Flyers' 2017-18 roster discussion, part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
I think it will take time both for Morin to fit in and for fans to appreciate what he brings, the same way it took time to realize that Gudas could do more than hit people and fight.

Sanheim will make the flashy plays like Ghost, Provorov is the rock upon which Hextall will build his team, but Morin is going to be Gandalf on the bridge "you shall not pass" to the Balrogs of the NHL. Morin has tremendous size and good speed, just has to work on the lateral agility, like most big men. But his size and reach, combined with an aggressive nature, could allow him to be the defensive defenseman that just shuts down rushes, clears the crease, makes forwards wary of going into corners, and breaks up 2 on 1 simply by poking pucks away from across the ice.

Agreed 100%. I think he will end up a fan favorite after the adjustment period.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He tried Cousins and Luby and Weise and Read on the 4th line and it didn't make a bit of difference. What that line needed was a better center, which is why I think PEB will become a RW.

Hatkstol stayed with Provorov despite one of the worst games we've ever seen from any Flyer player. So he can be patient.

He benched Konecny and Ghost b/c of mental mistakes and habits he was trying to break (and there has never been even a hint that Hextall disagreed with that approach).

When Weise clicked with Couts and Schenn, that line was untouched for the last 14 games.

That's because the biggest issue with it was the constants... Bellemare and Vandevelde.

It's like saying "Yeah, we tried dying the hair, cutting the hair, shaving his whole head... but nope, he still had the brain tumor...". No ****, you're changing things around the problem, not the problem itself. You can't expect to toss a player on that line and fix everything while not addressing the real problem.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I think Hischier starts out on the wing but I think Patrick is a center from day 1.

which is why Filppula Patrick/Hischier Simmonds would be a great 3rd line. if Nico is the pick, Filp can slide to C for his one year and then Nico can switch back in 2018.

we should definitely be looking at the lineup as C/RW pairs. Giroux/Voracek have chemistry, Couts/Schenn do as well. and while it's an unknown, i like the idea of having Simmonds with our #2. he can make sure no team takes cheap shots at our rookie. Simmonds would be a good protector for them.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
it is going to take longer for Morin to reach his potential then the other young defenseman.

I have this feeling that he is going to be so different (better) than what we have witnessed (endured) the past two seasons that he is really going to be appreciated (taken for granted) by a lot of (four or five) people. I can't wait to see him.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Depth
Konecny Giroux Jake
Weal Filppula Simmonds
Weise Couturier Schenn
Lindblom Nolan Raffl
PEB Laughton Read
Leier Vecchione Cousins

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I have this feeling that he is going to be so different (better) than what we have witnessed (endured) the past two seasons that he is really going to be appreciated (taken for granted) by a lot of (four or five) people. I can't wait to see him.

I think he will too, but I think he likely is going to be given safe and sheltered minutes to build up his confidence early on. How long that takes to get that point where they can really unleash him who knows.
But I also think teams are going to test his temperament as well.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I think he will too, but I think he likely is going to be given safe and sheltered minutes to build up his confidence early on. How long that takes to get that point where they can really unleash him who knows.
But I also think teams are going to test his temperament as well.

I think so too. The great thing about him is that he seems so eager to learn - once we get a coach who can teach him something, he will soak it up like a sponge and learn quickly what he can and can't do, I think. And this first year while we still probably won't have anything serious at stake, it will be fantastic to watch him ragdoll ****s like Jason Chimera and Tom F. Wilson.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
which is why Filppula Patrick/Hischier Simmonds would be a great 3rd line. if Nico is the pick, Filp can slide to C for his one year and then Nico can switch back in 2018.

If there is anyone I want to show the ropes to Nico it's Giroux. I also think he would help to energize Giroux as well. For all we know Filppula will see writing on the wall and be mentally checks out long before the season is over.

we should definitely be looking at the lineup as C/RW pairs. Giroux/Voracek have chemistry, Couts/Schenn do as well. and while it's an unknown, i like the idea of having Simmonds with our #2. he can make sure no team takes cheap shots at our rookie. Simmonds would be a good protector for them.

It's cute you think Simmonds can prevent injuries to other players, but most he can do is lay a beating on someone and take instigator for it.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
It's cute you think Simmonds can prevent injuries to other players, but most he can do is lay a beating on someone and take instigator for it.

no one said anything about preventing injuries, but some players might hesitate to take a cheap shot if they know Simmonds will be there to dish it right back out on them.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If there is anyone I want to show the ropes to Nico it's Giroux. I also think he would help to energize Giroux as well. For all we know Filppula will see writing on the wall and be mentally checks out long before the season is over.

He's playing for his next contract.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I think so too. The great thing about him is that he seems so eager to learn - once we get a coach who can teach him something, he will soak it up like a sponge and learn quickly what he can and can't do, I think. And this first year while we still probably won't have anything serious at stake, it will be fantastic to watch him ragdoll ****s like Jason Chimera and Tom F. Wilson.

Not to mention the first time he tries to break Crosby and or malkin in half with a cross check the fans will love him as they do in Allentown. Gudas/ morin on the team as the thunder and sanheim/ghost the Lightning. Myers and provy are a mix in between with hagg and or Friedman as depth the future looks bright :)

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

I agree here. We have a ton of players competing for spots up front, but there is one sensible lineup that seems to be prevailing as consensus on here as a starting point:

Lindblom-Giroux-Voracek
Konecny-Couturier-Schenn
Hischier/Filppula-Patrick/Filppula-Simmonds

Gives each of the young guys two veterans to work with and keeps in tact pairs that have historically been successful. I'm super curious to see how the fourth line shakes out. Even the worst possible lineup Hakstol could come up with should still have four solid lines.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
With lots of young players joining the team we need some boys to stand up besides Manning for them. We almost had Matt Martin last yr and he would be great for that roll. Seeing ghost get run a bunch of times last yr and nobody doing a ****ing thing about it makes me sick. Morin helps but Simmonds better stop thinking he's Gretzky and get into it.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I see a Coburn like career for him, and I imagine he'll be a guy who is much scarier in the playoffs when the intensity ramps up and the rule book isn't enforced.

Not that the regular season doesn't matter at all but the team should be constructed to win playoff games where the refs swallow their whistles for all but the most obvious of penalties. Its also why building depth is so important going forward.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
With lots of young players joining the team we need some boys to stand up besides Manning for them. We almost had Matt Martin last yr and he would be great for that roll. Seeing ghost get run a bunch of times last yr and nobody doing a ****ing thing about it makes me sick. Morin helps but Simmonds better stop thinking he's Gretzky and get into it.

Who cares? Fighting doesn't prevent anything. It didn't back in the day & it doesn't now.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Grit is all that matters. This is UFC, not a spot where you're supposed to score or have skill. :laugh:

It's entertaining (although most of the guys these days are actually terrible fighters on average) & both from a fan/player standpoint there is a satisfaction with an eye for an eye. But it doesn't change the way other players play. Dirty players are dirty & agressive players are aggressive. You can beat them up as many times as you want but they're not changing. Matthew Barnaby got his ass kicked almost every fight he ever had (he fought a lot & often against guys who were a lot bigger & tougher than him). He was true from the beginning to the end of his career when it came to his role despite that.

kammy

Jun 29, 2007
I see a Coburn like career for him, and I imagine he'll be a guy who is much scarier in the playoffs when the intensity ramps up and the rule book isn't enforced.

:handclap:
rust3.gif

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I miss the days of fighting, but its a different sport at this point and fighting is on the way out.

Unfortunately.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I miss the days of fighting, but its a different sport at this point and fighting is on the way out.

Unfortunately.
It might be but team still stand up for one another. G could get nailed by Phanuef and only Manning would stand up where every other team has a handful of guys to stand up.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I kind of prefer the "fighting as needed" situation. I would remove the instigator penalty though. Let them police themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad