Flyers 50th Anniversary Celebration Thread (New Jersey, Alumni Game, Etc)

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Voila_Capture-2016-02-09_06-15-34_PM-1100x857.jpg

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2016/0...alumni-game-against-penguins-next-season.html

Today marks the 50th anniversary of when Ed Snider was awarded a franchise in Philadelphia, making next season a special one if commemorative events are your fare.

It was reported last Friday that the Flyers and Penguins will celebrate their respective 50th seasons by kicking off what will be the first of perhaps two outdoor games— first in Pittsburgh, then in Philly. The Flyers have other 50th anniversary events planned, CROSSINGBROAD.COM HAS LEARNED.

For select games, they will wear special 50th anniversary jerseys – a preview of which can be seen in this post – that will, for next season, replace their current alternates which were originally the 2012 Winter Classic sweaters. They jersey will be unveiled at the end of the season.

Additionally, though the reported outdoor game has not been confirmed, the Flyers and Penguins will play an Alumni Game at the Wells Fargo Center in 2017. No date has been determined, nor are there dates for the five special “Heritage Nights,†which will presumably games where the anniversary jerseys are worn. Heritage Nights will include a Captains Night, Tough Guys Night, Goalies Night, and Playoff Heroes Night.

Reached for comment about confirming an outdoor game with the Penguins given the obvious Alumni Game tie-in, a Flyers spokesperson said: “We have obviously seen the reports concerning the outdoor game and have been in discussions with the League. It would be a League event and will be announced by the League only when it is official.â€

Now this is Crossing Broad and not exactly a stone concrete source but they claim it will all be announced tonight.

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
They also say that all players that have had their number retired by the Flyers will do a ceremonial puck drop tonight. We'll see if that comes true.

Also, all STH will get one of the jerseys for free next year.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
I don't like the look of that jersey preview. Looks like too much Orange. But the Flyers are usually great with Jerseys so I hope to be surprised.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It's seems like ever since Luukko left & Homer took over there's been a lot more of these special event type things.

Obviously with the 50 year mark something was bound to happen but it seems like the production is a lot more now a days of whatever special event.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Video and logo are now on the team's website.

The GWG and eventual hug with Tocchet and Craven in the 1988 playoffs is among the most remarkable comebacks which led to an iconic image of the two kneeling near the goal crease. The series took a twist from there but that moment was phenomenal. The building was incredibly loud which could be the norm but what a game. Overlooked, perhaps, now.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/video/flyers-50th-the-phone-call/t-277517954/c-41048203

BAvPHkhCUAEz_Ke.jpg-large.jpeg

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
It seems like yesterday! How many here went to a game the first season? A Fan for 50 years! (Or 49)

Last edited:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Confirmed that STH's get a free 50th Anniversary Jersey per account and there will be a Alumni Game between the Flyers and Penguins in 2017 at the Wells Fargo Center.

The Flyers alumni association just had an alumni game in Reading. They did a great job with it. They played Orange team vs White team, all flyers alums. They players really seemed to be having fun with it. Todd Fedoruk scored twice, and his ear to ear grin, and two minute celebration with fist pumps, sliding on one knee, riding his stick like a hobby horse, high fiving every member of his team, etc etc were fun to see. Clarke wasn't moving too well, mostly skated from center ice to a spot between the circles and back, hooking anyone that came close to him. Kimmo and Briere were obviously several steps faster than everyone else, but they took it easy most of the time. They did bench interviews during the play, so it wasn't as boring you might think watching 50 year old guys skating around. Running clock - they called icing, offside, etc but didn't stop the clock for them. One penalty was called for delay of game. I didn't grow up watching the Flyers and I really enjoyed it. Guys I talked to who did grow up with the team were really loving it.

After the game all the players and most of the fans didn't leave for about 15-20 minutes. Crowd kept clapping and chanting and the players kept skating around saluting and waving. Really great night. I'm sure the Wells Fargo version will be even better.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The orange in the 50 is different from the orange on the jersey (it at least looks orange, maybe it's still gold). I wonder if they're going to use different shades of orange.

Kuato

Aug 2, 2010
PA
Meh. The flyers celebrate something every other week. The milestone is somewhat neat, but given that the old man does ceremonies like this half a dozen times a month, Kuato doesn't care too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad