Flyers 2017 Training Camp Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
MacDonald paired with Provorov again. Someone shoot me in the ****ing face.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
With how Hakstol loves Manning and MacDonald and with how well Morin has played as well as Sanheim and knowing Guess and Provorov are locks,I wonder if Ghost is the one on the outside looking in? Or maybe he's on the trade block?

Provorov MacDonald
Morin Sanheim
Manning Gudas
Hagg

I hope not, but it's very clear Hakstol still isn't a fan of Ghost. And poor Konecny, guy has been a beast in the preseason and now gets saddled with that crap? Way to reward him!

I don't think there is any reason to believe Ghost won't be in the lineup.

We could have had 3 scoring lines and instead we get 2 and then saddle Konecny, who looks phenomenal this preseason, with 2 awful possesion players.

Just awful.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He really is becoming more of the run of the mill GMs out there sadly. He's done a few things right and sometimes not so well at all (i.e. PEB, Hakstol).

I wouldn’t go that far but eventually you have to get the ball rolling here. It’s been five years of watching a garbage product. Not every player needs to spend all this time in the minors.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hextall has no balls, with all the talent in camp they’re finding a way to **** it up.

He really is becoming more of the run of the mill GMs out there sadly. He's done a few things right and sometimes not so well at all (i.e. PEB, Hakstol).

I am in the "starting to think about becoming dissapointed with Hextall over this veteran bullshit camp" after this latest serving of non-sensical bullshit.

Last edited:

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I don't mind Lindblom going down. He looked good in the preseason but there is a logjam at forward and it could be beneficial to his development and help his adjustment to the NA game so he can tear it up when he gets a call up.

Sanheim on the other hand, not good. He deserves to make this team, even if that means going with 3 rookie d-men.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I wouldn’t go that far but eventually you have to get the ball rolling here. It’s been five years of watching a garbage product. Not every player needs to spend all this time in the minors.

Yeah I don't get all this clamoring about youth and etc. if he sends down Sanheim and Lindblom. This team last year was down right terrible besides the lucky 10 game winning streak. This team needs some skill on the LW with Giroux at center.

Reactions: Rebels57

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah with Lindblom, he was steady and good. With Sanheim, at times he was elite.

The kids did what Hextall asked of them...outplay others and prove they belong. To send them back is a slap in the face....even if in the long run, they will be up soon enough and helping.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's like everyone here thought Lindblom wasn't going to have to compete for a spot. This was never the case.

If Lindblom is real, then everything will be fine. If they feel he has to work on his footwork or skating, and then bring him back up at Thanksgiving, I'm good with that.

Reactions: eramosat

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Overreaction much?
1) decisions have yet to be made
2) said decisions are not writ in stone
3) with surplus talent, a trade(s) is close to certain
4) playing a lot of minutes in the AHL is good preparation for a call up

In other words, let's see how this all plays out over the next couple months.
Next year Read and Filppula are almost certainly gone ($8M), Lehtera has one year left and MacDonald and Weise two years.
So a bunch of players could be movin' on.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
It's like everyone here thought Lindblom wasn't going to have to compete for a spot. This was never the case.

If Lindblom is real, then everything will be fine. If they feel he has to work on his footwork or skating, and then bring him back up at Thanksgiving, I'm good with that.

My big gripe with this is Giroux played with Mr. Can't Skate Hartnell for years and was a solid combo. No reason he can't do drills and such while playing in the NHL.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Overreaction much?

Next year Read and Filppula are almost certainly gone ($8M), Lehtera has one year left and MacDonald and Weise two years.

This isn't an overreaction after the play of last year. They were down right terrible. Lindblom played in the SHL, Sanheim played in the AHL and what do those guys learn from playing in the AHL? This isn't an issue that the Flyers are loaded and really don't have space because of quality players. I'd like for this team to look substantially different than last year because it wasn't working.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
If flyers think that Giroux at 1LW has to happen, I think I'd rather have

Weise-Flippula-Konecny
Leier-Laughton-Raffl

Then

Lindblom-Flippula-Konecny
Raffl-Laughton-Weise

By USA thanksgiving/Xmas when injuries happen, or if Lindblom is doing well, call him up. Their seems like enough offensive talent in LHV that Lindblom shouldn't suffer. However Gordon MUST use Lindblom as a 1A type of player with PP and PK time.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Overreaction much?

gnrl.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This isn't an overreaction after the play of last year. They were down right terrible. Lindblom played in the SHL, Sanheim played in the AHL and what do those guys learn from playing in the AHL? This isn't an issue that the Flyers are loaded and really don't have space because of quality players. I'd like for this team to look substantially different than last year because it wasn't working.

But they weren't terrible last year, once they added Filppula and Weal, they were scoring above the league average at ES for the first time in five years.
They missed the playoffs because the goalies sucked donkey cock.
And the defense had 2 1/2 legitimate defensemen (Provorov, Gudas and Ghost on the PP, not ES).

So even if Lindblom and Sanheim were to be sent back to the AHL, this team is still much improved over last year.
Unless of course Elliott and Neuvirth eat moose dung.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Given the presence of Andrew MacDonald on the roster, the coach will use him with Provorov on the top pair. He can't help himself.

So, Sanheim gets sent down for an indefinite period of time to work on vague, nebulous things, which is really a guise for: "We don't want to have so many rookies in the lineup."

But in order for Sanheim to crack the team now, either a long-term injury has to occur (and it's no given it's not an injury to a non A-Mac defensemen.....and letting an NHL ready prospect wait it out for an injury at some unknown point in time is awful to begin with) or MacDonald has to be moved to the press box. But the coach will use MacDonald in his top 6. So, how is Sanheim getting a call-up? When? It's just kicking the can down the road because you're too afraid to make a difficult decision. But hey, maybe Sanheim will get to play in game 82. That'd be nice for him.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
When did Weal come up? The last 20 or so games? He played well in that period of time but I'd like to see how it pans out over a season of playing. I'm not ecstatic about going into this season without the best combo of players on the roster. Why should this team consist of Andrew MacDonald and Weise not being relegated to the 4th line? The jury is still out on the #1 PP being as good as it was now that Schenn is gone.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Alright, I've checked CSNPhilly.com, Philly.com, Flyers.NHL.com and I've seen nothing as it pertains to the final cuts yet. Is it a sure thing that Sanheim and Lindblom have been cut and sent to Lehigh Valley? Once again, everything I've checked has come back with nothing about any cuts yet.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Alright, I've checked CSNPhilly.com, Philly.com, Flyers.NHL.com and I've seen nothing as it pertains to the final cuts yet. Is it a sure thing that Sanheim and Lindblom have been cut and sent to Lehigh Valley? Once again, everything I've checked has come back with nothing about any cuts yet.

Cuts will happen after tomorrow's game. Per Hextall.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
First of all, how the hell have you not been to a game yet? :laugh:

Second, it's extremely obnoxious. It's not done after a play or during a stoppage.. it's done randomly throughout play and it distracts from the viewing experience. The players themselves have publicly voiced their displeasure in it as well.

Terrible, horrible, no good, very bad trend.

Idk I just never had anyone to go with so I just decided to go by myself this year. If you've ever been to a wretling event half the fun is screaming random slogans, wooing, etc. Even when there's nothing going on it gives the event a unique feel in North American sporting events. I like it personally but of course I'lls ave my judgment til after I experience it live.

What bothers me about the prospective open night lineup is what i've been saying: I think we're mistiming our window.

How many prime years do G, Voracek, and Simmonds have left? Will Patrick, Konecny, Rubtsov, etc. be good enough to replace them? By hanging on to vets and reliability youre basically condenming the team to another year in purgatory and another wasted year of our current vet core's declining primes. I'm more bullsih than most but if we played our young guys the chances of us actually making a run jump considerably.

The upside I guess is that this likely backfires and has Hakstol on the hotseat by the end of the first month or so

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014

I think the D decisions should be separated from the O decisions for arguments sakes. I'd say that are D rookies have little to gain from LHV, outside of maybe Sanheim who should be a flyer, but a short stint in the AHL won't be a complete waste of time if used properly.

Lindblom imo isn't cracking our top 6 when then use G as a LW. And Lindblom shouldnt be used as a 4th liner with us having other young options who need to pass waivers. If the LL Raff-J lines works out, then that's a huge unexpected bonus for this year and even next year, and prob gives Hexy the flexibility to buy someone out or move a bad contract with a asset like a NAK

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
My big gripe with this is Giroux played with Mr. Can't Skate Hartnell for years and was a solid combo. No reason he can't do drills and such while playing in the NHL.

Because you want guys to play games. Doing drills in practice isn't going to get you to the finish line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad