GDT: Florida @ Ottberia 7pm TSN5

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Fighting is part of the sport of hockey.

I get not fighting your brother when you're on an outdoor rink, or playing shiny, or playing at the high school competitive level.

But when you make it your profession to be a professional athlete, you've got to do your job. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be a pro.

Not saying Brady has to throw knockout punches or hit his brother with a dirty hit or attempt to injure. You shouldn't ask anyone to do that against any opponent. But you finish your checks, play hard, and if a fight breaks out, you fight.
Matthew fought Sanderson. Why hasn't Brady fought Montour or Barkov? This idea that he and his brother need to fight is absurd on its face, like that's the only way Brady can regain or even the edge in this matchup. Lots of other skilled guys on the ice that he can go after to send a message. His brother doesn't have a problem mixing it up with Sanderson and Stutzle and other young stars on the roster but somehow everyone on Florida, except the plugs, are off-limits to Brady. Matthew takes lots of liberties throughout the game and in return Brady waits until the game's over to smash his sticks over the boards in frustration.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Fighting is part of the sport of hockey.

I get not fighting your brother when you're on an outdoor rink, or playing shiny, or playing at the high school competitive level.

But when you make it your profession to be a professional athlete, you've got to do your job. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be a pro.

Not saying Brady has to throw knockout punches or hit his brother with a dirty hit or attempt to injure. You shouldn't ask anyone to do that against any opponent. But you finish your checks, play hard, and if a fight breaks out, you fight.
Lots of players go their entire career never fighting, his job isn't fighting it's playing hockey.

Fights happening as a natural consequence of emotions getting high and players reacting on those emotions when they feel a line was crossed, and that's fine, but people aren't complaining that he isn't reacting to a big hit in the heat of moment, they want him to target his brother for a fight to retaliate or change the flow of the game, pick him out of a scrum.

It's a weird obsession that it has to be his brother when there are lots of guys on Florida that I'm sure the sens weren't happy with in all their games.

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
Plus Fs coming back into the D zone slot watching the puck but not taking/marking a man. They are still doing that with the new interim coaching staff.
Yeah they had been doing a somewhat better job in games they win or try to compete in but not the other night. I guess some habits hard to try and break. Especially when you’re allowed to go five seasons not being corrected or made to watch video on any of it.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Yeah exactly. Do something to change the outcome of the game while there is still time left to make that shift.

Brady loves trying to take on the other bench in the last minute of a blow out.

Stop doing that, but go lay out the star when it's only 2-0 in the first and we have lots of time to shift momentum and actually come back in the game.

Gets into it with "them"? I'm talking about his brother.

He never gets into it with him.

Go look at the last game where there was a mini brawl at center ice after the period. Brady literally ignored Matthew who was going at our goalie to go after someone else who wasn't doing much.

Can you name me one other team where Brady would skate around the rat who's smacking our goalie at center ice to go grab someone else?

Makes no sense.

Here, look at the 1:35ish mark of the video. It all starts with Matthew Tkachuk and korpisalo going at it...you see Matthew Tkachuk in korpisalos face.

You see Brady Tkachuk trying to get at literally any Florida Panthers EXCEPT Matthew Tkachuk at the 1:55 mark, who was the guy in our goalies face who started this scrum. Why is Highmore doing more to Matthew than Brady?

Brady actually literally skates around Matthew to go shove another Florida skater who never got near our goalie.

I don't know how you don't notice this weirdness with Brady purposely straying away from Matthew.

I've also seen Brady in perfect position to lay down the boom on Matthew but he curls away and then looks for a big hit on Matthews teammate. Why? Why not just finish your big hit on your brother??

I agree I’d like to see him finish his brother. It’s time to get over it. If Matthew wants a free pass he should play a softer game otherwise Brady has to play his game as well.

Brady is playing with a hand tied behind his back whenever we play Matthew.

It’s also a perfect example for how Brady’s fighting and physical play are a significant boon to his effectiveness and intimidation. When he isn’t doing it, we notice immediately.

If he isn’t going to step up to Matthew, I’d like to see him take it out on one of their stars like they do with Stutzle. Grab a hold of Lundell and tee off.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
I agree I’d like to see him finish his brother. It’s time to get over it. If Matthew wants a free pass he should play a softer game otherwise Brady has to play his game as well.

Brady is playing with a hand tied behind his back whenever we play Matthew.

It’s also a perfect example for how Brady’s fighting and physical play are a significant boon to his effectiveness and intimidation. When he isn’t doing it, we notice immediately.

If he isn’t going to step up to Matthew, I’d like to see him take it out on one of their stars like they do with Stutzle. Grab a hold of Lundell and tee off.

That's pretty much it. If Mathew is going to rat around and go after Stutzle, Sanderson etc. Brady just needs to grab Lundel or Barkov. Tell Mathew it's coming.

Florida has a bunch of guys throughout the lineup who can play that game though. Ottawa is clearly at a disadvantage if things go that way.

It is a matchup that exposes the Sens lack of a coherent identity. They would like to play tough, but don't have the players to do it. Brady, and Kastelic. That's really it. Kelly and Grieg have the fight, but are small. No real fight through the middle of the lineup.

No bite in the backend either. Kleven will get there, but still very green.

Reactions: lang006 and DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We need to add some a fish and a smith to this line up up front.

We need some secondary guys who will throw down when they get annoyed or when they see teammates getting bullied.

We have one guy. Sometimes two if Kasty is feeling onrnery.

We need a fire cracker of our own. And a coaching staff that wants us to play that kind of heavy game.

Jacque for all the definitive acumen he brings, has always been more of a turn the other cheek type of coach, which I always hated.

I really don’t want that to be our identity, I want the opposite.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
Welcome to the club. I've been here for a couple months now.

I honestly try to call these people out any chance I get.

It's insanity to think positive things about this team at this point.
I am still a fan of this organization, the Ottawa Senators franchise. However, and it honestly kills me to say it because I never thought it could come to this, but I actually hate this team. I hate everything about it, and I've given up entirely on believing it will find any type of success. The rebuild was a massive failure, and I don't believe coaching is going to solve the problem.

This team needs to be nearly entirely undone before this franchise will find any chance at success.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Lots of players go their entire career never fighting, his job isn't fighting it's playing hockey.

Fights happening as a natural consequence of emotions getting high and players reacting on those emotions when they feel a line was crossed, and that's fine, but people aren't complaining that he isn't reacting to a big hit in the heat of moment, they want him to target his brother for a fight to retaliate or change the flow of the game, pick him out of a scrum.

It's a weird obsession that it has to be his brother when there are lots of guys on Florida that I'm sure the sens weren't happy with in all their games.
It is weird, but for some on here he will never do enough even though you outlined on another post a number of milestones Brady is reaching. Who else on this team has had that kind of impact on this team yr in & yr out since he was drafted? Why doesn't Batherson get into it with Mathew? Batherson is 6'3" & a decent fighter. What about Katelic, MacEwan, Imama, Joseph, Katchouk, Pinto or Chychrun? Why always Brady? He is their leading goal scorer & they need him more on the ice.

And then there is the Jacques factor who never liked fighting in the past & wanted his players to ignore it. Remember Andre Roy haven't to look over to the bench to see if he could go? It seems that some of the people who continually give Brady back handed compliments when he does well. are the same ones who want Brady to fight his brother & are the same ones who don't like fighting or don't want tough guys on the team, it's a paradox?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I am still a fan of this organization, the Ottawa Senators franchise. However, and it honestly kills me to say it because I never thought it could come to this, but I actually hate this team. I hate everything about it, and I've given up entirely on believing it will find any type of success. The rebuild was a massive failure, and I don't believe coaching is going to solve the problem.

This team needs to be nearly entirely undone before this franchise will find any chance at success.

Exactly. I record and watch every game. Everyone knows I'm the biggest sens fan. I watch podcasts. I invest a lot of my time.

But I find it sooo much easier and more fun to just make fun of how bad the team is then to keep hoping for improvements and being let down.

At least with this position, you can't lose. As the team becomes good, you will be happy. And while the team keeps sucking you will have more ammo to make fun of and laugh at the team.

It's probably a defense mechanism that has came about, but it's just sooooo much easier to chirp them and go against the positive people. It's an easy win. A positive person simply cannot win a logical argument about the team with a realist.

Easiest argument in my life lol.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It is weird, but for some on here he will never do enough even though you outlined on another post a number of milestones Brady is reaching. Who else on this team has had that kind of impact on this team yr in & yr out since he was drafted? Why doesn't Batherson get into it with Mathew? Batherson is 6'3" & a decent fighter. What about Katelic, MacEwan, Imama, Joseph, Katchouk, Pinto or Chychrun? Why always Brady? He is their leading goal scorer & they need him more on the ice.

And then there is the Jacques factor who never liked fighting in the past & wanted his players to ignore it. Remember Andre Roy haven't to look over to the bench to see if he could go? It seems that some of the people who continually give Brady back handed compliments when he does well. are the same ones who want Brady to fight his brother & are the same ones who don't like fighting or don't want tough guys on the team, it's a paradox?

I've criticized Brady at times but I love him and want to keep him.

I would be excited if he dropped the gloves with his brother.

I enjoy watching fighting.

I want more tough guys.

I'm not sure I'm super rare. I'm not sure if most of the people that have one of those characteristics also have all of them, as they are pretty opposite end of the spectrum.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I've criticized Brady at times but I love him and want to keep him.

I would be excited if he dropped the gloves with his brother.

I enjoy watching fighting.

I want more tough guys.

I'm not sure I'm super rare. I'm not sure if most of the people that have one of those characteristics also have all of them, as they are pretty opposite end of the spectrum.
You are in the minority admitting you like fighting, but when there is a fight the entire arena in almost any city goes wild. It takes a certain kind of player to drop the gloves, we have seen it go bad a few times for a player & we have a few guys who will just not consistenly. We can't have Brady doing all the fighting he is their leading goal scorer & need him on the ice more. Other guys need to step up, but we could also use a few more tougher players on that we agree. There is also the dark side to that unfortunately & I know one personally in that a number of fighters pay for it after their careers are done & we need to be aware of that & have something in place to help them.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
Exactly. I record and watch every game. Everyone knows I'm the biggest sens fan. I watch podcasts. I invest a lot of my time.

But I find it sooo much easier and more fun to just make fun of how bad the team is then to keep hoping for improvements and being let down.

At least with this position, you can't lose. As the team becomes good, you will be happy. And while the team keeps sucking you will have more ammo to make fun of and laugh at the team.

It's probably a defense mechanism that has came about, but it's just sooooo much easier to chirp them and go against the positive people. It's an easy win. A positive person simply cannot win a logical argument about the team with a realist.

Easiest argument in my life lol.

And you know, we don't need to go back into a long rebuild. We've got some talented pieces that we can make hockey trades for and get this team back on the right track next season.

1) We need to move on from Brady. I love the guy, but he's not the right leader for this team. He will bring back a good haul.

2) The team needs to be built around Stutzle, Pinto, and Sanderson. Everyone else should be considered trade bait for a good hockey trade or to help refill the prospect cupboard. Giroux and Zub could also be held onto but absolutely tradable for the right return.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
And you know, we don't need to go back into a long rebuild. We've got some talented pieces that we can make hockey trades for and get this team back on the right track next season.

1) We need to move on from Brady. I love the guy, but he's not the right leader for this team. He will bring back a good haul.

2) The team needs to be built around Stutzle, Pinto, and Sanderson. Everyone else should be considered trade bait for a good hockey trade or to help refill the prospect cupboard. Giroux and Zub could also be held onto but absolutely tradable for the right return.
HOLY F%$%$%#$%$##K! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: ........ you don't love the guy if you want to get rid of him ..... there are 31 teams who would love to get a player like Tkachuk. Ottawa has wanted a player like him since they came back into the NHL. Worse take ever Tony!

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.

No. We need rock solid goaltending, a coach like Berube and luck with injuries. Ottawa gets those three things and we're in the playoffs IMO.

I honestly believe we are every bit as good (if not better) than the Caps, Devils, Wings, Flyers, Islanders and Pens.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

Yeah! We need a real leader that can stop pucks too! Brady can't stop a puck worth shit...might as well throw Forsberg in nets.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Why are people complaining that Brady should fight his brother? That’s family, he shouldn’t have to do that.

What is concerning is the Mathew fought Sanderson….Brady should have responded by fighting Barkov, Reinhart etc.

Reactions: Loach

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Why are people complaining that Brady should fight his brother? That’s family, he shouldn’t have to do that.

What is concerning is the Mathew fought Sanderson….Brady should have responded by fighting Barkov, Reinhart etc.
Matthew said he would fight Timmy or Sandy. Sandy heard it and accepted the challenge, he imitated it and Matthew obliged.

That said, Brady needs to give he brother a warning or something, play like a rat and it’s happening or you go down turtling and looking silly

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Matthew said he would fight Timmy or Sandy. Sandy heard it and accepted the challenge, he imitated it and Matthew obliged.

That said, Brady needs to give he brother a warning or something, play like a rat and it’s happening or you go down turtling and looking silly
Tough guy Mathew going after the German who is crying after every play and a sophomore. Props to Sanderson for stepping up and not being a coward.

Brady should do the same thing and go after their stars.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Maybe you build around the talent of Stutzle and Sanderson but neither one is a leader that guys rally behind. You get rid of BT and I can't think of any guy on the team under the age of 35 that would deserve the C.

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
He should just play his game, running around after guys like a rat isn't how he's effective, being physical on every shift regardless of who is on the ice and playing with pace is.
Agreed with this. Let’s see if he does that. I realize FLA is a much better team than us but I digress. Throughout this season Brady vs his brother has been an embarrassment for Brady. I’d say he’s been fairly uninvolved by his standards. Besides getting cranky with under two mins left and we are already getting embarrassed 6-0 by that point then he tries to show emotion and it’s just pure frustration. He most definitely doesn’t have to do something dirty. Seeing as Brady is capable of a 16 hit game and not take stupid penalties while doing so then let’s see that happen. Show that emotion vs brother Matthew’s team and see how Matthew reacts.

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
He should just play his game, running around after guys like a rat isn't how he's effective, being physical on every shift regardless of who is on the ice and playing with pace is.
I'd prefer he send a message by specifically and legally targeting the opposition's star players. If they go after our star players theirs will be in the crossheirs.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You are in the minority admitting you like fighting, but when there is a fight the entire arena in almost any city goes wild. It takes a certain kind of player to drop the gloves, we have seen it go bad a few times for a player & we have a few guys who will just not consistenly. We can't have Brady doing all the fighting he is their leading goal scorer & need him on the ice more. Other guys need to step up, but we could also use a few more tougher players on that we agree. There is also the dark side to that unfortunately & I know one personally in that a number of fighters pay for it after their careers are done & we need to be aware of that & have something in place to help them.

Sure. We know the risks...but plenty of players know the risks but would rather come make league minimum for 5 years getting in 10 fights a year then to work at Wal Mart for $18 an hour.

There are risks, but they could be the difference between earning millions in your career and earning below the national average.

Many people would choose the millions. Especially tough competitive people.

That's just comparing to the bottom playoff teams.

I don't want to just make the playoffs.

I want to have a top 3-5 team for 3-5 years where we can legitimately win a cup.

If we're pacing to peak as just a playoff team, I'd rather go back and do it properly this time then waste years on a failed build.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'd prefer he send a message by specifically and legally targeting the opposition's star players. If they go after our star players theirs will be in the crossheirs.
If you target their stars they will target your stars, that is why Mathew said we are going after Sanderson. Tthey will also target Stutzle, Batherson, Pinto & Greig, the guys that make a difference for Ott. It's the code.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad