Flyers 2017 Training Camp Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Whenever we talk about A Mac and his contract we always seem to assume he will be gone after his contract expires. Honestly, it would not surprise me in the slightest to see him back in a Flyers jersey after his contract expires. Hak and Hextall obviously like him.

Knock it off.

He has 3 years left. He won't even be here in 2 years let alone extended after his 3rd year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My gut tells me that Hak is the one making the decisions and Hexy's mistake is in deferring too much to the coach. However, I'm not really capable of seeing fault in Hexy, so who knows. Actually, none of us know for sure - we know it is ultimately Hexy's decision, but I don't think we can know how much he is influenced by Hacksaw's hoodoo. I think there's plenty of evidence in Hakstok's line deployment to suggest that this is right down his alley, though. Either way, it stinks.

Yeah, Hextall with decades of NHL experience defers to his college coach with 2 years of experience and his assistant coach with zero years of NHL experience.

The lengths people go to to pretend Hextall washes his hands of personnel decisions.
Hextall may not micro-manage day to day, but do you really believe he doesn't make the final roster decisions, that Hakstol doesn't talk to him on a daily basis and discuss and explain his personnel decisions?
If Hextall didn't like what Hakstol was doing, we'd have a new HC.

Reactions: Shayvan Ghostorov

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Quite frankly I feel a decent amount of these seeming decisions is down to Hextall's philosophy on valuing assets.

Lindblom and Morin/Sanheim are not eligable for waivers.

He'd rather send them down even if they have outplayed guys than bomb say Read's value to worthless or risk losing Leier/Manning by sending them down.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Knock it off.

He has 3 years left. He won't even be here in 2 years let alone extended after his 3rd year.

I like to think that this years has started so he only has 2 years left lol it makes it feel less....

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Those forward lines aren't very good, those D-pairings are absolutely awful, the 2nd pair is the only one I don't expect to be a disaster, but even Ghost isn't that great in the D-zone. There is no shut down d-pairing you can rely on.

Hakstol/Hextall have completely f***ed this situation up.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yeah, Hextall with decades of NHL experience defers to his college coach with 2 years of experience and his assistant coach with zero years of NHL experience.

The lengths people go to to pretend Hextall washes his hands of personnel decisions.
Hextall may not micro-manage day to day, but do you really believe he doesn't make the final roster decisions, that Hakstol doesn't talk to him on a daily basis and discuss and explain his personnel decisions?
If Hextall didn't like what Hakstol was doing, we'd have a new HC.

You are the second person who blazed through that post, saw what you wanted to see rather than what it actually said, and used it as a trampoline to bounce an idea at me so glaringly obvious that it would strike me blind if it stared at me any harder. It's exactly the same as when someone sees that you bought two double cheeseburgers, two large fries, a Blizzard ... and a Diet Coke, screws up their face, and says "A Diet Coke? What good is that going to do you on top of all those calories?" It's masquerading as cleverness, but it's actually the purest form of banality.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Quite frankly I feel a decent amount of these seeming decisions is down to Hextall's philosophy on valuing assets.

He'd rather send them down even if they have outplayed guys than bomb say Read's value to worthless or risk losing Leier/Manning by sending them down.

This is because Allentown is two hours from the home ice.

So he sends them down for four games (the road trip), protects them from starting in a tough environment (West Coast trip), meanwhile tries to trade Read or Leier or Manning (or even MacDonald if he retains 50%), postponing the need to make a decision for a week or two.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but the way Hextall works, keep your options open and don't sacrifice an asset until you've exhausted all means of obtaining value for it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Those forward lines aren't very good, those D-pairings are absolutely awful, the 2nd pair is the only one I don't expect to be a disaster, but even Ghost isn't that great in the D-zone. There is no shut down d-pairing you can rely on.

Hakstol/Hextall have completely ****ed this situation up.

Those D pairings HAVE to not be set in stone, right?

They can't possibly be dressing Manning and sending Morin and Sanheim down to LHV with Lindblom, can they?

They are just evaluating the D still, right?

I'm terrified.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016

That's quite possible. I remember him lamenting over the fact that he had to put Boyd Gordon on waivers.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I just don't see what a couple of months does to either of them that changes the calculus here. It can't be that simple, which leads to...

I definitely agree with this as we've seen it over and over again.

I guess that means we hope for January.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Those D pairings HAVE to not be set in stone, right?

They can't possibly be dressing Manning and sending Morin and Sanheim down to LHV with Lindblom, can they?

They are just evaluating the D still, right?

I'm terrified.

I'm not even that worried, because we still have these guys in the fold either way, but God damn, some of the things in here grind my gears lol.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm not even that worried, because we still have these guys in the fold either way, but God damn, some of the things in here grind my gears lol.

We haven't won a playoff series since 2012. There's no reason to dump this additional torture onto us. It feels like hot tar.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Kicking the can down the road with Sanheim and Lindblom doesn't help them. The Flyers may be rostering a worse team, which could lead to early losses, then you bring them up and they have to adjust, which could still lead to losses. Why not just dress them early and get adjusted early. This whole logic is stupid. Hextall is really starting to piss me off.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
You are the second person who blazed through that post, saw what you wanted to see rather than what it actually said, and used it as a trampoline to bounce an idea at me so glaringly obvious that it would strike me blind if it stared at me any harder. It's exactly the same as when someone sees that you bought two double cheeseburgers, two large fries, a Blizzard ... and a Diet Coke, screws up their face, and says "A Diet Coke? What good is that going to do you on top of all those calories?" It's masquerading as cleverness, but it's actually the purest form of banality.

DQ does make a good double cheese burgers....

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Coaches decide lineups, GMs decide rosters. If Sanheim or Morin go down in favor of Amac or Manning it's on Hextall as much as Hakstol.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Kicking the can down the road with Sanheim and Lindblom doesn't help them. The Flyers may be rostering a worse team, which could lead to early losses, then you bring them up and they have to adjust, which could still lead to losses. Why not just dress them early and get adjusted early. This whole logic is stupid. Hextall is really starting to piss me off.

Agreed.

If they struggle early because of this ass lineup then it becomes even more difficult for them if you call them up into a pressure cooker on a struggling team.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

I wouldn't even be surprised if that was the case. Hextall's obsessed with assets and it's starting to hold the team back.

VoiceOfTheFlyers

Sep 28, 2017
If they send Morin back to LV if I'm him I demand a trade. Nothing to prove in LV, NHL ready, and sending him back down holds his career back.

Just me thinking out loud.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I wouldn't go to nuts about the pairings. I still think Manning is the 7th. Morin & Hagg are playing. Sanheim to LV.

Hextall just had no balls to call 3 rooks on the D. So instead he chooses to field a worse roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad