GDT: florida man cane

we goin streakin'?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Man, it's not like we didn't know this, but seeing it on a graphic on ESPN was still crazy. On December 6th, we were nine points behind the Devils. And we're six points clear of them 24 days later.

And how would I rate our current streak?

billybob-varsityblues.gif

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Something I've said many times, Bucci was a fun studio guy, but he's beyond God awful at PBP. And the other two weren't any better.
I think AJ Mleczko is pretty good on color, but Bucci is just wearing out the same bullshit he's been using since the 90s. "Smell the glove" was funny, like, the first *thousand* times he said it.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think AJ Mleczko is pretty good on color, but Bucci is just wearing out the same bullshit he's been using since the 90s. "Smell the glove" was funny, like, the first *thousand* times he said it.
She was the best of the three. She's a bit bland at times (not like she had much to work with considering the other two), but I'd rather have that than the Bucci schtick or Moore asking about carpooling and driving in the snow for the end of game interview.

And, yeah, like I was saying, Bucci was fun as the cult sport late night nobody cares NHL 2 Night guy, but that's beyond old as the PBP guy.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
On the ESPN talk, I thought the play by play announcer was pretty bad. Made a lot of mistakes, and the icing on the cake was him shitting on the Canes storm surges (the ones in the past/more creative ones since he said they now just do the clap).

Which was ironic because PK Subban said in an intermission the NFL was the No Fun League, and the NHL is the National Happy League in the context of hockey goal celebrations being good for the sport.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I didn't read the whole GDT, but I was amazed at how wrong the ESPN announcers were so often in this game. Early on, they stated the both Florida and Canes beat MTL in their last games (and mentioned Raanta got a shutout against MTL). Very often in the game they named the wrong player. On the Svech goal, they called him Aho even as he scored. On the KK goal, not only did they call him Teravainen in the replay, in the graphics in the replay they had a tag saying it was Teravainen (which I think comes from Sports Media Technologies, not ESPN, but still). I get that they don't see all these teams all the time so mistakes will happen, but this game seemed excessive to me.

Re: The KK/Teravainen tag, that’s not from SMT. Looks like ESPN’s personal graphics.

For what it’s worth, it’s very difficult for SMT tags to be identifying the wrong player. Every player has a tracker sewn into their jersey, which allows us to add tags during play/replays as well as keep track of all the fancy stats on said player. We doublecheck the tags during warm ups to make sure everyone is tracking correctly, and any that aren’t are fixed before puck drop.

So it’d be very difficult for one of ours to be misidentifying a player in the third period. As as someone who makes goal replay packages for a living, there’s zero chance we’d be tagging the friggin’ goal scorer with the wrong name. That‘s classic ESPN.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Re: The KK/Teravainen tag, that’s not from SMT. Looks like ESPN’s personal graphics.

For what it’s worth, it’s very difficult for SMT tags to be identifying the wrong player. Every player has a tracker sewn into their jersey, which allows us to add tags during play/replays as well as keep track of all the fancy stats on said player. We doublecheck the tags during warm ups to make sure everyone is tracking correctly, and any that aren’t are fixed before puck drop.

So it’d be very difficult for one of ours to be misidentifying a player in the third period. As as someone who makes goal replay packages for a living, there’s zero chance we’d be tagging the friggin’ goal scorer with the wrong name. That‘s classic ESPN.
I gotta say, it's fun knowing someone behind the curtain. Glad you got this gig.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I gotta say, it's fun knowing someone behind the curtain. Glad you got this gig.

I am too. The only downside I’ve found is that I can’t enjoy a game in person anymore. I went to a game recently and spent the entire time breaking down the rushes/chances/goals in my mind to determine who I’d highlight and how I’d sell it to the producer.

I did recently break my personal record (and the current replay record for this year) in the Philly game. Dunno if the Canes‘ producer was feeling the Christmas spirit or what, but he used 14 of my packages that game when the previous high was 5. Makes me look real good to my bosses.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Gotcha. I saw the tag and just assumed (incorrectly) but the tracker in the jersey makes sense. I know a few people that work at SMT. Both in the rooster(I think that’s what they call the area you work in) and other areas of the company. Fun to hear your insights and theirs so thanks for sharing.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Just for shits and giggles I watch a few minutes if the Kraken/Oils game.

We got the better crew. Hextall is sooo bad.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
NJ will be a tough challenge. Very similar to Carolina statistically.

GF/GP: 3.33 NJ, 3.08 CAR
GA/GP: 2.56 NJ, 2.50 CAR
xGF/60: 3.21 NJ (1st ranked), 3.08 CAR (2nd ranked)
xGA/60: 2.26 NJ (3rd ranked), 2.13 CAR (1st ranked)
xGF%: 58.72 NJ (2nd ranked), 59.16 CAR (1st ranked)
SF/GP: 34.9 NJ, 34.9 CAR
SA/GP: 26.6 NJ, 26.2 CAR
PP: 19.6% NJ (23rd ranked), 19.2% CAR (25th ranked)
PK: 82.8% NJ (5th ranked), 81.6% CAR (9th ranked)
Points %: .667 NJ (5th ranked), .750 CAR (2nd ranked)
RW: 20 NJ (2nd ranked), 18 CAR (5th ranked)
ROW: 23 NJ (2nd ranked), 22 CAR (3rd ranked)
FOW%: 51.6% NJ (10th ranked), 52.6% CAR (8th ranked)
HITS: 594 NJ (31st ranked), 662 CAR (28th ranked)
PIM/GP: 9:06 NJ (16th ranked), 7:53 CAR (5th ranked)
Minor PEN: 123 NJ, 133 CAR

Granted, Carolina has been playing better than this recently and NJ hasn't been as good recently but those ebbs and flows are expected in a season.

Should be a good challenge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad