Flyers' 2017-18 roster discussion, part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
So who is next guy up? Amac, Gudas or Morin

That's why you don't go into next season with Hagg, Morin, Provorov, Ghost, Gudas, Amac, and a Manning as your 7 guys. Need at least one more guy that can create offense.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This team didn't make the playoffs two years ago, barely made it last year, and missed it this year. .

And you were surprised?
You didn't follow Hextall's personnel moves?
It's not like they did much to upgrade the last three years.

2014-15:
signed MDZ, Schultz, traded Hartnell for Umberger, Coburn for Gudas, Kimmo for picks
2015-16:
traded Rinaldo, signed Neuvirth, traded Schenn & Vinnie for Weal
2016-17:
signed Weiss, traded Streit for Filppula

Prospects:
Provorov, Konency, Lyubimov, Stolarz 2016-17
Manning, Cousins [Laughton] 2015-16
Vandervelde 2014-15

Not exactly an aggressive approach to talent acquisition the last three years.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Do we have a hockey ops guy yet, or whatever they are called lol. As long as everyone knows their role, I'm okay with lots of hockey minds around. Pryor is my favourite guy, and hope they continue to promote him through the ranks. Think he make a great GM

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
That's why you don't go into next season with Hagg, Morin, Provorov, Ghost, Gudas, Amac, and a Manning as your 7 guys. Need at least one more guy that can create offense.

Hagg isn't a bad 3rd option, considering that the future looks real bright with Sanheim ready at somepoint this year, and Myers next. I don't think we should be looking for another D that can create ($$$$) unless Amac is shipped out.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Don't need to do that. Just bring up Sanheim, who is a better prospect than Hagg or Morin.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Hagg isn't a bad 3rd option, considering that the future looks real bright with Sanheim ready at somepoint this year, and Myers next. I don't think we should be looking for another D that can create ($$$$) unless Amac is shipped out.

You included two options in your post.

If Hagg is your 3rd best option offensively on the blueline, you are in for a long season. They need to create more scoring chances. Hagg could be a solid contributor, but if you are counting on him for offense you are going to be disappointed.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This all gets resolved in TC.
Juniors is against boys, AHL is against men with limited skill sets.
Pre-season and practice you can see if they're mentally and physically ready to take the next step.

If a young defenseman makes the team, it'll be to play a regular shift.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They aren't judging anything by practice or preseason...

Practice... which is practice...

And preseason... which is merely a scrimmage against a mixture of NHL, AHL, and prospects...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When you look at young players, what you want to see is how they're progressing, you know where they were in April, you want to see where they are in September, have they filled out, have they gained a half stride, do they look more instinctual.

Hextall made it clear he had to feel Konency was NHL ready or he was going to send him back to juniors, and obviously, he was making that decision on what he saw last September.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
And you were surprised?
You didn't follow Hextall's personnel moves?
It's not like they did much to upgrade the last three years.

2014-15:
signed MDZ, Schultz, traded Hartnell for Umberger, Coburn for Gudas, Kimmo for picks
2015-16:
traded Rinaldo, signed Neuvirth, traded Schenn & Vinnie for Weal
2016-17:
signed Weiss, traded Streit for Filppula

Prospects:
Provorov, Konency, Lyubimov, Stolarz 2016-17
Manning, Cousins [Laughton] 2015-16
Vandervelde 2014-15

Not exactly an aggressive approach to talent acquisition the last three years.

I'm not surprised but different personnel choices could have been done to try and produce a better performance of the #2 unit but it was the same old same old game in and game out.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The 2nd unit hasn't looked good for a while. I can't remember what it looked like when Pronger and Timonen were still here but it would probably have to go back to then for a good #2 unit. Regardless if they were scoring goals or not their overall play the past few years has just been garbage.

I don't get your shtick. This team didn't make the playoffs two years ago, barely made it last year, and missed it this year. There is a lot to gripe about when it comes to Hakstol, this teams makeup, and some of the players usage. I don't accept mediocrity as success and neither should any fan of this team.

If this team was like the blackhawks and won the cup 3 times in the past 7-8 years I would get it but this team sucks.

my shtick? what?
I have on more than one occasion voiced my concerns about this club. they are an average team that is flawed up and down the lineup. Take out that 10 game winning streak and they are the Buffalo Sabres.
I also am in favor of tweaking the veteran core. That has come with some resistance on this board. I recognize the flaws of this team.
Hakstol frustrates me as well. If he cant get better results out of what should be a better team next year than it is time to move on from him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Ghost will be protected. This only applies too RFAs and UFAs who might not be protected like Laughton and Weal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad