Post-Game Talk: Flyers 2 Oilers 1

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Hall isn't the answer on this team...he's wasn't when he was here, nor in NJ

Without cap retained there is nothing the Oilers could trade for Hall. Straight up the team is better with Lucic than Hall.

Yamamoto once again one of the best looking Oilers out there ( next to Maroon).

Really? That was probably Yamamoto's second worst game as an Oiler.

Of the forward group Nuge, McDavid and Looch all had better games, as well as Maroon, all had better games than Yamamoto.

Yamamoto staying past nine games is iffy, but I'd say it's probably not happening based on this afternoon. He definitely wasn't making a case for himself to stay with the big club

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I really think this team needs to look externally for winger help. KY has been decent but the rigors of a long season will eventually wear him down.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I really think this team needs to look externally for winger help. KY has been decent but the rigors of a long season will eventually wear him down.

I don't get why they don't call up Puljujarvi. He took a shot tonight and was plus 1. :eek:

Maybe Chia is just waiting for Yamamoto's next three games before sending Yamamoto back to major junior and then he'll call up Puljujarvi?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't get why they don't call up Puljujarvi. He took a shot tonight and was plus 1. :eek:

Maybe Chia is just waiting for Yamamoto's next three games before sending Yamamoto back to major junior and then he'll call up Puljujarvi?
So far it's looking like a bit of a downgrade but he could pull a Drai?

I think that is the plan though

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

They shouldn't rush JP either. Leave him in the minors. Drai and Drake will be back soon.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
They shouldn't rush JP either. Leave him in the minors. Drai and Drake will be back soon.

Maroon/McDavid/Nuge
Lucic/Drai/Caggiula
Slepy/Malone/Strome
Jokinen/Letestu/Kassian
Pakarinen

I don't think it's worth burning a year of Yamamoto's ELC at this point.

I would go with that lineup for a while. When Puljujarvi is ready call him up as the 2RW or 3RW and drop Strome to the 13th forward.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
Really? That was probably Yamamoto's second worst game as an Oiler.

Of the forward group Nuge, McDavid and Looch all had better games, as well as Maroon, all had better games than Yamamoto.

Yamamoto staying past nine games is iffy, but I'd say it's probably not happening based on this afternoon. He definitely wasn't making a case for himself to stay with the big club

I wasn't able to watch the full game today, would you mind elaborating on this? I'm not doubting your assessment as he wasn't great in the third, but what I caught of the first he had a lot of good backchecking

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
I thought RNH had a pretty good game, but I wish sooooo much that he would elect to shoot more often, even when you've got a two on one, sometimes that's enough. Take the shot rather than trying to thread a pass through the defender.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's not easy to trade for an "impact winger". The other problem with that is they have to play with RNH-Lucic ... so that winger is going to have to carry those guys because they can't even carry themselves.

You need a high end winger. Talking like Benn, Nash, (yes) Hall ... that type of player to work on that 2nd line.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Hall could always drive a line.

RNH - Lucic - Eberle - Strome ... cannot.
What good is driving a line when the team defense is a mess.
We've seen this team without defense and it's was a disaster
It's funny all these "should have kept Hall" posters are finally speaking up after a year and a half
We got along just fine last year when we were top 10 in scoring while Hall was driving the Devils to almost last in GF
And I believe we will be be fine this year, despite the overachievers not reaching totals from previous years

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What good is driving a line when the team defense is a mess.
We've seen this team without defense and it's was a disaster
It's funny all these "should have kept Hall" posters are finally speaking up after a year and a half
We got along just fine last year when we were top 10 in scoring while Hall was driving the Devils to almost last in GF
And I believe we will be be fine this year, despite the overachievers not reaching totals from previous years

Our team D is rounding out, mainly Talbot is making big saves again.

We just do not have a second scoring line. Really did not last year either but scraped by just enough to get by.

This team will always be held back by that until it's rectified.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Our team D is rounding out, mainly Talbot is making big saves again.

We just do not have a second scoring line. Really did not last year either but scraped by just enough to get by.

This team will always be held back by that until it's rectified.
Our D isn't rounding out..we literally have ZERO offensive defenseman on the roster at the moment with Sekera out (Klef ain't getting it done at the moment)

And with Drai and Caggulia out, it's tough to judge our secondary scoring
Frankly, I was fine with the way they played today
They lost due to special teams

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Our D isn't rounding out..we literally have ZERO offensive defenseman on the roster at the moment with Sekera out (Klef ain't getting it done at the moment)

And with Drai and Caggulia out, it's tough to judge our secondary scoring
Frankly, I was fine with the way they played today
They lost due to special teams

We aren't an offensive team, aside from McDavid and Draisaitl, there's a lot of passengers.

RNH, Lucic, Strome are plain vanilla players. Our D is what it is, we don't have a stud offensive no.1 ... but I don't really even think we have the salary structure to be built like that.

The Leafs don't have an offensive dynamo on their blue line either yet they score more than double us. Because their forward group is better ... it's not even more talented ... RNH and Lucic and Eberle (last year) had as much talent as anyone in the Leafs outside of Matthews/Nylander but again they are content to play at 60% ... Kadri and JVR push themselves to play at peak ability.

Our guys minus McDavid/Drai are not willing to do that. They get their 6 million bucks go home, eat nice, and come back with the same vanilla effort next game, content with "close" or "aw schucks, had some one good chance, maybe next year". No urgency, no fire, no fight. Lucic will engage only when really egged on these days otherwise he's fine being a sleeping bear and having Maroon skate circles around him.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
We aren't an offensive team, aside from McDavid and Draisaitl, there's a lot of passengers.

RNH, Lucic, Strome are plain vanilla players. Our D is what it is, we don't have a stud offensive no.1 ... but I don't really even think we have the salary structure to be built like that.

The Leafs don't have an offensive dynamo on their blue line either yet they score more than double us. Because their forward group is better ... it's not even more talented ... RNH and Lucic and Eberle (last year) had as much talent as anyone in the Leafs outside of Matthews/Nylander but again they are content to play at 60% ... Kadri and JVR push themselves to play at peak ability.

Our guys minus McDavid/Drai are not willing to do that. They get their 6 million bucks go home, eat nice, and come back with the same vanilla effort next game, content with "close".
Nuge is as good as gone by next year, Strome gets paid like a vanilla 3rd liner and Lucic was a FA signing that brings a lot of good things to this club (toughness and leadership) despite the UFA overpayment
Every team has these players and it's not unique to the Oilers

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
and maybe they walk in 5 years because missing the playoffs that that many years isn't worth signing long term...terrible idea

and who exactly on defense do we "build around" while the Oilers continue to be a laughing stock?

Hall isn't the answer on this team...he's wasn't when he was here, nor in NJ

You funny bro.
Hall continues to track up assists while driving NJ offence

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I wasn't able to watch the full game today, would you mind elaborating on this? I'm not doubting your assessment as he wasn't great in the third, but what I caught of the first he had a lot of good backchecking

He plays big for a tiny guy.

Yamamoto wasn't quite able to keep up with the flow of play tonight.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nuge is as good as gone by next year, Strome gets paid like a vanilla 3rd liner and Lucic was a FA signing that brings a lot of good things to this club (toughness and leadership) despite the UFA overpayment
Every team has these players and it's not unique to the Oilers

We should push to move Lucic out of here too.

Lucic @1 mill retained for Trevor Lewis or whatever garbage they want to send back. We need to move on from this player if the season goes sideways. Granted I still think they will right the ship, which will save Looch's unworthy ass. Maroon should be kept, not him.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I was a critic of Eberle at times last year, but man... it’s unreal how god damn shitty this hockey team is without him. I feel like this team is never going to score another goal again.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
ithout him. I feel like this team is never going to score another goal again.

He hasn't scored in 21 straight games now and doesn't drive any offence. He was part of the problem.

However we are still stuck with no.93 and no.27 ... and they are both still a problem.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
These a
Watching games like this is bad enough. But after a WGN respite in the last one its back to Kevin Quinn/ Drew Remenda inanity.

"The Flyers have been shutout just two times this year"

I didn't fact check it but what does he mean "just" Anymore than that in 6GP and you should check a team for a pulse.

"Maroon passes to Malloon."

Good thing Fat Balloon isn't in the lineup as well. Wouldn't want two minutes for tripping over your tongue Kevin.

Remenda: "The Flyers fans are booing McDavid, whats up with that" um, these are fans that booed Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Lafleur, Esposito, and basically anybody, ever, that plays the game well. Remenda goes on and on about this as if its a thing.
When in actuality Flyers fans will catcall any opponent name they can pronounce and just call it something else when they can't.
These two are the worst tandem in the league by far

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
These a

These two are the worst tandem in the league by far

The Habs English telecast presently has to be about the worst of any. That, and the biased Bruins Broadcasts are the worst imo because they are so homeristic. Kings were dominating the Habs and the Habs broadcast was busy saying that the Kings were ineffectual and how well the Habs were playing while being outshot 2-1 and dominated. With Bruins telecasts Marchand could get a chainsaw out and they'd be questioning the penalty. Chara could throw an opponent into the third row and they'd be saying "This is hockey, let them play."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad