Claimed off Waivers: Florida claims Antti Niemi

HockeyTS32

Jun 14, 2011
So I got a question for all the pens fans out there (or any that have watched the games Niemi played in) and please answer honestly....How much of his crappy stats this year has to do with him not being on his game vs his teammates not helping him out?

If I'm not mistaken, every single game he played in this year was on the back end of a back to back. All of which against good teams. People can look at his stats all they want and say his GAA and SV% are awful, which they are, but the fact remains there could be other factors for his abysmal numbers this year. Again, I haven't watched any of the games in which he has started....just trying understand if he's really been terrible or he just hasn't gotten much help in front of him.

For instance, his first game...Pitt only scored 1 goal...I do see from the game report he let in 4 of 13...but how many of those 4 goals were really on him?

Also, the last game he played, Pitt only scored 1 goals..so they didn't really help him out too much offensively. How many of the goals against were really on him vs his teammates not helping him?

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
So I got a question for all the pens fans out there (or any that have watched the games Niemi played in) and please answer honestly....How much of his crappy stats this year has to do with him not being on his game vs his teammates not helping him out?

If I'm not mistaken, every single game he played in this year was on the back end of a back to back. All of which against good teams. People can look at his stats all they want and say his GAA and SV% are awful, which they are, but the fact remains there could be other factors for his abysmal numbers this year. Again, I haven't watched any of the games in which he has started....just trying understand if he's really been terrible or he just hasn't gotten much help in front of him.

For instance, his first game...Pitt only scored 1 goal...I do see from the game report he let in 4 of 13...but how many of those 4 goals were really on him?

Also, the last game he played, Pitt only scored 1 goals..so they didn't really help him out too much offensively. How many of the goals against were really on him vs his teammates not helping him?

It's a good point to bring up. I mentioned earlier about Murray's stats, it's honestly a miracle he has the record he has with those numbers. Not many other teams in the league would be able to pull out wins like they have under those circumstances. He's 5-0-1 while ranking 38th in GAA and 35th in SV%.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Despite the lopsided score, he had some nice stops in his latest game vs Tampa but that was after letting in 4.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
If he gets waived again, the only remaining option is Vegas due to injuries. Then it's off to Europe and retirement after winning some local league.

E:
Subban is in Vegas now...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
How does this guy do it?.....he's been terrible for years now, but somebody always seems willing to roll the dice on him.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Niemi IS an AHL goalie

No he's not. I've seen the Pens start AHL goalies before: John Curry, Brad Thiessen, Rich Parent, Jeff Zatkoff, Dany Sabourin. He's easily worse than all of them.

You could put a chair in the crease and lay a goalie stick across it and get better results. I almost said two chairs but I like giving opposing fans a fair assessment of the players their team has acquired and I didn't want to oversell him.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
It's a good point to bring up. I mentioned earlier about Murray's stats, it's honestly a miracle he has the record he has with those numbers. Not many other teams in the league would be able to pull out wins like they have under those circumstances. He's 5-0-1 while ranking 38th in GAA and 35th in SV%.

Remove the Chicago game when he was thrown in there after 10 minutes to replace Niemi and his stats are pretty good. That one game will scew his stats for a long time.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I'm pretty disappointed. I've never played in net and I'd be a better option than Niemi. Was hoping for my big break

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Praise the lord! We definitely owe Dale a beer.

giphy.gif

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

He did get the tail end of back to backs and they were against good teams but he was also flat-out bad in his starts. It's not like picking him up off of waivers is going to singlehandedly sink the Panthers season or anything but I wouldn't expect to win any games that he starts at this point. Not only is he not playing well, his confidence understandably looks shot.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
If he gets waived again, the only remaining option is Vegas due to injuries. Then it's off to Europe and retirement after winning some local league.

E:
Subban is in Vegas now...
Subban is in Vegas now, but Subban is injured.

They're playing Dansk/Lagace, but McPhee has said they're gonna just roll with that

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00