Line Combos: Florida Panthers line up for 2017-2018

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Panthers should try to get Khokhlachev out of Boston. Boston won't give him any role, and he won't come from the KHL without getting a garanteed place on top6 (or at least a 1-way contract). He's almost a PPG in the KHL right now, will be 25 this year, and RW - exactly what Florida needs. Of course, trading within the same division is always a problem, though.

If his team doesn't make playoffs, he'll be free as soon as at the begining of March.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I saw McCann with Trocheck last night for a little bit. Overall didn't see anything that impressed me than again the whole team was terrible

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Dadonov-Barkov-Hawryluk
Huberdeau-Trocheck-Malgin
McCann-Bjugstad-Sceviour
Haley-MacKenzie-Brickley

PP1

Barkov/Dadonov (boards & dot)
Hawryluk (garbage man)
Bjugstad/Yandle (point, have to try something new there since nothing currently is working, our d-men are too predictable and Dadonov/Trocheck point experiment hasn't gone well)

PP2

Trocheck/Huberdeau (boards & dot)
Sceviour (garbage man)
Ekblad or Weegar/Matheson (point)

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
Panthers should try to get Khokhlachev out of Boston. Boston won't give him any role, and he won't come from the KHL without getting a garanteed place on top6 (or at least a 1-way contract). He's almost a PPG in the KHL right now, will be 25 this year, and RW - exactly what Florida needs. Of course, trading within the same division is always a problem, though.

If his team doesn't make playoffs, he'll be free as soon as at the begining of March.
I would not be against this. Could be a good move especially if management is still afraid of committing long term money and years to free agents.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Malgin - Barkov - Dadonov
Huberdeau - Trocheck - Bjugstad/Sceviour
Mamin - McCann - Sceviour/Bjugstad/Hawryluk
Mcginn/Brickley - Mack - Hawryluk/Haley
Haley

Matheson - Ekblad
Yandle - Pysyk
Mccoshen - Weegar/Petrovic

Depending on trade deadline...
Try and trade Vrbata or waive him
Try and trade Sceviour if you think contract negotiations won't work...

Get Mamin and Hawryluk some ice time. We need to see if they can handle some bottom 6 time going forward. I'd like to have both of them on the team next year.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
What happened to Haapala? I remember seeing him in a lot of projected lineups for you guys before the season started, but he's only played in 5 NHL games this season.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
The problem with the defense is that they are defending too much and coaching.

Yes, Ekblad and Yandle enjoy playing together, but ideally one of those two should be on the 2nd pairing where he can be somewhat sheltered. Having them play together means that Ekblad has to cover for Yandle which lowers his offensive output, which is his best attribute.

Ekblad - Matheson
Yandle - Pyksyk
Petrovic - Weeger

The above makes more sense on paper. Please take it with a grain of salt though.

Our defense is just fine when the team as a whole controls the puck, generates more high danger chances than the opposing team.

Sure there is no dynamic talent like Victor Hedman, Erik Karlsson, PK Subban, Zach Werenski......etc. But as a group they are one of the better ones in the league.

The Penguins won a Stanley Cub with worse defenders because they controlled the game by controlling the puck. Now we don't have that level of forward talent and coaching but it is possible to build a team without the typical #1A defender. Aside from the fact that only 9-10 of those guys exist in the first place ? And I'm probably being generous.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
The problem with the defense is that they are defending too much and coaching.

Yes, Ekblad and Yandle enjoy playing together, but ideally one of those two should be on the 2nd pairing where he can be somewhat sheltered. Having them play together means that Ekblad has to cover for Yandle which lowers his offensive output, which is his best attribute.

Ekblad - Matheson
Yandle - Pyksyk
Petrovic - Weeger

The above makes more sense on paper. Please take it with a grain of salt though.

Our defense is just fine when the team as a whole controls the puck, generates more high danger chances than the opposing team.

Sure there is no dynamic talent like Victor Hedman, Erik Karlsson, PK Subban, Zach Werenski......etc. But as a group they are one of the better ones in the league.

The Penguins won a Stanley Cub with worse defenders because they controlled the game by controlling the puck. Now we don't have that level of forward talent and coaching but it is possible to build a team without the typical #1A defender. Aside from the fact that only 9-10 of those guys exist in the first place ? And I'm probably being generous.
Actually I would put McCoshen in for Petro or Weegar and pair him with Ekblad. McCoshen is good defensively and has a bit of grit which I think would be a good pairing for Ekblad. I think Matheson would be a little bit better with Ekblad than Yandle, but I think a few of the same problems Ek has with Yandle will occur with Matheson.
A few weeks ago I would have said take out Petro first and foremost when looking for someone to sit, but he has been better the last few weeks, and Weegar has regressed a bit.
But overall, I don't agree with you assessment on the D.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
McCoshen again showed last Game his baddest weakness.
He turned over the Puck, on his outlet pass. He is still young and hesitate with the Puck and Decision making.

In that Point Weegar is better then Petro and McCoshen. That is no biased Opinion, as a Fan of Weegar.

In that Point, McCoshen has to work and you can only do it with Game experience, and experience after Seasons.

McCoshen defensiv and Physical Game is better then Petro and Weegar. He skate out and place his checks pretty clean.

Current I would be for get another 7 or 6th defenseman and give McCoshen bigger Ice time in the AHL. Only to get more experience and more calm with his Game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad