Florida's goalies

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Lou was pretty good in their 1st game. Sad to see him get injured yet again. The guy is still a top-10 goalie - when healthy.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Stay pat till after their 2 games in Finland.

1-6 now. Could be 1-10 by. That's catch-up rate they'd have to play for the balance of the season would be borderline insurmountable. Lu has to return for the Finland doubleheader. Frankly, a hobbled Lu is better than either of these clowns.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Lou was supposed to be out 2-4 weeks right? Have their been any updates? I admittedly haven't followed too closely.

Just reading this thread and looking at the numbers I don't know if they can wait it out.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Oh Remier. The dude still looks stiff in the net as ever and still looks lost every time a shot beats him high glove.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
Saterri refused to sign because he wanted to play more than 10 games. Besides, he is not the answer in any reality.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Trade Jimmy Howard in the last year of contract for James Reimer + two picks (or prospects). One pick for the upgrade in player quality and one for Detroit taking on Reimer's contract.

Reunite the Bernier Reimer duo in Detroit.
You must really not like Wings fans.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Samuel Montembeault
I mean you know I won't argue that and want him in yesterday.
Dude, Im about to have a real nice pissy rant and go off on about 95% of the people talking about this subject. Including the guys on xm ch. 91...here's a very tame preview...goalies are human beings and superpowers like xray vision aren't real....

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
After being asked by more than one poster on the Devils forum to review all the goals against around the league every night, and what goals were stoppable and what goals weren't, I have been reviewing all of them for every game on every night.

The results for the Panthers are not pretty. I found that out of the four goals that Hutchinson allowed last night, THREE were stoppable. That's almost all of them. Granted, Georgiev also allowed one stoppable goal on that wraparound. Goals 1, 3 and 4 were all stoppable on Hutchinson last night. One goal went off a teammates leg in front and also looks stoppable, until you see the replay. That's the only goal he had no chance on last night. And going off recent memory, when he played Detroit the other night, 2 of the 4 goals were stoppable, but all 3 goals Jimmy Howard allowed in that game were BRUTAL, so Hutchinson probably looked not as bad that night, at least on the eye test.

Reimer has been trash too. I'm pretty sure I counted 3 stoppable goals (out of 5 against) when he played Columbus earlier in the month and at least one bad goal against Vancouver and Washington. I'd have to go back and look at my post on the night those games were reviewed.

I will say in Hutchinson's defense, he was lit up for 5 against Philadelphia and I'm pretty sure he had no chance on any of those goals, but over a third of the goals he's allowing are bad and that percentage is around the same for Reimer.

About 40% of the goals that have been scored on Florida goalies this year have been stoppable. I'm remember finding years ago, an average goalie probably allows a stoppable goal on about 25%-ish percent of the goals allowed.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And Reimer is also a goalie that ALWAYS failed the eye test for me, even when his play on paper is good. Lets in too many weak goals, that leak through him as he's going down in the butterfly. His butterfly isn't sealed enough, causing a lot of pucks to leak through the arms and legs. He lets in a lot of really laughable goals.

I've never been a believer in this goalie. They might even beg Luongo to play 2-3 more years (assuming he doesn't completely break down before that) so they don't have to be forced to upgrade on Reimer. Reimer won't hurt you much as a backup, but he's a pathetic heir to Luongo.

Sadly enough, for as unsuccessful as Florida has been as a franchise, they've had 3 pretty damn good franchise level goalies there in their 25 years. Vanbiesbrouck, Vokoun and Luongo.

Reactions: klabob

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lehtonen or Mason should be picked up. They hardly can be worse than what Florida has now and are probably able to be signed 1yr/1M
I honestly don't think either of these guys are better than Reimer. Mason might have one more wind left in him, as he played really well when going to Philadelphia after being shipped out of Columbus. He fell apart in his last year there. He wasn't good last year for Winnipeg, but he only played 13 games.

Lehtonen is finished and has been for 5 years.
Trade Jimmy Howard in the last year of contract for James Reimer + two picks (or prospects). One pick for the upgrade in player quality and one for Detroit taking on Reimer's contract.

Reunite the Bernier Reimer duo in Detroit.
I don't see Howard as being better than Reimer either. As I said, Howard stole the Panthers a point the other night in spite of Hutchinson flushing away the other and trying to flush away both. Howard has been a bad goalie for years now, even before Detroit became a bad team. He had one isolated and very random good season 2 years ago, before regressing right back to his declining state the next year.

That said, this might not be a bad deal for Florida, as Howard is a pending UFA and Reimer has like 2 more years left after this? Getting rid of his last 2 years would be pretty good for them. He's an okay backup, but you also need a better backup than him when you have a 39 year old goalie that's missed significant time with injury over the last 3 years.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Canes got Scott Darling. He would be at least a 4 percent upgrade.

What do you offer for big red?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
@Bleedred Nobody arguing past the first ugly wrap around goal, but I'm trying to figure out how you, most of my fellow Panthers board members, or anyone else holding a job in the media can trash a goalie while not giving credit to Chris Kreider screening for Zucc and Mika for the next three goals.

Three goals were seen as stoppable after reviewing video? Out of the 2 screens from Kreider and then both Kreider and Matheson being in the way, which of those shots were stoppable?

How is a well placed shot thru a screen...since when is that a stoppable?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
@Bleedred Nobody arguing past the first ugly wrap around goal, but I'm trying to figure out how you, most of my fellow Panthers board members, or anyone else holding a job in the media can trash a goalie while not giving credit to Chris Kreider screening for Zucc and Mika for the next three goals.

Three goals were seen as stoppable after reviewing video? Out of the 2 screens from Kreider and then both Kreider and Matheson being in the way, which of those shots were stoppable?

How is a well placed shot thru a screen...since when is that a stoppable?
I don't think either of these screens were good enough to absolve blame of the goalie.

You can't just look at a screen and say ''Well, he was screened! He can't do anything about it!''.

There's a reason why Hutchinson is a mediocre goalie through his career and I can look at his play last night and the game before that and say ''Okay, makes sense! This goalie looks bad on the eyes and he looks bad on paper too!''.

Come on dude, these screens are hardly screens. Especially on I think it was the fourth goal? The guy ''Screening'' wasn't even in front of him. Look at the replay, the guy is off to the side and the shot is coming straight for him. If he's screened by that then it's HIS fault. He's not doing a good enough job of playing goalie if that's screening him.

These are VERY questionable screens. Unless the guy is right in the goalies face or there's a lot of traffic in the way of the goalie, I'm not absolving him of blame for a screen like that.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
Poor hutch, started out with the peg all fresh faced and super positive, left winnipeg looking like literally the evil version of himself with a definite chip on his shoulder. Really was hoping he'd find a new home and flourish. He makes a great AHL goalie.. so there is that :dunno:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Regarding screens, I'll use the goal Trocheck scored on Georgiev last night. Barkov basically has his ass in Georgiev's face. He can't see that one coming at all. Especially when looking at the rear angle cam from behind the net. I'd give him a break on that goal and say that's an acceptable enough screen.

Goal 2 on Hutchinson, it's pointless to argue if he was or wasn't screened on this. It went off of Matheson's leg and I'm not dinging Hutchinson on that one.

Goal 3 was a partial screen, but he's not doing a good enough job tracking it and he gets beat short side.

Goal 4 was hardly a screen at all. I don't see much of a screen on this one. I see bodies off to the other side of the net. Not near where he was beaten or in his way or vision.

Am I doubting he couldn't see either of these shots? No. Do I think he should have saw them though? Yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad