Flyers 3-on-3 unit

SchennSational1022*

Giroux - Voracek
Streit

If we decide to go 3 forwards, which I think we'll see a lot of,

Giroux- Voracek
Couturier

Those 3 are a great blend of speed/skill/puck possession/two way ability.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
3-3 scares me, right now there is very little skating ability on D.

MDZ who isn't even signed is one.
Mevedev who is a complete unknown

Everybody else is mediocre to poor:

MacDonald
Streit

are in the ok category

Gross
Schenn
Schultz
Gudas

are in the don't even see the friggin ice category.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
MacDonald's not a mediocre skater, and you will only need three dmen for OT now. Anything that results in less shootouts is good for the worst team in the league at them.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I said it last night in the other thread but I don't think you'll see much defensemen involved league wide. Pretty much the goalie is going to be the only line of defense in these things.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
3-3 scares me, right now there is very little skating ability on D.

MDZ who isn't even signed is one.
Mevedev who is a complete unknown

Everybody else is mediocre to poor:

MacDonald
Streit

are in the ok category

Gross
Schenn
Schultz
Gudas

are in the don't even see the friggin ice category.

Wouldnt be surprised if on defense if it's Streit or even Medvedev. I remember Hex saying he see's him as a top 4 defender. He also can skate very well. My guess is he will also man the 2nd PP unit.

But regarding 3v3, I think it will be Giroux, Voracek & Streit. Second unit could be Couturier, Read, Medvedev (I am fully expecting Read to bounce back this year), with Read/Schenn (if not traded) trading spots.

Can also see Giroux-Voracek-Couturier, Giroux-Voracek-Schenn, Giroux-Voracek-MDZ. They can really play around with it.

JayRosehillMVP

snubbed again
May 28, 2012
Philadelphia
Giroux at C, MDZ (eventually Ghost) at D, Voracek as a floater. If those guys don't score, I don't see us doing to well in these things with the lack of speed on this team.

SchennSational1022*

MacDonald's not a mediocre skater, and you will only need three dmen for OT now. Anything that results in less shootouts is good for the worst team in the league at them.

Not sure what you are saying, do you think Macdonald is a better than mediocre skater, or even worse than mediocre?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Macdonald isn't slow or lumbering, but he's ok. He'll get toasted and his defense was poor last year, he gave up the blueline

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Giroux-Voracek-Streit is the first obvious one.

Couturier-Simmonds-MDZ for a second pairing...with Ghost potentially supplanting MDZ.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Not sure what you are saying, do you think Macdonald is a better than mediocre skater, or even worse than mediocre?

He's a good skater.

Macdonald isn't slow or lumbering, but he's ok. He'll get toasted and his defense was poor last year, he gave up the blueline

If his defense was poor and he gave up the blueline all the time he would have been near the bottom in shot suppression (CA/60) on the Flyers defense. But he was near the top.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...200&teamid=22&type=corsi&sort=A60&sortdir=ASC

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I actually think Couts would do well 3 on 3 considering he would have a lot more time and space to pick up speed and create plays.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I actually think Couts would do well 3 on 3 considering he would have a lot more time and space to pick up speed and create plays.

... and two fewer players to get through on his trek from the defensive to offensive zone.

Oh, that's right. Berube's gone.

I wouldn't discount B Schenn in the 3-on-3, especially if he builds on his end-of-season improvements. I'd propose the following forward tandems, in order:
Giroux - Voracek
Couturier - Read
Schenn - Simmonds

I could even see Laughton/Cousins - Schenn, depending on how their seasons progress, and assuming they warrant NHL roster slots.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ghost and Sanheim are going to tack on 10 points per season to their individual totals just from 3 on 3 OT lol.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'd always roll with three forwards unless there is a defensive zone draw. Throw out G and Voracek with a guy like Couturier for the top unit. Second unit could be Schenn and Simmer with Raffl. Although a guy like Streit could be useful in these situations as well too. I'm all about "going for it" in overtime, especially given how bad the Flyers are at the shootout, so I'd go all out attack with the 3-on-3 units.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'd always roll with three forwards unless there is a defensive zone draw. Throw out G and Voracek with a guy like Couturier for the top unit. Second unit could be Schenn and Simmer with Raffl. Although a guy like Streit could be useful in these situations as well too. I'm all about "going for it" in overtime, especially given how bad the Flyers are at the shootout, so I'd go all out attack with the 3-on-3 units.

I have to agree with this. Do everything to win during 3-on-3 short of pulling Mason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad