The Athletic - Boston Fluto's readers poll - Should the Bruins rebuild immediately? The Athletic’s fan survey shows a divided fanbase

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The only time the Bruins have won the Cup since Jacobs took over is when Charlie convinced his father that Harry and his entourage had to go and OUTSIDER Peter Chiarelli got the keys.

Chiarelli did win a Cup as GM in 2011 and he went all-in with the 2014 team that stumbled against Montreal and was fired a year later.

You have to wonder how Chiarelli would have handled the 2015 draft
^^^THIS!^^^ Sweeney gets chance after chance at trying to keep the team afloat, but Chiarelli was fired right away. Sweeney has done a lot of half measures and made a bunch of mistakes and miscalculations that actually surprise me. Being that he's been in the NHL (almost) his whole adult life I expected that his experience would've guided him. Instead, he seems to be flailing at answers and IMO guessing at what will work. I don't understand his seeming lack of intelligence at what works and doesn't work. He's got a ton of history to learn from along with his own experience yet he still seems to make odd personnel decisions as though he's thumbing his nose at everyone else. Then we get the obscure explanation when he's put on the spot.
IMO, Chiarelli ran into trouble with a couple of iffy moves and he was fired pretty quickly. I don't know if Chia would've traded Looch, and Hamilton (etc for those picks) but I do wonder what he would've done that summer if he were still around and given a chance to make those decisions.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
If Bruins end up with 0 cups during McAvoy+Swayman era it will extreme pain never felt before.

The bluechips are there. Just start (re)building.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You mean a team with McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH passed on another center?

Crazy.

The trade was bad but passing on Barzal doesn't mean what you think it means.

I simply think it means Chiarelli (and his staff) really wanted Griffin Reinhart and felt he could not only step in right away but be a big part of their group moving forward. It wasn't like they were itching to rid themselves of that #16 pick because they didn't like the players left to be chosen.

I think it's pretty sad actually that Garth Snow was able to get a mid-round 1st and an early 2nd (would almost be a 1st today at #33) for Reinhart who had proven zilch at the NHL level at that point, yet all Sweeney could get for an established age-comparable but more proven Hamilton was a mid-round 1st and two mid-round 2nds.

Seriously what could Sweeney had gotten from Edmonton if he had the guts to make a deal with his former boss?

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Bergeron and Krejci 29.

In terms of actual need at the time, quite comparable.

Bergeron was 30 a month after that draft. But 1 year doesn't make a difference.

Having your top centers 20 or younger vs having them 30 or over is not comparable when it comes to need. Historically you could maybe expect another 2-3 years of high level play before they fall off a cliff. Bergeron and Krejci luckily were the exclusion to that rule but at the time of the draft a center prospect was more of a need for the Bruins than a team like the Oilers.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
^^^THIS!^^^ Sweeney gets chance after chance at trying to keep the team afloat, but Chiarelli was fired right away. Sweeney has done a lot of half measures and made a bunch of mistakes and miscalculations that actually surprise me. Being that he's been in the NHL (almost) his whole adult life I expected that his experience would've guided him. Instead, he seems to be flailing at answers and IMO guessing at what will work. I don't understand his seeming lack of intelligence at what works and doesn't work. He's got a ton of history to learn from along with his own experience yet he still seems to make odd personnel decisions as though he's thumbing his nose at everyone else. Then we get the obscure explanation when he's put on the spot.
IMO, Chiarelli ran into trouble with a couple of iffy moves and he was fired pretty quickly. I don't know if Chia would've traded Looch, and Hamilton (etc for those picks) but I do wonder what he would've done that summer if he were still around and given a chance to make those decisions.

Chiarelli's team went to the finals in 2013, lost to the Canadiens in the 2nd round in 2014, missed the playoffs in 2015. That's a hard spiral downward over 3 seasons.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
If Bruins end up with 0 cups during McAvoy+Swayman era it will extreme pain never felt before.

The bluechips are there. Just start (re)building.
I think you are being overly dramatic. We've had better teams with better players not win a cup in Boston.

#8 & #77 come to mind.......

As for the survey....I actually participated in that survey and the final results pretty much exactly reflected my input, for what its worth.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Bergeron was 30 a month after that draft. But 1 year doesn't make a difference.

Having your top centers 20 or younger vs having them 30 or over is not comparable when it comes to need. Historically you could maybe expect another 2-3 years of high level play before they fall off a cliff. Bergeron and Krejci luckily were the exclusion to that rule but at the time of the draft a center prospect was more of a need for the Bruins than a team like the Oilers.

At the time of the 2015 daft Draisaitl had played 37 games for the Oilers. Had scored two goals and it wasn't even a sure thing that he would end up being a center. And though McDavid appeared to be a sure thing, top picks past didn't always pan out (see Nik Yakupov, top pick in 2012) for the Oilers.

I think you are being overly dramatic. We've had better teams with better players not win a cup in Boston.

As for the survey....I actually participated in that survey and the final results pretty much exactly reflected my input, for what its worth.

As have many other teams.

Reactions: Ladyfan

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Chiarelli's team went to the finals in 2013, lost to the Canadiens in the 2nd round in 2014, missed the playoffs in 2015. That's a hard spiral downward over 3 seasons.

While the 2015 team was nothing special, if were being honest had Chiarelli gotten even a half-decent NHL back-up that year they make the dance at the very least. They missed by 2 pts to Pittsburgh.

They rolled the dice with Svedberg due to cap constraints and Julien lost all confidence in him by the end, he barely played down the stretch drive. Meanwhile Rask appeared in 70 games which we all know by now was too many for him. Svedberg never played a single NHL game after that season.

Reactions: Flannelman and BMC

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
At the time of the 2015 daft Draisaitl had played 37 games for the Oilers. Had scored two goals and it wasn't even a sure thing that he would end up being a center. And though McDavid appeared to be a sure thing, top picks past didn't always pan out (see Nik Yakupov, top pick in 2012) for the Oilers.

Its not realistic at all to think the Oilers would want another center taken in the middle of the first to hedge their bets on a 1st and 3rd overall. Thats not how a franchise would operate.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Fan polls are like man on the street interviews - clear indications that a reporter has given up
That may be true, but some of those results. Ouch.

The fact that Fluto may or may not have given up shouldn't make Sweeney, Neely, or even Jacobs sleep any better. In the UK those numbers would be considered a very firm Vote of No Confidence.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Right, and we had several seasons of Brad Park with Ray Bourque on defense. Some great Bruins teams, tough and talented but for many of those years we ran into loaded Habs teams and then the juggernaut Isle's teams too. It's sad that there are very limited videos of the era because of channel 38s lack of vision and miserly policies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I know it's not scientific because it's an invite to a poll. By definition the only people who are going to take the time to answer such a poll are probably pretty rabid in their fandom and also possessing a pretty strong opinion. They are also paid subscribers to a news outlet -- which in this day and age is a pretty invested sports fan.

Regardless -- it's still telling. And just shy of 2,500 people filling out poll is pretty strong turnout.

So, imagine a Monty Python Holy Grail scene with Cam and Donny riding boldly into a valley atop their coconut horses surrounded by 215 or so strong burly gentry -- must feel good.

Until they stumble upon 2,285 or so very angry peat bog farmers who are intent on throwing the fancy dressed elite into the smelly water and spitting on them. Not quite so good a feeling all of a sudden. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
While the 2015 team was nothing special, if were being honest had Chiarelli gotten even a half-decent NHL back-up that year they make the dance at the very least. They missed by 2 pts to Pittsburgh.

They rolled the dice with Svedberg due to cap constraints and Julien lost all confidence in him by the end, he barely played down the stretch drive. Meanwhile Rask appeared in 70 games which we all know by now was too many for him. Svedberg never played a single NHL game after that season.

Maybe that's why he was fired.

Reactions: BruinDust

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Cam disliked Chia and almost fired him after 2010 along with Julien. They certainly would have gone after 2011.....except

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
That may be true, but some of those results. Ouch.

The fact that Fluto may or may not have given up shouldn't make Sweeney, Neely, or even Jacobs sleep any better. In the UK those numbers would be considered a very firm Vote of No Confidence.

I know it's not scientific because it's an invite to a poll. By definition the only people who are going to take the time to answer such a poll are probably pretty rabid in their fandom and also possessing a pretty strong opinion. They are also paid subscribers to a news outlet -- which in this day and age is a pretty invested sports fan.

Regardless -- it's still telling. And just shy of 2,500 people filling out poll is pretty strong turnout.

So, imagine a Monty Python Holy Grail scene with Cam and Donny riding boldly into a valley atop their coconut horses surrounded by 215 or so strong burly gentry -- must feel good.

Until they stumble upon 2,285 or so very angry peat bog farmers who are intent on throwing the fancy dressed elite into the smelly water and spitting on them. Not quite so good a feeling all of a sudden. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Two very good posts. And I love your signature. Well done!!! :thumbu:

Reactions: Gordoff and Number8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad