GDT: Florida @ Caps, 3/7/2013 @ 7:00 PM

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
And being a lefty and given Oates' slavish devotion to defensemen being on their 'correct' side should we even consider Orlov a right defenseman anymore?

I would love to see him get comfortable on the left down in Hershey and eventually replace Schultz/Poti or bump Erskine down.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
I fear for Orlov. Last year Hunter and Johnson got a head start to moving him back to the left.

I think Orlov is playing this weekend with da bears?

Halpysback*

can you imagine if we retained Semin in addition to getting Olesky

Semin Backstrom Brouwer
Alzner Olesky

PP1:

Ovechkin Ribeiro Backstrom
Semin Olesky

PK1:

Beagle Semin
Alzner Olesky

We'd be class of the league

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
And being a lefty and given Oates' slavish devotion to defensemen being on their 'correct' side should we even consider Orlov a right defenseman anymore?
He was moved back to RD in Hershey so...yes. At least for the time being.

As seen with Fehr playing his off-side wing, there are exceptions made when circumstances dictate it and Orlov is clearly more comfortable at this point playing his offside. They will move him over in time, though, I'd think.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

It will be interesting to see. That is, assuming he can even crack our lineup.

I think seeing where he has been in Hershey this year (and next week), may reveal our answer.

Alzner Green
Erskine Carlson
Orlov Kundratek

Lot's of O.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
That is garbage. If the Caps waived Schultz today he definitely gets picked up and goes on to a long NHL career. Like Semin I hope Schultz moves on so we can have wonderful discussions with the peanut gallery around here about how much his new team values him.
Schultz is awful. That's why he's been a healthy scratch 5 times despite issues with Green, Orlov, Poti, and Hamr.

According to Vogel, Orlov is slated to play for Hershey this weekend.
Fantastic news.

can you imagine if we retained Semin in addition to getting Olesky...

We'd be class of the league
puff, puff, pass.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Schultz is awful. That's why he's been a healthy scratch 5 times despite issues with Green, Orlov, Poti, and Hamr.

And Hamrlik was scratched a heck of a lot more than that yet was picked up by a pretty decent team.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
And Hamrlik was scratched a heck of a lot more than that yet was picked up by a pretty decent team.
Sure. Schultz would get picked up. That's why I keep hoping the Caps waive him. And he'll likely be in the league a few more years but he does nothing well or even average. He's a lousy skater, physically very soft, poor passer, has no shot to speak of. Maybe he's a "smart" player, I don't know, whatever. From what I've seen this appears to be his list of skills:

1.) tall

I guess a few people keep hoping he'll turn into Chara. Of course, his level of play is much closer to that of Chara's wife.

When someone like Ole does more in two games than 55 has done, basically, ever, it's a problem. When solid AHL vets are out-playing you, and you make just under $3M, that makes you awful.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Sure. Schultz would get picked up. That's why I keep hoping the Caps waive him. And he'll likely be in the league a few more years but he does nothing well or even average. He's a lousy skater, physically very soft, poor passer, has no shot to speak of. Maybe he's a "smart" player, I don't know, whatever. From what I've seen this appears to be his list of skills:

1.) tall

I guess a few people keep hoping he'll turn into Chara. Of course, his level of play is much closer to that of Chara's wife.

When someone like Ole does more in two games than 55 has done, basically, ever, it's a problem. When solid AHL vets are out-playing you, and you make just under $3M, that makes you awful.

I'm far from a Schultz fan, but let's remember that he's 27, the same age as "most improved Bear this season" Oleksy. If the adage about defensemen maturing later is true, he could have some development left in him (though I personally don't think so).

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

1.) tall

This is hilarious, mostly because it's true.

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
I'm far from a Schultz fan, but let's remember that he's 27, the same age as "most improved Bear this season" Oleksy. If the adage about defensemen maturing later is true, he could have some development left in him (though I personally don't think so).

Uh hes not suddenly going get tough and aggressive. Either u have it or u dont. Roughing is right, the only quality is that he is tall. That is it.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I guess a few people keep hoping he'll turn into Chara.

Which has always been the reason he was hated around here, because so many who knew nothing about his game felt that because he was tall he should play like Chara or something. That was never going to happen so regardless of how he actually played he was hated.

The guy will go over 400 regular season games this year. I have no doubt that when it is all said and done he finishes his career with at least another 400 under his belt. And many around here will still insist he sucked...

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I think a reasonable expectation was that Sarge could be Hal Gill before he got old. But he hasn't been.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I think a reasonable expectation was that Sarge could be Hal Gill before he got old. But he hasn't been.

Except with his bean pole frame Schultz it was always going to be very hard for him to be anywhere close to as strong as Gill. IMO mid 30's Schultz is going to be a much more effective player as he will be much stronger then and able to use his size better. That won't be here though.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If Jeff Schultz is the biggest question mark on your defense, you're in pretty good shape. He's fine as a bottom pairing defender and PKer if he has a partner that he can mesh with. Not a difference maker, but when he has a capable partner, he's usually not a detriment to the team. Does a solid job at keeping the puck out of the net, and doesn't take many penalties. It's when he's asked to cover up for Wideman or play against the other teams' top forwards that things start going wrong.

Unfortunately, this year, he is not the biggest question mark on the defense. Everyone but Alzner is essentially a question mark at this point.

BobbyCarpenter

Jan 22, 2008
Houston, TX
I am just as excited as anyone to have Orlov back in the lineup, but with half the season gone, and the team fighting for a playoff spot, can the Caps afford to ease him back into the lineup?

The two new guys are playing well right now. Not so sure I'm willing to replace one of them with a guy who's been out all season with an injury.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I am just as excited as anyone to have Orlov back in the lineup, but with half the season gone, and the team fighting for a playoff spot, can the Caps afford to ease him back into the lineup?

Yes. Only because they absolutely CANNOT afford for him to suffer a serious setback.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad