The Athletic - Boston Fluto: An improving Atlantic Division: Bruins will have tougher competition

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
At least Cassidy is focused on the hangover - the challenge will be how to deal with it

An improving Atlantic Division: Bruins will have tougher...

While the Bruins rest their battered bones, the Atlantic Division is improving. This trend may continue on July 1, when the Panthers are expected to open their wallets for Artemi Panarin and Sergei Bobrovsky.

This is not good news for the Bruins, one of three Atlantic clubs to qualify for the playoffs this past season. The dogfight for postseason qualification could be even fiercer next year.

“Toronto and Tampa, to me, are still excellent teams. I’d put us in that category,” Cassidy said. “So it is tough. You’re not going to get there by accident. You’re going to have to earn your way on our side. It wouldn’t surprise me next year if there were five (teams) from our side.”

Most of Cassidy’s players have already scattered to their summer retreats. Before they made their getaways, the chain-pullers consulted with Cassidy to discuss the slope they’ll face this fall. It could get slippery.

The Bruins’ rivals see Black and Gold in their crosshairs. Meanwhile, the Bruins’ summer programs have been disrupted and deferred because of their Stanley Cup run. Cassidy believes in the hangover, especially for those who complete the journey without lifting the Cup above their heads. It is not easy for such players to jack up the competitive juices in quieter rinks in October and November. The challenge begins right when the light turns green with a four-game road trip to Dallas, Arizona, Vegas and Colorado.

“We have to get their attention quicker for two reasons,” Cassidy said. “When you come off a season like ours, I think there’s a tendency to be not as focused coming out of it, because guys have lost part of their summer to train, so you’re maybe not up to speed. And you’re not that excited to go into a building in November when there’s maybe not that much on the line.”

Cassidy plans to take advantage of Jaroslav Halak. The No. 2 goalie watched Tuukka Rask accumulate 1,458:50 of playing time in the postseason. Halak will have many more matches to burn than Rask. Also, Rask has a history of hiccups early in the regular season. The Bruins cannot afford to ride a goalie whose dependability will be in question.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Tougher division or not, if the Bruins stay healthy they can win it. Last year's injuries were just brutal.

Reactions: bbfan419

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
This is one reason why not winning the Stanley Cup this year was such a disappointment. The teams in the Atlantic are getting stronger, and Boston won't have such an easy path to the finals again. Aside from Tampa and Toronto, which will continue to be formidable, Florida, which is expected to get Bobrovsky and Panarin, will be better, as will Montreal. Boston's ageing core will be even older come October, and I think that its last, best chance for a Cup was against St. Louis.

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
This is on reason why not winning the Stanley Cup this year was such a disappointment. The teams in the Atlantic are getting stronger, and Boston won't have such an easy path to the finals again. Aside from Tampa and Toronto, which will continue to be formidable, Florida, which is expected to get Bobrovsky and Panarin, will be better, as will Montreal. Boston's ageing core will be even older come October, and I think that its last, best chance for a Cup was against St. Louis.

This was definitely the Cup that got away. They had an absolutely clear path once TB & Washington were bounced in the first round. They won't get another opportunity like this one. :(

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Bruins will have tougher competition? Maybe. Maybe not.

If the past couple seasons have shown us anything, is looking at rosters in July/Aig/Sept and predicting success is a crap-shoot. This division could be really tough, or it could be a cake-walk, or something in-between.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
This was definitely the Cup that got away. They had an absolutely clear path once TB & Washington were bounced in the first round. They won't get another opportunity like this one. :(

I have a lot of free time this summer, may I borrow your crystal ball? Trying to find out exactly how many ears of corn I’m going to yield - I have 34 plants right now so 68 if I’m really lucky!

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Tampa- 10 mil under the cap and only 8 forwards signed and one of them that needs to be signed is named Brayden Point

Toronto- 13 mil in space. 9 forwards and 4 defensemen signed. Need to sign marner, Johnsson and Kapanen...plus TWO NHL caliber defensemen

Florida- Wants to sign BOB and Panarin. They are 20 mil under, but only 8 forwards and 5 defensemen. They also have TWO goalies already under contract for a combined 8 million.

How exactly is it going to get tougher?

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This gets said every single year. Last summer Buffalo was the hot new team that was going to make noise in the division.
exactly and so much can transpire as the season wears along.

Like most, it`s expected Florida will make a big splash but I`m not one who thinks that automatically places them in the contender category, they`ll likely have loads of new faces in their lineup, doesn`t necessarily translate into a winner, they will likely need time to gel

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Meh. Stay relatively healthy. Make the playoffs. Ride a hot goalie.

They’re good enough. Not to say there isn’t room to improve, but they are good enough

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
Everyone talks about Florida suddenly being a great team of they sign those 2 big UFAs. Can anyone remember any team in the past that suddenly became a top team after signing 2 big UFAs? Usually those teams end up disappointing as far as I can remember.

I guess Boston in 2008-09 but that was 3 seasons after signing Chara and Savard. The year after signing them they were terrible.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Honestly think Toronto can regress if they either lose Marner (unlikely) or sign him to a massive deal (likely). Their D is still a tire fire and their offensive depth may be dwindled depending on what happens with Kapanen and Johnsson.

Or I'm just very optimistic.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Everyone talks about Florida suddenly being a great team of they sign those 2 big UFAs. Can anyone remember any team in the past that suddenly became a top team after signing 2 big UFAs? Usually those teams end up disappointing as far as I can remember.

I guess Boston in 2008-09 but that was 3 seasons after signing Chara and Savard. The year after signing them they were terrible.

Remember the countless years of mediocrity in Minnesota following Parise and Suter's contract signings? That's looking like a day that killed the team more than helped it. I hope the same happens to Sunrise City.

Reactions: BMC and Wiggleboom

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
Remember the countless years of mediocrity in Minnesota following Parise and Suter's contract signings? That's looking like a day that killed the team more than helped it. I hope the same happens to Sunrise City.
Great example. Made them a perennial 1st round exit. That’s kind of what I expect from Florida if they sign those 2.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

Adding Panarin and Bob to a roster that already has Barkov, Hoffmann, Trochek, Dadanov, Huberdeau, Ekblad, Yandle and Vatrano will make a difference. On top of that, Quenneville is now coach. I'd expect the Panthers to be notably improved.

Honestly think Toronto can regress if they either lose Marner (unlikely) or sign him to a massive deal (likely). Their D is still a tire fire and their offensive depth may be dwindled depending on what happens with Kapanen and Johnsson.

Or I'm just very optimistic.

I think that you're being optimistic. It sounds as if deals are soon to be signed with Kapanen and Johnsson. Even if signing Marner makes a dent in Toronto's cap, it could always unload Kadri or Nylander for help on defense.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Get 100-105 points get in and see what happens

Presidents Trophy
Conference champ
Division champ
16th seed

Nothing really matters .....

Once you are in the NHL version of a Fun House it’s all just cats and dogs living together

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This is one reason why not winning the Stanley Cup this year was such a disappointment. The teams in the Atlantic are getting stronger, and Boston won't have such an easy path to the finals again. Aside from Tampa and Toronto, which will continue to be formidable, Florida, which is expected to get Bobrovsky and Panarin, will be better, as will Montreal. Boston's ageing core will be even older come October, and I think that its last, best chance for a Cup was against St. Louis.
The amazingly easy path is way over blown as if they the Bruins spent 6 weeks singing

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay
My, oh, my, what a wonderful day
Plenty of sunshine headin' my way
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay

Carolina wasn’t exactly tooth and nail but Toronto & Columbus were both good enough to beat anyone

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Good thing that Florida gets better. Increase the chances for the Habs to miss the playoffs for a 3rd consecutive season and 4th in 5.

As for the Bruins, they will be the favorite to win the division next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad