Eklund Rumor: Florida may have interest in JVR

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Take with a grain of salt, but, let's for a second say this rumour has legs...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...-Willing-to-Take-Chucky-Mons-Buzzcast/1/86793

My proposal

To Florida:
JVR + Fehr + Marincin + Marchenko

To Toronto:
McCann + Demers + 3rd in 18

Florida brings in JVR to help replace some of the offense they lost this past off season (Smith, Marchessault). They basically swap out Demers for Jvr (salary wise) and have a great opportunity to extend him. Most think JVR will settle for 6-6.5m per, which is respectable. Florida, as part of the deal takes on 2 additional contracts, which they can easily do as they currently only have 39 on the books.

Toronto finally gets their RHD (Demers) even though he isn't their 1st,2nd or 3rd choice (most likely). The main piece of the deal is a little bit of a gamble (McCann) as this would mark his 3rd major league club. I personally like his potential and upside as a (at best) 2nd line centre but more likely a 3rd line centre. Toronto also receives a 3rd round pick and the ability to dump two additional contracts as neither Demers or McCann is a high end asset.

Thoughts?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Jvr - Demers swap makes sense.

Panthers need a top 6 winger. Leafs need a RHD capable of playing middle-pairing minutes.

Also Panthers have to send someone back with equal salary because of their internal budget, and that brings us back to Demers.

Leafs get to give Kapanen legit minutes next season.

I know Demers didn't have his best year, but he's usually good for scoring at a 30 point pace and can log 20 mins a night. Playing in Toronto probably compliments his skillset better too. I think he would be a decent #4. And if he does work out, he's signed for 3 more years taking him to 32 yrs old.

Panthers add something, but not a 1st or their best prospect or anything like that. In addition maybe they free up some contracts for the Leafs. In fact, the Panthers 4th line ain't looking too hot either. Could use a guy like Fehr, and maybe take one of Marchenko/Marincin off their hands to be their #7.

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Hyman - Moore - Martin

Rielly - Demers
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Carrick

Andersen
McElhinney

---------------------------------------

Huberdeau - Barkov - Dadonov
JvR - Trocheck - Vrbata
Haapala - Malgin - Bjugstad
Fehr - McKenzie - Sceviour

Yandle - Ekblad
Matheson - Petrovic
McCoshen - Pysyk

Luongo
Reimer

Looking like teams ready for a new season.

Last edited:

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Jvr - Demers swap makes sense.

Panthers need a top 6 winger. Leafs need a RHD capable of playing middle-pairing minutes.

Also Panthers have to send someone back with equal salary because of their internal budget, and that brings us back to Demers.

Leafs get to give Kapanen legit minutes next season.

I know Demers didn't have his best year, but he's usually good for scoring at a 30 point pace and can log 20 mins a night. Playing in Toronto probably compliments his skillset better too. I think he would be a decent #4. And if he does work out, he's signed for 3 more years taking him to 32 yrs old.

Panthers add something, but not a 1st or their best prospect or anything like that. In addition maybe they free up some contracts for the Leafs. In fact, the Panthers 4th line ain't looking too hot either. Could use a guy like Fehr, and maybe take one of Marchenko/Marincin off their hands.

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Hyman - Moore - Martin

Rielly - Demers
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Carrick

Andersen
McElhinney

---------------------------------------

Huberdeau - Barkov - Dadonov
JvR - Trocheck - Vrbata
Haapala - Malgin - Bjugstad
Fehr - McKenzie - Sceviour

Yandle - Ekblad
Matheson - Petrovic
McCoshen - Pysyk

Luongo
Reimer

Looking like teams ready for a new season.

McCann has to be involved, heck he's the main piece heading to Toronto. Lol

Demers is a borderline cap dump and surely no where nears the value of JVR.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^Yeah the deal is too big. The Cats need to get Demers off the books to get down to $65M so I don't see anything coming the Cats way other than a high round draft choice + the Cats will likely have to eat $500K. JVR would be nice but the hard internal cap would kill that deal. If a deal does go down between the two clubs it will be after the start of the season when the two LTIR's kick in so the deal can be consummated. It's something to keep an eye on. :)

The net savings would take the Cap to $61M ($975K bringing up McCoshen + eating $500K of Demers). Then you have at least 4 more players to fill out the roster to 22. Haapala @$925K, Mamin @$757.5K brings the roster to 20 and the Cap back close to $63M. Maybe Repo@$740K or a waiver wire addition or 2 to round out the roster. Repo would likely alternate with Michael Haley depending on the team they were playing and the amount of enforcement needed.

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
No thank you. I do not share the burning need to trade our 2nd highest goal scorer and best left winger. I understand the asset management aspect but I would also like a deep playoff run and enjoy the idea of having one of the top offences in the league.

Demer if available could probably be got quite cheaply. No need to give up roster assets.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
I didn't think the Panthers would want to give up a first hence I included McCann and Demers.

I personally see it like this...

JVR > MCCann + Demers +3rd. (That is simply quality for quantity which is usually frowned upon) therefore I added in the additional contracts heading to Florida as the Leafs are close to the limit and Florida has 11 spots available.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I'd give JVR for Demers if Florida eats 1-1.5m AAV in retention per year for the length of his deal. No other assets required.

He's not good enough to have huge positive value and we are up too tight with the cap now. His contract extends beyond the window of our big 3 exiting their ELC's.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
I'd give JVR for Demers if Florida eats 1-1.5m AAV in retention per year for the length of his deal. No other assets required.

He's not good enough to have huge positive value and we are up too tight with the cap now. His contract extends beyond the window of our big 3 exiting their ELC's.

Why sell JVR short? He just came off his most productive year. Florida is having trouble dealing Demers do to his contract, shouldn't that tell you something? Demers on his own doesn't bring anything of real value imo.
That would be (Demers for JVR) very similar to the Schenn for JVR deal which we easily came out on top of, but in your scenario we'd be on the losing end.

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^Face the facts, JVR is a rental for 1 yr and then he goes on the open market. No team is going to want to give up anything for that unless it's either at the TDL or before for a 25-60 player in the draft. Only thing viable is for the Leafs to sign him long term and trade him.......and JVR's agent isn't stupid enough to go that route. I say the Leafs see where they are at the TDL. If JVR is having phenomenal year and they have a shot at the cup, they will keep him and lose him for nothing at the end of the year. Tough choice but it's probably the only viable option.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
wouldn't mind Demers tbh, his contract extending past 2 years could be an issue though, and not sure I'd want him to center a JVR deal.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
McCann has to be involved, heck he's the main piece heading to Toronto. Lol

Demers is a borderline cap dump and surely no where nears the value of JVR.

Why on earth would the Panthers, a bubble team even with JvR, give up one of their best prospects and a defenseman capable of being the #4 for one year of JvR?

I get that the Panthers have to add, but again, it's sure as hell not McCann.

If the Leafs want full value they trade JvR at the deadline to a team looking to make a run, which really makes no sense if the Leafs want to go far themselves.

Dealing guys like JvR at this time of the year when you're trying to do something about your contract/cap situation or whatever it might be at the same time rarely gets you full value.

^Face the facts, JVR is a rental for 1 yr and then he goes on the open market. No team is going to want to give up anything for that unless it's either at the TDL or before for a 25-60 player in the draft. Only thing viable is for the Leafs to sign him long term and trade him.......and JVR's agent isn't stupid enough to go that route. I say the Leafs see where they are at the TDL. If JVR is having phenomenal year and they have a shot at the cup, they will keep him and lose him for nothing at the end of the year. Tough choice but it's probably the only viable option.

Pretty much.

Leafs have 3 options. 1) they do well during the year and keep JvR for the playoffs 2) they don't do as well as hoped and they trade him to the highest bidder when teams are looking to add 3) they decide okay our team is good enough to do well without JvR, we get something for him that can improve our team in other ways, + an asset like a pick and shed a contract or two in the deal to get that sorted out. In this case that's Demers+ (but the + is not McCann) for JvR, Fehr and Marchenko for example. Re-sign Brown and off you go.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Why on earth would the Panthers, a bubble team even with JvR, give up one of their best prospects and a defenseman capable of being the #4 for one year of JvR?

I get that the Panthers have to add, but again, it's sure as hell not McCann.

If the Leafs want full value they trade JvR at the deadline to a team looking to make a run, which really makes no sense if the Leafs want to go far themselves.

Dealing guys like JvR at this time of the year when you're trying to do something about your contract/cap situation or whatever it might be at the same time rarely gets you full value.

The Leafs wouldn't be doing that though. With the mystical summer LTIR the Leafs have cap room to sign Brown, and still have the contract spot to do it. We're a little bit congested up front but that won't force a deal as we can fit everyone in by sending down Sosh, and Kap, keeping the waiver eligible Leivo and Rychel as 13th/14th guys. Doubt anyone wants Fehr, and if you want Ben Smith please take him. It's not ideal but we're expecting to do well this year so forcing JVR out for cheap doesn't seem like something we'd do. I think management will want someone to pay their price or we'll keep him. Regardless of how eager some Leafs fans on here seem to be to move him.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
The Leafs wouldn't be doing that though. With the mystical summer LTIR the Leafs have cap room to sign Brown, and still have the contract spot to do it. We're a little bit congested up front but that won't force a deal as we can fit everyone in by sending down Sosh, and Kap, keeping the waiver eligible Leivo and Rychel as 13th/14th guys. Doubt anyone wants Fehr, and if you want Ben Smith please take him. It's not ideal but we're expecting to do well this year so forcing JVR out for cheap doesn't seem like something we'd do. I think management will want someone to pay their price or we'll keep him. Regardless of how eager some Leafs fans on here seem to be to move him.

I think the Leafs keeping JvR is the likely thing to happen. I was just talking about in case they were looking to trade him, maybe they have other plans or would like to keep open contract spot for a possible add later on in the season, or whatever it might be. At the end of the day it's definitely not ideal going into a season with 50 contracts, and adding some d-help, getting an asset, clearing up 1 xtra contract while having a guy like Kapanen ready to jump in isn't a bad option. But it's an option that doesn't net them full value for JvR.

The OP is looking to sort out everything with one JvR trade while getting full value back, which is not realistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad