Post-Game Talk: Flyers 2 Canucks 1 (Quin Hughes)

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Garland scores 7 ES points in the first 7 games -> bench him and demote to bottom-6
Hoglander comes out flying to start the season and looks primed for a huge breakout -> decide he's best suited as an 'energy player' in 13 minutes on a checking line with no-talent scrubs.
Podkolzin builds nicely through the preseason -> benched immediately to start the season.
Podkolzin scores a great goal -> benched again.
Rathbone starts the season looking good as a young skill defender, then has one bad game -> benched.

Tanner Pearson sucks for almost 2 years -> absolutely welded to the top-6.
Acquire 15-point no offense scrubs like Highmore and Dickinson -> welded into the top 9 playing 15 minutes/game.

WHY ARE WE LAST IN THE IN ES SCORING CHANCES?!? I can't figure it out!

Would like this if I could. Absolutely goddamn right.

Gadjovic and MacEwan waived and lost for nothing so we can watch Chiasson on PP1 is another one.

It's honestly at the point of active sabotage. I don't understand why Green just doesn't bite the bullet and and say: "f*** this, I quit!" and bail. The Garland thing is just mind-blowing. I mean, I hated the OEL/Garland deal with a burning passion, but I'm perfectly happy to admit that Garland's been great. He's been the best player on the ice for the Canucks most of the time, easily. The most involved, the most physical, best motor, best compete level...nope. Just too good there, buddy! Pump the brakes a bit! It defies every pro sports instinct.

I'm really starting to think something is supremely f***ed up behind the scenes here. There's just too many moves that make no objective sense and too many unhappy players clearly going through the motions. And it's still only f***ing October.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Would like this if I could. Absolutely goddamn right.

Gadjovic and MacEwan waived and lost for nothing so we can watch Chiasson on PP1 is another one.

It's honestly at the point of active sabotage. I don't understand why Green just doesn't bite the bullet and and say: "f*** this, I quit!" and bail. The Garland thing is just mind-blowing. I mean, I hated the OEL/Garland deal with a burning passion, but I'm perfectly happy to admit that Garland's been great. He's been the best player on the ice for the Canucks most of the time, easily. The most involved, the most physical, best motor, best compete level...nope. Just too good there, buddy! Pump the brakes a bit! It defies every pro sports instinct.

I'm really starting to think something is supremely f***ed up behind the scenes here. There's just too many moves that make no objective sense and too many unhappy players clearly going through the motions. And it's still only f***ing October.
benningdraft.jpg

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I bet the team might gel better if we weren't hashing the lines up every 2-minutes so guys could actually form some chemistry. Right now we come out flat every game, play desperately for a period once we're down, and then tail off in the third once that doesn't work.

I can't wait for this team's ownership, management, and coaching to finally change.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He might have but Halak wasn’t the issue. They came back and tied it right away and then Halak kept it from getting out of hand when it was 2-1. He played well and the team isn’t going win if they score once.

Anyways….

The other shenanigans that MS was mentioning. A major part of this situation in my mind is they don’t have any good two-way forwards. Every player is either nearly all offense or all defense. So you have, in general, a top six that when clicking can score goals but will struggle to prevent the and a bottom six that can’t score and as a result will be underwater.

A capable two-way center and a couple of similar wingers in the lineup would go a long ways. The team is built like a computer game - scoring line 1, scoring line 2, checking line 3, checking line 4. The reason the successful teams have had success is because their players are threats at both ends of the ice (or rather they have enough of such players).

And probably more to the point the guy who can be one of those two way wingers with some development (Hoglander) can’t get that development under Green.
An additional problem is that while we have some players, who are "all offense", they are likely right up the elite-wise offensively, those "all defense" guys aren't remotely Selke candidate material. Might not be a single forward that is on the level of Higgins defensively (during his peak years as a Canuck).

Last edited:

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
An additional problem is that while we have some players, who are "all offense", they are likely right up the elite-wise offensively, those "all defense" guys aren't remotely Selke candidate material. Might not be a single forward that is on the level of Higgins defensively (during his peak years as a Canuck).
Isn't this what a good systems coach is supposed to be able to fix? You'll never get offense from some of our bottom six players, but we should have a system that emphasizes the ability to break the puck out and minimize our defensive players making the same pinch that leads to odd-man rushes a half dozen times per game.

This team has issues with its roster but I'm 100% sure that with a new coaching staff we'd see a major change for the better in 5-on-5 offense and team defense.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Bo, EP, JT, Hog, BB and most of the rotating bottom 6 are all fully capable of being very strong defensive players. It requires an actual well thought out team game plan to develop though. Defenseman come here and get shelled, highly touted 2 way players get shelled. The real problem is painfully obvious.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
EP looked like he was going to be an offensive player who could at least hustle back on defence. Now he's...I don't know lol

Still have faith he will turn it around soon

Reactions: Indiana

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Bo, EP, JT, Hog, BB and most of the rotating bottom 6 are all fully capable of being very strong defensive players. It requires an actual well thought out team game plan to develop though. Defenseman come here and get shelled, highly touted 2 way players get shelled. The real problem is painfully obvious.

That ship has sailed for Miller I think. It’s a big reason why he was moved from previous teams. There’s a reason Ranger fans called him Just Turnover Miller and why he was the expandable one for the Lightning. I don’t expect he becomes any sort of strong two way player at this point. He is what he is…a guy who can collect points but is going to make you tear your hair out.

Horvat the ship is about to sail. Remember a defensive role is something they tried to fit him in from day 1. He’s never been successful at it. His main defensive strength is face off winning.

Boeser has improved away from the puck significantly but I don’t see a lot more from him in this regard.

Pettersson I’m not sure of to be honest. I don’t see much from him in this regard.

Hogkander I agree with and he is horribly miscast. He would be better served and the team better served with him up on the top 2 lines while,being asked to be that presence.

But again it goes beyond those players. No amount of coaching is going to make about half the roster effective hockey players.

I think we need to not blame everything on system because by and large the defensive assignments don’t change when on a back check or in your own zone. You know when you are safe to pinch or when you need to cover for a d-man, None if that really changes. Neutral zone set up without possession can certainly change but at the ends of the rink it’s pretty standard across the board 5-on-5. These guys have known what that assignment is since they were kids and know what they need to do now. As kids they likely didn’t need to worry about it as they skated circles around most but they know, Maybe it’s simply a lack of accountability but I think I suspect it’s deeper than that. There is a mind set you need to have and I’m not sure they do.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
EP looked like he was going to be an offensive player who could at least hustle back on defence. Now he's...I don't know lol

Still have faith he will turn it around soon

Maybe year 1 was the albatross. Year 2 he slid downwards and year 3 he stinks. Maybe he’s not nearly as good as we thought he was.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
That ship has sailed for Miller I think. It’s a big reason why he was moved from previous teams. There’s a reason Ranger fans called him Just Turnover Miller and why he was the expandable one for the Lightning. I don’t expect he becomes any sort of strong two way player at this point. He is what he is…a guy who can collect points but is going to make you tear your hair out.

Horvat the ship is about to sail. Remember a defensive role is something they tried to fit him in from day 1. He’s never been successful at it. His main defensive strength is face off winning.

Boeser has improved away from the puck significantly but I don’t see a lot more from him in this regard.

Pettersson I’m not sure of to be honest. I don’t see much from him in this regard.

Hogkander I agree with and he is horribly miscast. He would be better served and the team better served with him up on the top 2 lines while,being asked to be that presence.

But again it goes beyond those players. No amount of coaching is going to make about half the roster effective hockey players.

I think we need to not blame everything on system because by and large the defensive assignments don’t change when on a back check or in your own zone. You know when you are safe to pinch or when you need to cover for a d-man, None if that really changes. Neutral zone set up without possession can certainly change but at the ends of the rink it’s pretty standard across the board 5-on-5. These guys have known what that assignment is since they were kids and know what they need to do now. As kids they likely didn’t need to worry about it as they skated circles around most but they know, Maybe it’s simply a lack of accountability but I think I suspect it’s deeper than that. There is a mind set you need to have and I’m not sure they do.
This mindset is developed and nurtured by a positive encouraging accountable honest transparent merit-based work culture.

This mindset is about feeling good about yourself and working with your teammates and coaches to attain professional and personal success.

f*** the Aquilinis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad