GDT: Florida Panthers Vs. Montreal Canadiens 1/22/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
you know what it feels like to me? I think that 1st win against Carolina really hurt us. It feels that because of how badly we outplayed Carolina that our team feels they don't have to hussle and they just have to show up! I hope this game and last nights game makes them feel differently. Win or Lose against Ottawa Thursday, I expect 100% effort out of this team!

Jan 19, 2006
I know many of you are very upset after this game, but you all should really look at the silver lining here...

at least you don't have to be the guy trying to sell $16,500 season passes to Club Red to watch this steaming turd.... :sarcasm:

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
you know what it feels like to me? I think that 1st win against Carolina really hurt us. It feels that because of how badly we outplayed Carolina that our team feels they don't have to hussle and they just have to show up! I hope this game and last nights game makes them feel differently. Win or Lose against Ottawa Thursday, I expect 100% effort out of this team!

I agree sort-of, but I think losing that first game would have made our confidence even worse, I don't think losing the first game would've made a difference in either of these games. I'd much rather be 1-2 than 0-3.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Yeah, it's no surprise teams are struggling. We have plenty of games left but it's not looking good. I don't se how we turn this around any time soon. If it takes two weeks, it could be too late.

Many people forget that outside the playoffs last year starting in December 2011-April 2012 we were a sub .500 team. Our top line of flash weiss steeg fell off a cliff during that time period as well. So imo this is more of the same.

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I agree sort-of, but I think losing that first game would have made our confidence even worse, I don't think losing the first game would've made a difference in either of these games. I'd much rather be 1-2 than 0-3.

Didn't say I wanted us to lose that 1st game. Just because of the way we won it, our players feel they only need to show up and not actually play hard to win. It's like they are waiting for the 2nd line to do something like they did in the 1st game. Only 1/3 of the team has actually shown up to play the last 2games. And we need everyone to show up to compete nightly!

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Well philadelphia has gotten beat worse than we have theyre now 0-3, if that gives anyone any solace. Also it appears carolina, winnipeg, and washington are all off to slow starts.

NJ was 2-4-2 after 8 games after the last lockout and they won the cup. So I don't think all these teams need to hit the panic button. Maybe the WTF button but not the panic button yet.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
after a game like that, i'd normally say that it's just a game to forget about. but considering you just played two of them in a row, i dont think you can do that.

there's so many problems with this team i don't even know where to begin.

#1 is just simple system flaw that even mites know. billy touched on it a bit - 3rd forward back. they are doing an absolutely terrible job of keeping a forward back to prevent odd-man rushes...especially the huberdeau-mueller-kovalev line. everyone will blame kovalev (he's been bad, no doubt) but mueller and huberdeau have been equally as guilty.

#2 defense has been bad...really bad. too many turnovers. terrible coverage in zone. i have no idea why dineen went with caruso over strachan. i've liked what i've seen from strachan every time i've seen him play.

#3 - just too much selfish play going on. weiss especially looks disinterested, and that penalty that led to the canadiens fourth goal was beyond stupid and selfish. fleishmann hasn't done anything but at least i get the sense he's trying to create something. but his unsportsmanlike penalty is the definition of selfish. ellerby looked like he tripped the canadien that led to the third goal on purpose because he was tired. gut it out, if not, don't ****ing play.

after them - aside from kopecky and skille (maybe matthias) - every single player is simply not working hard enough. kovalev's getting singled out because of his history (he's guilty, not saying he isn't) - but Huberdeau has been just as terrible. he needs to keep his game simple and not try these type of plays that might have worked in juniors. they're rarely, if ever, going to work at this level and have directly led to goals on more than one occasion. he was fantastic on opening night but quite frankly, his presence and constant turnovers have been killing this team. that line as a whole is an absolute disaster right now defensively. mueller hasn't been as guilty as the other two but by no means would i classify him as a two-way center either. even if mike peca in his prime was centering huberdeau and kovalev that line would still be putrid defensively the way they're playing though.

the only positive from this game i thought was the play of drew shore. he really didn't do much but, for the exact reasons i mentioned above, he stood out. he kept his play simple, always made the responsible play and he looks skilled enough to contribute in a top-9 role (right now). he's fast and strong on his skates. i actually think he's more of an NHL player right now than huberdeau is. huberdeau is clearly more offensively skilled but his habits are sloppy as hell and his body is still frail. if you fart on him he loses control of the puck.

the start we've had this year reminds me of last year. start off well, then fall twice in two ridiculously lazy efforts. tallon is the one who shook the team up and traded booth away...it seemed to wake the team up and the rest is (good) history

something similar needs to happen right now because this team is a mess. i'm not trying to say do something just for the sake of doing something, but then again, i kinda am. at the time, the booth trade was thought to be a terrible one but in hindsight it wasn't. samuelsson was a much more consistent contributor in the present and long term we arent hampered by booth's inflated cap hit.

what's the answer? i dont know...hopefully tallon does though. even if it's just a minor trade/addition/subtraction, do something to make these guys take their heads out of their *****.

:shakehead

Last edited:

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
I don't think Tallon has the guts to do it, but I wonder if he would trade Weiss, that would be crazy. I think we should make a trade though.

probably the dumbest thing anyone could say about Dale Tallon. if anyone had bigger balls than him, i'd like to see it.

this is the same guy who traded fan-favorite for "scraps" last year. he was vilified for it initially and turned out to be genius. how soon we forget....

i wouldn't rule out trading weiss at all. especially if he keeps playing like this. i've been defending weiss' importance in all the other threads and laughing at everyone who thinks he's replaceable...but if you dont want to be here, then get the ******* out of here .

BTW: these last few games are a glimpse of what we are without weiss (and goc). our two most responsible centers are out and replaced by whatever the hell Weiss is right now and Matthias, Mueller and Smithson (who is responsible, but he's terrible so it doesn't really matter)

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Harvey Fialkov @hfialkov
Weaver was blooded up too and angry about the poor PK unit#flapanthers

Harvey Fialkov @hfialkov
Dineen praised Kopeck but not first line's defense. #flapanthers

Seems like a team meeting is in order.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Clearly everyone isn't on the same page right now.

I don't know what's going on, but this TEAM played like a TEAM night in and night out last season. Right now, it looks very disjointed.

Everyone better start buying in and quick or else this team will implode.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
heres's what i'd do for thursdays game: (assuming no injured players are back)

play jovo (he sucks, but leadership is apparent.....last night's game was just as bad but it felt like the team kept it's composure...tonight we lost it), play strachan, bench caruso (obviously) and ellerby.

give shore a bigger role...a much bigger role. he's my second line center on thursday.

break up the second line...all three should be on separate lines, they're too terrible defensively to not be. let them play together on a powerplays if you like their in-zone chemistry, but even that seems to be fading quickly and not worth the headaches they're causing.

give huberdeau and kovalev alot less even strength IT.

if i'm dineen, i absolutely scold weiss in an effort to WAKE THE **** UP! privately, of course.

fleishmann-weiss-mueller
huberdeau-shore-kopecky
upshall-matthias-skille
parros-smithson-kovalev

campbell-strachan
kuba-kulikov
jovo-weaver

and then pray steeger, goc and bergy get better, quickly :help:

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
Kopecky, Mueller, Smithson, Skille, and Matthias have been the only players I have been semi-impressed with, everyone else has just either been invisible or played pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad