Eklund Rumor: Florida may have interest in JVR

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Let's see if I can summarize the responses:

1. Leaf fans thinks its a great deal and ignore the fact that JVR is a one-year rental. Typical and anticipated.
  2. Panther fans think its a bad (lopsided) deal and don't like the one-year rental part. Also anticipated.
  3. Someone also took into consideration the hard internal cap the Panthers will have making this even more unlikely (if that's possible). Novel idea.
  4. Many think the best return would be at the TDL.
  5. Its Eklund.

Don't think I missed anything? Doesn't seem like there's enough here with merit for a real discussion. Lock it up?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs need to get rid of the JVR contract to sign Brown.
JVR to the Rangers for Staal at 50% ??

That's not accurate. Leafs have 10.5 of LTIR. Brown can be signed easily. And to keep Staal on the books for 2.9m for four years. Really.

I would rather have JVR this year and then to get cap space rather have the Demers for four more years at 4.5m.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007

1. Leaf fans thinks its a great deal and ignore the fact that JVR is a one-year rental. Typical and anticipated.
  2. Panther fans think its a bad (lopsided) deal and don't like the one-year rental part. Also anticipated.
  3. Someone also took into consideration the hard internal cap the Panthers will have making this even more unlikely (if that's possible). Novel idea.
  5. Its Eklund.

Don't think I missed anything? Doesn't seem like there's enough here with merit for a real discussion. Lock it up?

Bluebleblahblue

Last edited:

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007

5. Its Eklund.

Why be a hater?

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
giphy.gif

Ahahaha you sir are a magician.

Leaf fans seem to think there players are worth gold. This gif is a priceless response. Well done.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
So the Leafs trade JVR for a defenseman with a terrible contract and a prospect, while good has a 0% chance of playing a significant role with the Leafs?

Both teams say no.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Ahahaha you sir are a magician.

Leaf fans seem to think there players are worth gold. This gif is a priceless response. Well done.

JVR, while i agree only has a year left, but a 60+ point 30 goal 1st line winger is being discussed for Demers and a prospect and that's your definition of gold? I won't lose a minute of sleep if this "goldmine" doesn't come home.....

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Do you think that having Demers locked up for 5 years at 4.5 mill per year is a good thing?

I think its an average thing.

He has a fair contract and is top 4 dman. He's getting paid like I'd expect him to.

Your comment about his "terrible contract" is laughable.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Jvr - Demers swap makes sense.

Panthers need a top 6 winger. Leafs need a RHD capable of playing middle-pairing minutes.

Also Panthers have to send someone back with equal salary because of their internal budget, and that brings us back to Demers.

Leafs get to give Kapanen legit minutes next season.

I know Demers didn't have his best year, but he's usually good for scoring at a 30 point pace and can log 20 mins a night. Playing in Toronto probably compliments his skillset better too. I think he would be a decent #4. And if he does work out, he's signed for 3 more years taking him to 32 yrs old.

Panthers add something, but not a 1st or their best prospect or anything like that. In addition maybe they free up some contracts for the Leafs. In fact, the Panthers 4th line ain't looking too hot either. Could use a guy like Fehr, and maybe take one of Marchenko/Marincin off their hands to be their #7.

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Hyman - Moore - Martin

Rielly - Demers
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Carrick

Andersen
McElhinney

---------------------------------------

Huberdeau - Barkov - Dadonov
JvR - Trocheck - Vrbata
Haapala - Malgin - Bjugstad
Fehr - McKenzie - Sceviour

Yandle - Ekblad
Matheson - Petrovic
McCoshen - Pysyk

Luongo
Reimer

Looking like teams ready for a new season.

straight up isnt happening. panthers fans seem happy to just get a 3rd and decent prospect back for demers. leafs wouldnt accept less than a 1st and decent prospect for JVR.

to bridge the gap a mcann/hawyrluk would need to be added, and toronto would need to send back a couple warm bodies (Smith, Marcenko)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Why on earth would the Panthers, a bubble team even with JvR, give up one of their best prospects and a defenseman capable of being the #4 for one year of JvR?

I get that the Panthers have to add, but again, it's sure as hell not McCann.

If the Leafs want full value they trade JvR at the deadline to a team looking to make a run, which really makes no sense if the Leafs want to go far themselves.

Dealing guys like JvR at this time of the year when you're trying to do something about your contract/cap situation or whatever it might be at the same time rarely gets you full value.

Pretty much.

Leafs have 3 options. 1) they do well during the year and keep JvR for the playoffs 2) they don't do as well as hoped and they trade him to the highest bidder when teams are looking to add 3) they decide okay our team is good enough to do well without JvR, we get something for him that can improve our team in other ways, + an asset like a pick and shed a contract or two in the deal to get that sorted out. In this case that's Demers+ (but the + is not McCann) for JvR, Fehr and Marchenko for example. Re-sign Brown and off you go.

I think you are missing the point. The panthers are likely to be happy to just be rid of Demers and his 4.5 salary for 4 years more considering EKblad, Petrovic and Pysyk are more than good enough on the right side.

Demers had a terrible year in florida. he was a turnover machine and made questionable decisions, hence many florida fans wanting him gone.

JVR may only have a year left, but he is a 60+ pt player that is 6'4.
He would vastly improve a panthers top 6 of barkov,huberdeau,trochek, vrbata and dadonov.

JVR >> Demers. leafs would need a significant add to even consider it. this management team isnt dumb enough to grab a question mark with 4 years @ 4.5 per with the big 3 needing new deals and dermott,nielsen,liljegren,borgman,rosen in the system (and only needing one to develop into a top 4 dman)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

5. Its Eklund.

I think you need to actually read the comments. don't see many leafs fans thinking its a great deal OR panthers fans thinking demers for JVR is lopsided.

swing and a miss

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I think its an average thing.

He has a fair contract and is top 4 dman. He's getting paid like I'd expect him to.

Your comment about his "terrible contract" is laughable.

Maybe "terrible" is extreme but relative to what he brings to the ice, he's getting paid too much for too long and I'd rather not be saddled with it in year 3,4,5 especially.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Would not make trade as a Leafs fan.

I don't think Demers is really an upgrade over Carrick, and if he is it certainly isn't worth losing JVR over.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Leafs need to get rid of the JVR contract to sign Brown.
JVR to the Rangers for Staal at 50% ??

:help: Nope. Totally wrong. Not even close to accurate. We've been through this with everyone...many, many times. Please try to keep up.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Agreed with this.

Of course....nobody should be trading for JVR....not one team in history has ever traded for a player with only year left....not one team has the need for a 60 point 1LW....it's unfortunate that JVR is going to have to retire after this season as the thought of any team resigning him is straight out of the twilight zone.;)

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
If it's an Eklund Rumor it's not even worth posting, to be honest.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Of course....nobody should be trading for JVR....not one team in history has ever traded for a player with only year left....not one team has the need for a 60 point 1LW....it's unfortunate that JVR is going to have to retire after this season as the thought of any team resigning him is straight out of the twilight zone.;)
Somebody get this man his medication.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Somebody get this man his medication.
It's all good my friend....was totally being sarcastic...

If Florida could move Demers' contract by acquiring a 60 point winger (after losing Jagr), then i would love to hear the explanation of why they shouldn't.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
McCann has to be involved, heck he's the main piece heading to Toronto. Lol

Demers is a borderline cap dump and surely no where nears the value of JVR.

The deal seems fair to both teams.

Why are there so many JVR rumours? What's wrong with the guy?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->