Flyers' 2017-18 roster discussion, part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
would anyone hate bringing in Ryan Miller? he's def not looking long term, 2 years max could be a good bridge for cheap

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It could be because he went out west & played on a team that sucked (sans that short stop in St. Louis) but that guy was a massive whiner in Buffalo. Always complaining to media about somebody who wronged him or the Sabres in his mind.

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
It could be because he went out west & played on a team that sucked (sans that short stop in St. Louis) but that guy was a massive whiner in Buffalo. Always complaining to media about somebody who wronged him or the Sabres in his mind.

tim and sammy would looooove that

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
According to IMBD, Millers wife has/is working on 3 projects this year...assuming in LA. That, plus a 2 year old child means he likely will look to stay in the West.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I would pass on Miller. My preferences are as follows:

1. Ben Bishop
2. Steve Mason
3. Jonathan Bernier
4. Brian Elliott
5. Jaroslav Halak (trade)

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I know it would never happen but I'd love to see what we could do with Ilya on our roster.
2018 1st + Myers/Hagg for Kolvachuk.

Ilya - Giroux - Simmonds
Lindblom - Nico/Nolan - Voracek
TK - Coots - Schenn
Cousins - Filppula - Laughton

/Bellmare/Read/Weise/Raffl/Weal/Vecchione/etc.

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I know it would never happen but I'd love to see what we could do with Ilya on our roster.

Ilya - Giroux - Simmonds
TK - Coots - Schenn

While you're at it why don't you send them Sanheim and the 2nd overall while you're at it?
New Jersey won't be getting anything close to that for Kovalchuk.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
While you're at it why don't you send them Sanheim and the 2nd overall while you're at it?
New Jersey won't be getting anything close to that for Kovalchuk.

A first and a player isn't all that much considering the Devils probably don't want to trade to a rival, and in my pipe dream that's a really late first round pick.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Bishop's rights to Dallas for a 4th.

Probably eliminates him as an option. After what Dallas has gone through with the goalie position the last few years I expect them to give Bishop a long term deal paying him a lot of money and ensure that they didn't trade that pick for nothing. They will bid against themselves just as Carolina did with Scott Darling.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
A first and a player isn't all that much considering the Devils probably don't want to trade to a rival, and in my pipe dream that's a really late first round pick.

You're severely underrating Myers by putting him in the same conversation as Hagg.

Kovalchuk is 34 and needs a contract. I'd imagine the price ends up around a 2 and a run of the mill prospect.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There's a huge gap between 4/16.6 and 9/51, especially with the cap being higher now than in 2011.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
You're severely underrating Myers by putting him in the same conversation as Hagg.

Kovalchuk is 34 and needs a contract. I'd imagine the price ends up around a 2 and a run of the mill prospect.

I love Myers but his concussion history coupled with his style of play scares me in the long run. Of our current D those are the two I would consider "expendable". I would consider Hagg ready before Myers but being lesser of the two players.
Am I wrong in thinking that Kovalchuk has a current one year contract or is he considered a free agent?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Yeah Radulov was 29-30 years old & it only cost Montreal $5.75 on a one year deal. There really wasn't any downside given the investment there. If it didn't work out they walked away after the year only losing the money which isn't a big deal to a club like that. Nobody is going to give a lot of value in assets for an older player who's in his mid-thirty's & probably on a similar contract with Kovalchuk who hasn't played in the NHL for four years now.

Even Shipachyov didn't come with much risk at 30 years old & never playing in the NHL. A two year deal at $4.5M for a team starting from scratch. The attractiveness of these KHL (or overseas) players is that they're not really costing a lot in commitment. Teams aren't really needed to given assets up for them in most cases & the contracts aren't really investing a whole lot. Usually short term with some decent coin to but nothing earth shattering.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Ilya - Giroux - Simmonds
TK - Coots - Schenn

That is a disgustingly gross offer for a past-his prime flake.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
We don't even need Kovalchuk. We're not as desperate as Montreal was last summer and our depth on wing is fine as it is.
I wouldn't trade anything of worth for him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What would be a more realistic offer to convince jersey to trade to a rival?

So we should overpay for a well past his prime player because he's on a rival?

:shakehead

A realistic offer is whatever he is actual value is, and if NJ didn't want to make the deal, you move on.

As others have mentioned, he's worth no more than a 2nd and B prospect at this point. If he comes back and looks awesome, his value may go up. As of right now, it's not very high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad