News Article: Fluto's Sunday Notes 5/3 - Chiarelli could turn attention to Julien

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yes. As noted previously, our Fluto is rather sure of himself, and not lacking in the opinion dept.

We shall see.

1) I don't think Julien gone is nearly as done as Fluto.

2) Even if Julien is let go, I don't believe he and Chia were on the same page this year. Seemed like there was some tension there and I'm not sure Clode would go to EDM or that the Oil would want to give up another compensation pick to BOS.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Julien to Edmonton would not surprise me in the least.

However, the only way I would be ok with firing Claude Julien is if Babcock were the coach replacing him in Boston. Other than Babcock, there is no one out there better than Julien overall.

I would agree with this. Julien has been a very good coach for the B's. I don't agree with everything he has done but look what the Bs had before him :amazed:...and I am scared about who would replace him.

What would happen to our other coaches ??? ...Would they stay ???

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
We should give them a draft choice to make sure they take him )
I am sure close see a wonderful kelly in McDavid

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
What I find fascinating about the Chiarelli to Edmonton thing is the seeming expectation that a goaltender upgrade is just going to drop into Edmonton's lap. If -- as Fluto says -- Bishop might become available, then yes Chia would be smart to pro-actively go after him, but if I'm Yzerman, Bishop is going to be absurdly expensive, and effectively unaccessible to a team that is only deep in offenseive talent. Scrivens is decent enough, and finding an upgrade over him is a multi-year project.

BostonPC

Bleed Black & Gold
Dec 3, 2005
Woburn, MA
Cam apparently wants Milbury to coach. :cry:

I hope that is not true. This organization is headed in the wrong direction if that is the case. At least one thing you wouldn't have to do is worry about Milbury admitting any wrong doing on his part.. Charlie could also ask him what it is like to trade Chara ;)

Ugh

BostonPC

Bleed Black & Gold
Dec 3, 2005
Woburn, MA
It's odd, because Julien is the reason we were even close to a playoff spot, yet at the same time he is the reason we missed.

Such a BAD season on every level, aside perhaps from Eriksson returning to form and the kids.

I am not hanging the lost season on Claude. He has his style but was not given the tools to work with by Peter and lost some players to injury and a bad trade. He is not perfect but I would keep him around and re-tool this team the best they can.

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
Don't see Julien as a fit for Edmonton...... have to think Babcock will give serious consideration to the spot and be the best candidate for the job......

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Time to put move on from Julien and his ultra defensive style,B's need to incorporate size speed, aggression and youth into the lineup, out with the Julien binkie types like Talbot and Kelly. The next coach needs to have more of an attacking approach then the sit back and counter-attack Julien way, looking forward to more PP's under the hopefully new coach.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
What I find fascinating about the Chiarelli to Edmonton thing is the seeming expectation that a goaltender upgrade is just going to drop into Edmonton's lap. If -- as Fluto says -- Bishop might become available, then yes Chia would be smart to pro-actively go after him, but if I'm Yzerman, Bishop is going to be absurdly expensive, and effectively unaccessible to a team that is only deep in offenseive talent. Scrivens is decent enough, and finding an upgrade over him is a multi-year project.

Yeah, Oilers need a better defensive game more than a better goaltender. They had Dubnyk and he didn't get them anywhere.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I hope that is not true. This organization is headed in the wrong direction if that is the case. At least one thing you wouldn't have to do is worry about Milbury admitting any wrong doing on his part.. Charlie could also ask him what it is like to trade Chara ;)

Ugh

Agreed.

If true then we can clearly rule out Babcock, whose teams have been Euro-driven non-fighting puck possession types.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
1) I don't think Julien gone is nearly as done as Fluto.

2) Even if Julien is let go, I don't believe he and Chia were on the same page this year. Seemed like there was some tension there and I'm not sure Clode would go to EDM or that the Oil would want to give up another compensation pick to BOS.

Et tu Claude? Was the only thing missing on Chiarellis impromptu press conference in Tampa the off day before the last game.

Chia sounded hurt and reported was not happy with his coach he always backed. First sign of rough weather Claude ready to tell Chia go find another life boat

OrrCam

Aug 9, 2008
Julien made some collossal mistakes this year,probably cost them a playoff spot.

That's totall true. Chia and the Oil can have him. Maybe Chia can sign UFA Gregory Campbell just to keep him happy.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
It has been the buzz around TD Garden since late February when Cam wanted to fire Claude and Chia refused.

If this is even remotely true then Charlie Jacobs and Neely are going to flush the franchise back down the toilet.

Three Dog

Apr 12, 2015
Hypothetically: If during the off season, the new GM makes a few minor tweaks to roster, and the core is still in tact (which I expect will be the case)....... and if Julien is still at the helm, and them gains the 3 or 4 points that they were short this year (which deamed it such a "terrible" year)....... team makes the playoffs, and achieves at the very least, a 2nd round appearance...... are we still all crying for Julien to be fired?

Probably a dumb question really, because unless Julien wins us a cup every season, he is not good enough.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Watch this idiot turn the next Gretzky into the next Bob Gainey.

Highly doubt that. Somethings he has done here are flagrant stubbornness and no vision. He has learned something from the Spooner experience. Even if Spooner benefited from his demotion.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Has to be kind of a weird time for Julien

Getting paid either way but sitting in limbo not having a clue where, if anywhere, he`ll be coaching next season

Breezer12

Jan 4, 2015
That would certainly be interesting to see. I like Julien and I wish him nothing but the best. After we get the new GM, it will be fun to see who coaches this hockey club. My personal top 3 in order:

1. Babcock
2. McLellan
3. Julien

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
What Happened, & What Next?

That would certainly be interesting to see. I like Julien and I wish him nothing but the best. After we get the new GM, it will be fun to see who coaches this hockey club. My personal top 3 in order:

1. Babcock
2. McLellan
3. Julien

I still want Julien. TM is intriguing. Babcock is not coming to Boston. He wants too much power, and it makes little sense for Cam to hand it to him after finally wresting the con from Chiarelli. Cam is my all time favorite player, but if he wanted to fire Julien mid season for managerial/roster mistakes obviously not of his making, what does that say about Neely's judgement? And then to fire Chiarelli in a clear power grab after PC turned a bad joke no one wanted to play for into a perennial powerhouse. What does that say?

I'm not asking rhetorical questions here, because I honestly don't know the answers. Very few of us on the board has inside knowledge of the dynamics of these relationships, the personal history behind them, or indeed what actually happened between the principals involved.

Whatever the case, Cam & Charlie damn well better plot their course thoughtfully on a number of fronts: GM, head coach, overall vision of team DNA, drafting, trades, et. al.

It will be the most consequential off season around here since Chiarelli's arrival, and the beginning of a new era. Let's hope whatever the initial decisions are made going forward, they are wise ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad