Post-Game Talk: Flyers 2 Oilers 1

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You know Eberle hasn't scored a single goal this season. Gifted 1st line mins 1st PP and stuck to the right of Tavares.

Life is great being a cozy 6M made man longterm. Why risk breaking your face getting into the slot, the crease and money scoring areas. That Eberle long ago made the decision to just be a peripheral player putting his own self protection above the team has been obvious for years. His bookend Nuge does the same. That's the good thing about Hall is he was shorting fans in that way. He was going to the danger areas, he had not hesitation to make dangerous rushes. Its far easier to respect that.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
He hasn't scored in 21 straight games now and doesn't drive any offence. He was part of the problem.

However we are still stuck with no.93 and no.27 ... and they are both still a problem.

They could easily mitigate the problem by not playing those two together anymore. Lucic badly needs a playmaker, a role RNH has conclusively proven that he has no ability to fill throughout his career.

The injury to Drai doesn't help as he could theoretically anchor that line alongside Lucic, but the coach refuses to break up the Drai/Mcdavid unit anyways, so it doesn't really matter if Drai/Lucic have shown chemistry in the past and could probably form a duo that could lead to a more balanced offense behind Mcdavid.

Last edited:

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Both Flyers goals Russell is laying on the ice being completely useless.

What a bad contract and defenceman.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Both Flyers goals Russell is laying on the ice being completely useless.

What a bad contract and defenceman.

First game that wasn’t his best and this board is roasting him.

Meanwhile Klefbom forgot his brain in Sweden but it’s all good!

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They could easily mitigate the problem by not playing those two together anymore. Lucic badly needs a playmaker, a role RNH has conclusively proven that he has no ability to fill throughout his career.

The injury to Drai doesn't help, but the coach refuses to break up the Drai/Mcdavid unit anyways, so it doesn't really matter if Drai/Lucic have shown chemistry in the past and could probably form a formative duo and more balanced offense behind Mcdavid.
despite losing games, there could be a benefit to losing Drai for a bit if it means that Yamamoto and McDavid develop enough chemistry for coaching to be comfortable with putting Drai on a 2nd line with Lucic, and maybe RNH on the wing. I am in favour of putting together whatever works, especially to make McDavid reach his max, but I agree that RNH and Lucic don't seem like they have the chemistry to be a duo

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Alexander Appleyard @avappleyard
McDavid was on ice for 7:09 at 5v5 vs @NHLFlyers Couturier today.
His CF% vs Couturier? 36.36%.
In 8:19 away from Couturier? 86.67% #Flyers

What we wish Nuge could actually do to other teams

Couturier has been arguably one of the best shutdown centers in the NHL for several years now.

Considering that RNH doesn't have the attributes to do what Couturier does at the NHL level, the regret is more in that the Oilers chose to draft RNH over him half a decade ago.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
So true, and the jury is stil out on wether Drasisaitl can as well.

It would be absolutley ridiculous and embarassing if Vegas makes the play offs, an expansion team, and we do not.

Whats ridiculous we couldn't offer something to nashville for Neal

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So true, and the jury is stil out on wether Drasisaitl can as well.

It would be absolutley ridiculous and embarassing if Vegas makes the play offs, an expansion team, and we do not.

I think its obvious how much the club misses Draisaitl on the ice. They miss his driving offense, his finish, his making world class passing plays. Draisaitl can certainly drive offense. Theres precious little of it as well without him in the lineup.

Last 4 games without Drai the Oilers have scored 7 goals and 3 of those were score effect goals due to the Canes taking the foot off the gas. Twice the Oilers have scored 1goal and once 2 goals, one being 3 on 3 play in OT. We're lucky to have the one OTW.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I think its obvious how much the club misses Draisaitl on the ice. They miss his driving offense, his finish, his making world class passing plays. Draisaitl can certainly drive offense. Theres precious little of it as well without him in the lineup.

Last 4 games without Drai the Oilers have scored 7 goals and 3 of those were score effect goals due to the Canes taking the foot off the gas. Twice the Oilers have scored 1goal and once 2 goals, one being 3 on 3 play in OT. We're lucky to have the one OTW.

he's a RW that benefits from McDavid, and before that, benefited from Hall...those guys drove the offence....I want to see Drai do that by himself centering his own line.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
he's not a slow lumbering power forward, so he was always out of the question.
also, .....what do you think Chia would have offered NSH? Drai + 1st.

Sadly I would have just offered up Eberle. But Chia proably would have gone Drai + Nurse+ 1st + 2nd

Reactions: booyakasha

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Alexander Appleyard @avappleyard
McDavid was on ice for 7:09 at 5v5 vs @NHLFlyers Couturier today.
His CF% vs Couturier? 36.36%.
In 8:19 away from Couturier? 86.67% #Flyers

What we wish Nuge could actually do to other teams

That's the worrying part...McDavid can be shut down i.e. Kesler Schiefele Couturier etc. And the list of able shut down guys is getting longer.
The book on how to beat the oilers isn't a novel, it's a short story. Shut down Mcdavid and you win. Chiarelli better come up with a remedy for this or he'll be gone by Christmas when Oilers are 5 games under .500

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
he's a RW that benefits from McDavid, and before that, benefited from Hall...those guys drove the offence....I want to see Drai do that by himself centering his own line.

Those players also benefit from Draisaitl who increases their production.

hey you could put Lucic, Slepy with Draisaitl and they would produce. Both do good with him.

Drai is a sublime playmaker, scorer, is excellent on the cycle and forcheck.

Saying Draisaitl can't drive offense is like saying Kopitar can't. They're almost identical players.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That's the worrying part...McDavid can be shut down i.e. Kesler Schiefele Couturier etc. And the list of able shut down guys is getting longer.
The book on how to beat the oilers isn't a novel, it's a short story. Shut down Mcdavid and you win. Chiarelli better come up with a remedy for this or he'll be gone by Christmas when Oilers are 5 games under .500

Chia won't be gone anywhere. We better hope this works. He'll be here a longtime.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Those players also benefit from Draisaitl who increases their production.

hey you could put Lucic, Slepy with Draisaitl and they would produce. Both do good with him.

Drai is a sublime playmaker, scorer, is excellent on the cycle and forcheck.

Saying Draisaitl can't drive offense is like saying Kopitar can't. They're almost identical players.

I 100% agree with all of this.
all I'm saying is I have never seen Draisaitl drive offence yet ......time for him to get his own line and prove it. ( which Kopitar has done for yeas)

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He tried, but that team was terrible.

so its more a product of needed a support cast like Will Butcher, Nico Hischier, Marcus Johansson and Jesper Bratt than Hall actually driving the NJ Devils offense

His numbers(outside GF due to a stupid low ONSH%) relative to the Devils were about the same or than than McDavid's numbers relative to the rest of the Oilers.
Hall ONSH% will never be high, he takes a TON of low percentage shots from long range, hence being a corsi God

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I 100% agree with all of this.
all I'm saying is I have never seen Draisaitl drive offence yet ......time for him to get his own line and prove it. ( which Kopitar has done for yeas)
You missed the Anaheim series? PS my Avatar has Drai chewing on duck. If the rest of the club could have done much of anything against the Ducks we win that series hands down. Drai excelled once he was given his own line.

But it should be rugged players. Guys that play big, possess the puck. Drai works best with players that like him can keep the puck but have enough talent to move it around.

These are players Drai could easily play with and all who do better playing with Drai;

Lucic, Slepy, Maroon, Kass, Pakarinen, Strome.

Any of those would be good with Drai. It doesn't take much.

Conversely I would not put Kailer, or Nuge, or Cagg with Drai. He does better on legion of doom type lines.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

McDavid will adjust he's still a young player. Could be worse. We could have drafted Sam Bennett over Leon Draisaitl, lol.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
so its more a product of needed a support cast like Will Butcher, Nico Hischier, Marcus Johansson and Jesper Bratt than Hall actually driving the NJ Devils offense

Hall ONSH% will never be high, he takes a TON of low percentage shots from long range, hence being a corsi God

He was one of the top players in the league for % of a team's CF when he was on the ice. It was a product of playing with players who couldn't score.

As for his ONSH% never being high...

17/18: 12.28 (4th)
16/17: 6.47 (8th)
15/16: 8.63 (3rd behind McDavid and Maroon)
14/15: 9.57 (2nd behind Pouliot)
13/14: 9.96 (1st on the Oilers)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad