Flyers' 2017-18 roster discussion, part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think you underestimate how much of a motivator money can be. :laugh:

If a player believes that it'll help him stick in the NHL, you better believe they're going to take some punches.

Last night you had Jared Boll cracking up laughing in the penalty box minutes after getting punched out. The dude happily took that trade off knowing he goaded a guy into taking a penalty which his team would shortly score on.

These guys are cut from a different cloth & wired differently. You can't normalize something that just isn't normal.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm outside grilling dinner and went through all my usual sites. Just for conversations sake, would you trade Schenn to the Caps for Johansson?
I believe Oshie and Williams both need contracts and they are caught up near the cap ceiling.

Schenn makes more than Marcus, so that doesn't help them.

I just keep Schenn and the extra year on his deal.

Richards18Forever

Nov 15, 2006
philadelphia
Nichuskin and puljujarvi are looking like so interesting targets. also would like some kind of a Mccleod or Martin in our organization. and can we please trade some bottom six forwards!!! we have like 18 nhl calibre forwards

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Nichuskin and puljujarvi are looking like so interesting targets. also would like some kind of a Mccleod or Martin in our organization. and can we please trade some bottom six forwards!!! we have like 18 nhl calibre forwards

So you want to trade some bottom six forwards to bring more in? As that's what basically those other players are too.

We got a facepuncher in Bellemare. He might not actually do much face punching but he has the talent level of one.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Last night you had Jared Boll cracking up laughing in the penalty box minutes after getting punched out. The dude happily took that trade off knowing he goaded a guy into taking a penalty which his team would shortly score on.

These guys are cut from a different cloth & wired differently. You can't normalize something that just isn't normal.

Sure some people are just psychopaths and money is a great motivator. I just think at some point some people are less likely to play more on the dirty side when the potential to get punched might be there. (i.e. Crosby slashing someone or etc.) I certainly don't think someone would have stopped Scott Stevens from his hits and such though.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Sure some people are just psychopaths and money is a great motivator. I just think at some point some people are less likely to play more on the dirty side when the potential to get punched might be there. (i.e. Crosby slashing someone or etc.) I certainly don't think someone would have stopped Scott Stevens from his hits and such though.

I'm. It a psychopath (psychopaths wouldn't say that right?) but I'd have no problem with playing 4th line minutes and fighting every so often for that kind of money.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Sure but for the most part I would say there's a lot more Stevens' out there compared to Crosby's.

In general the league on & off the ice is having the biggest impact in eradicating extra stuff from the game despite the constant complaints. It's not perfect but it never will be unless all physical play is eliminated.

Unfortunately for guys like Crosby there's certainly a class factor that comes in that let's him off the hook. It's easy to suspend the guy in the background but the star player. It's a different case unfortunately with all involved.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Just totally spit balling here but I would love Scott Hartnell to be back if he was willing to come back. Trade CBJ MacDonald to free up one of those NMC they have to protect so they can protect another player. Salary is about the same but the quality of player is significantly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad