The Athletic - Boston Fluto's readers poll - Should the Bruins rebuild immediately? The Athletic’s fan survey shows a divided fanbase

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Looks like most of Fluto's readers are HF Bruins members :biglaugh:

A transition period is a good time to solicit opinions, as evidenced by the nearly 2,500 subscribers who completed The Athletic’s offseason Bruins survey.

What did you have to say about what has already been a busy offseason? Some of the results were more one-sided than others.

Should Cassidy have been fired?​

Yes17.4%
No82.6%

Did Cassidy do his job well?​

Yes95.8%
No4.2%

Of the following potential candidates, who would you prefer to see as the next Bruins coach?​

Jay Leach49.7%
Barry Trotz25.3%
David Quinn15.1%
John Tortorella6.5%
Mike Babcock3.5%

Are Neely and Sweeney the right executives to lead the Bruins?​

Yes8.6%
No91.4%

Is the organization headed in the right direction?​

Yes7.8%
No92.2%

Could the Bruins have won the Stanley Cup in 2021-22?​

Yes20.2%
No79.8%

Will the Bruins win the Cup in 2022-23?​

Yes1.9%
No98.1%

Will the Bruins make the playoffs in 2022-23?​

Yes48.0%
No52.0%

Should the Bruins rebuild immediately?​

Yes52.3%
No47.7%

Will Bergeron return?​

Yes41.9%
No58.1%

Will Krejci return?​

Yes17.0%
No83.0%

Will Pastrnak re-sign?​

Yes65.2%
No34.8%

Should the Bruins trade DeBrusk?​

Yes51.3%
No48.7%

If the Bruins trade a defenseman this offseason, who would you prefer they move?​

Will Frederic and Studnicka be top-nine NHL forwards next year?​

Yes30.5%
No69.5%

Do the Bruins have enough good prospects?​

Yes5.3%
No94.7%

Have the Bruins drafted well?​

Yes5.1%
No94.9%

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Jay Leach may ultimately prove to be a great coach but I think he’s really benefiting from the fact we don’t know much about him. It’s like there isn’t enough info there to pick apart. Trotz has won everywhere but his style is well known so we nitpick him to the point where most voters would rather an unknown than a proven commodity.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Excellent poll results.

Hey, Neely and Sweeney: Are ya listenin? Neither of you is fit to run this franchise. Everybody knows it. You know it. This franchise is bigger than you. You've had your chance. You tried, but you've not done it. Please resign from your positions, new blood is needed. Do it for us fans.

The only time the Bruins have won the Cup since Jacobs took over is when Charlie convinced his father that Harry and his entourage had to go and OUTSIDER Peter Chiarelli got the keys.

Chiarelli did win a Cup as GM in 2011 and he went all-in with the 2014 team that stumbled against Montreal and was fired a year later.

You have to wonder how Chiarelli would have handled the 2015 draft

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Chiarelli did win a Cup as GM in 2011 and he went all-in with the 2014 team that stumbled against Montreal and was fired a year later.

We’ll we know he would have traded a few of those picks for Griffin Reinhart and we know what his scouts thought of those first round forwards …

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
We’ll we know he would have traded a few of those picks for Griffin Reinhart and we know what his scouts thought of those first round forwards …

I feel for Chiarelli. As much as we complain about the amateur and pro scouting of the Bruins, they seem light years ahead of the Edmonton Oilers scouting staff. What an absolutely dismal history of drafting and development for that franchise.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The only time the Bruins have won the Cup since Jacobs took over is when Charlie convinced his father that Harry and his entourage had to go and OUTSIDER Peter Chiarelli got the keys.

More than likely he only has one first round pick.

Not that that's a bad thing.

Reactions: Banded Peak

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I feel for Chiarelli. As much as we complain about the amateur and pro scouting of the Bruins, they seem light years ahead of the Edmonton Oilers scouting staff. What an absolutely dismal history of drafting and development for that franchise.

Oilers certainly have a history of bad drafting.

1990, 12 picks. Not a one ever played an NHL game.

• Wow
Reactions: BMC and BruinDust

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I mean, the team needs a fairly major retool for sure. At this point we need 1 maybe 2 Top 6 centers, 1-2 Top 4 D and another Top 6 wing.

There's good pieces in house to build around at least in McAvoy, Swayman, Pastrnak

The big issue is Sweeney is the LAST person in hockey I'd trust to do it. If this rebuild/retool is Sweeney led we are royally f*cked and better learn to like rooting for ping pong balls instead of Cups

Reactions: Forester65

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021

Do we, though? He was here for that entire calendar year leading up the draft, which means it was his scouts in place already doing the work and building that list.

The new GM comes in two months before the draft and makes picks based on their recommendations. With Chiarelli, I think you’re ending up with either A. the same-ish players or B. those picks traded as he did in Edmonton.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Do we, though? He was here for that entire calendar year leading up the draft, which means it was his scouts in place already doing the work and building that list.

The new GM comes in two months before the draft and makes picks based on their recommendations. With Chiarelli, I think you’re ending up with either A. the same-ish players or B. those picks traded as he did in Edmonton.

Yeah, but Chiarelli at least never passed on a talented player falling in his lap in round 1.

Hamilton fell to him at 9, and he didnt hesitate. Pastrnak fell to him at 24, he didn't hesitate. How many picks he'd have is up for debate, but if he had #13 and Barzal fell to him, Barzal would be a Bruin today.

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
Those results are hilarious. I can’t think of anything that 90% of people agree on anymore.

I happen to think Sweeney is an arrogant, ineffective puppet of a GM, but I had no idea he was this broadly disliked.

Mike O’Connell may have had more supporters, and he was probably worse.

Reactions: Gordoff

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Yeah, but Chiarelli at least never passed on a talented player falling in his lap in round 1.

Hamilton fell to him at 9, and he didnt hesitate. Pastrnak fell to him at 24, he didn't hesitate. How many picks he'd have is up for debate, but if he had #13 and Barzal fell to him, Barzal would be a Bruin today.
In the face of taking Barzal at 16, he traded the pick and a 2nd rounder to the Islanders.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

Yeah like just Zach Hamill, Joe Colborne ,Malcolm Subban and Jordan Caron
No hesitation!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Depends on how you judge 2007. Of the six guys picked right after Hamill, 5 of them will likely play over 1000 NHL games each. Couture in particular was an early favorite to be picked No.1 going into the year but dropped a bit, not unlike Barzal did.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't know what some of these questions mean

"

Should the Bruins rebuild immediately?"​

What does this ultimately mean. Should they try for an immediate rebuild, which means to do what they can to try an improve next seasons chances.

or

Should they give up and try for the long term rebuild? Meaning in my opinion dedicating themselves to going young. Trade/walk away from some of the win now players the organization has, and try to bottom out.

Also apparently Fluto fans hate management. I guess people ended up at Athletics Bruins because they thinkg Fluto is good, and I assume this has been the Fluto line.

But not sure which is more surprising to me. The absolute hatred of Sweeney/Neely, or the absolute adoration of Cassidy.

I can kind of see the hatred for Sweeney/Neely; although , I consider it over the top.

I really don't see the adoration for Cassidy. He was ok, but he blew the cup in 2019 . He played the goalie who couldn't move in 2021. And this year I think was a better year in some ways, and not sure he could do much with how broken the team was in the end, But still he has failed in aspects of his job

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

You're taking a beating on this one.

I don't know what some of these questions mean
orShould they give up and try for the long term rebuild? Meaning in my opinion dedicating themselves to going young. Trade/walk away from some of the win now players the organization has, and try to bottom out.
Also apparently Fluto fans hate management. I guess people ended up at Athletics Bruins because they thinkg Fluto is good, and I assume this has been the Fluto line.
But not sure which is more surprising to me. The absolute hatred of Sweeney/Neely, or the absolute adoration of Cassidy.
I can kind of see the hatred for Sweeney/Neely; although , I consider it over the top.
I really don't see the adoration for Cassidy. He was ok, but he blew the cup in 2019 . He played the goalie who couldn't move in 2021. And this year I think was a better year in some ways, and not sure he could do much with how broken the team was in the end, But still he has failed in aspects of his job

How did he blow the Cup in 2019?

He had zero playing time in Game 7.

• Haha
Reactions: Forester65

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad