for the Flyers community than most of us recognize.
Additionally he had to please an aging and eventually ill owner who was desperate for another Cup. The pressure on Holmgren to pull that off had to be immense. Probably pressured him into making moves that, under other circumstances, he would not have made. An organization is lucky when they have employees such as Holmgren.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
This first comment really cracked me up.

Screenshot_20210909-172442.jpg

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Lou, Simon, and Holmgren in that order are the only ones who should even be considered and, putting personal issues with se of what Homer did on the front office, he has been a long time faithful to this organization and has earned his spot.

The rest, sorry, I loved them as players, but no, they don't deserve to be on the Flyers hall of fame. I can probably name 20 others who would be more deserving

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I don’t see Joel Otto on that list :huh::huh:

Very few are old enough to know that the reason we went out and got him from the Flames was because Messier was kicking our but I'm the face off circle when he went to the Rags and Otto was one of the very few centers in the league who could counter Mark.

Yes, I'm that old and know this team that intimately

Reactions: Beef Invictus

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Additionally he had to please an aging and eventually ill owner who was desperate for another Cup. The pressure on Holmgren to pull that off had to be immense. Probably pressured him into making moves that, under other circumstances, he would not have made. An organization is lucky when they have employees such as Holmgren.

If Snyder had not forced his hand he would NOT have make the Richards and Carter deals. Homer had signed them to 11 year deals with NMC and was forced to trade them just weeks before the NMC could kick in. Homer was visibly broken up when he had to announce those trades

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Lou, Simon, and Holmgren in that order are the only ones who should even be considered and, putting personal issues with se of what Homer did on the front office, he has been a long time faithful to this organization and has earned his spot.

The rest, sorry, I loved them as players, but no, they don't deserve to be on the Flyers hall of fame. I can probably name 20 others who would be more deserving

Would love to see the list of 20 Flyers more deserving than Recchi (5th all time in Flyers Points Per Game) and Gagne (10th all-time in Goals and Goals Per game).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad