The Athletic - Boston Fluto: With Jaroslav Halak, John Moore signings, Bruins improve despite missing out on Tavares

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sweeney struck out with Plan A and Plan B - is there a Plan C?

Shinzawa: With Jaroslav Halak, John Moore signings, Bruins...

The Bruins improved on Sunday.

Jaroslav Halak, signed to a two-year, $5.5 million contract, should be a better backup than Anton Khudobin. In fact, Halak will be Tuukka Rask’s most significant threat for playing time since Tim Thomas exited in 2012. Halak is more experienced than Khudobin, Jonas Gustavsson, Niklas Svedberg, and Chad Johnson, previous backups who posed little danger of swiping any of Rask’s starts.

John Moore, signed to a five-year, $13.75 million deal, is a 6-foot-2, 210-pound left-shot defenseman. The 27-year-old will be a sturdier left-side presence than Torey Krug and Matt Grzelcyk when brawnier forwards come knocking.

Depth signings Chris Wagner (two years, $2.5 million) and Joakim Nordstrom (two years, $2 million) should be adequate replacements for, if not improvements upon, Riley Nash and Tim Schaller, especially on the penalty kill.

No moves, however, are made in isolation.

The Bruins, like their other Atlantic Division rivals, will have to operate differently in 2018-19 because of the thunderclaps the Maple Leafs initiated. Toronto gladly invested seven years and $77 million in John Tavares to form a deadly 1-2 combination between the ex-Islander and Auston Matthews.

The pain is compounded for the Bruins, whose pitch for Tavares fell short just as Toronto’s bid hit the mark.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
One of Bergeron's hat tricks last season was given up by Halak. :popcorn: :laugh:

And I wouldn't say the Bruins pitch fell short while Toronto's hit the mark. If he had been born in Boston, he'd probably be a Bruin. The teams had zero influence on where the guy was born.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
OMG

Lebron a Laker

Price bombed in the Bronx

Khudobin in Big D

This is horrible

Reactions: BigBadBruin

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Where is the article on Sweeney and Co under performing. That appears to be the case this off-season and going back a bit as well.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Can someone show Fluto a quiet room somewhere?
Yeah he’s bananas here. He’s just gonna say they improved in isolation without considering the term of the deal to Moore, for example, and the ramifications throughout the roster? “He’s sturdier when bigger forwards come knocking”...are they gonna pull him out of the press box mid-shift to sub in for Krug when a bigger forward is rushing?

The Moore signing clearly has implications. It’s a 5 year deal when Chara, Krug and Gryz are here, having spent a ton of draft picks on LD in the top rounds for years now. It’s a true head scratcher of a signing...is nobody going to call that out?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
One of Bergeron's hat tricks last season was given up by Halak. :popcorn: :laugh:

And I wouldn't say the Bruins pitch fell short while Toronto's hit the mark. If he had been born in Boston, he'd probably be a Bruin. The teams had zero influence on where the guy was born.

Jimmy Vesey thinks differently.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Not an improvement yet. We need to replace Riley Nash first, but overall a solid day considering the Tavares let down.

Have they decided if Tavares is going to play LD or RD lol.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto 2019 defense

Riley- Zaitsev
Dermott-Liljegren
????-????

Train wreck

Reactions: Tmac37

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I really like the Halak signing. He's better than his numbers from a year ago and who wouldn't of been, playing in front of the injury riddled Islander defense all year. Wagner will be a big time fan favorite as soon as he hits the ice. He's a great open ice hitter and doesn't shy away from anyone.

Sweeney didn't throw money around, maybe being a little cautious or gun-shy but hopefully he has another card to play on the trade front.

The Moore signing was interesting and it leads me to think something is on the horizon but maybe not. After all he was able to sign a 27 yr old defenseman in his prime who's greatest asset is his skating to a favorable contract for the next 5 yrs. He certainly isn't that top 4 guy they've been coveting but more of a 5/6 guy who will fight for playing time when the bruins are healthy.But given the price and the term he cost he can fill that same role for a while and give the Bruins some solid depth. So not a bad signing at all.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Yeah he’s bananas here. He’s just gonna say they improved in isolation without considering the term of the deal to Moore, for example, and the ramifications throughout the roster? “He’s sturdier when bigger forwards come knocking”...are they gonna pull him out of the press box mid-shift to sub in for Krug when a bigger forward is rushing?

The Moore signing clearly has implications. It’s a 5 year deal when Chara, Krug and Gryz are here, having spent a ton of draft picks on LD in the top rounds for years now. It’s a true head scratcher of a signing...is nobody going to call that out?

It’s only a head scratcher if we don’t make any more moves. I’ll give you even money that Krug gets moved before the summer ends.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The Bruins still have a very good lineup. I think they're going to leave a spot open at line center for two of: Kuraly, JFK, Frederic, Accari, Donato, Wagner etc.

The defense is a puzzle though but maybe they want to keep 2 guys in the press box.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I’ll take Pastrnak and Marchand locker up through their prime over Tavares whose value may be suspect during years 5, 6 and 7 of that deal.

Would have been nice to have added, but there really wasn’t much out there aside from the one big fish. Glad they didn’t hit the panic button and overlay an aged winger.

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
I’ll take Pastrnak and Marchand locker up through their prime over Tavares whose value may be suspect during years 5, 6 and 7 of that deal.

Would have been nice to have added, but there really wasn’t much out there aside from the one big fish. Glad they didn’t hit the panic button and overlay an aged winger.

I'd rather have all 3, but unfortunately the time we got a seat at the table was the one time one of these local Toronto kids actually DID want to play where he grew up.

If we're going to use the cap rising to justify giving term to JAGs (and David Backes soon to be JAGs) then we should do it with Tavares as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad