OT: Floor/Ball Hockey in Toronto

The Lollipop King

4th Line = all heart
Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I've played a few years in the YCBHL and its ok for the most part, but the reffing can get really bad at times. Some refs clearly favour other teams and in fact some refs even play with guys on other teams. If you say anything to the refs they will just kick you out and you have to pay a $10 fine. Some of the **** I've seen them call or not call is ridiculous. That is how games get out of hand and how serious injuries happen.
A lot of people think they are going to make it to the NHL through ball hockey and will play dirty to win.

JuhaMikkola

Mar 19, 2013
Floorball

You could try Floorball. It's not exactly like ball or floor hockey but it's pretty similar. Most of our players also play ice, floor or ball hockey so the transition is a relatively easy one to make. We have a Sunday night league downtown at Ryerson's Kerr Hall and a new spring season is starting in a couple of weeks. Check out www.playfloorball.com for details.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I've played a few years in the YCBHL and its ok for the most part, but the reffing can get really bad at times. Some refs clearly favour other teams and in fact some refs even play with guys on other teams. If you say anything to the refs they will just kick you out and you have to pay a $10 fine. Some of the **** I've seen them call or not call is ridiculous. That is how games get out of hand and how serious injuries happen.
A lot of people think they are going to make it to the NHL through ball hockey and will play dirty to win.

I completely agree. Some of the worst reffing i have seen and they favour players ALL the time.

The league is well run but it does have its issues. Most of the time it is good; but like any business they try to make a buck at ALL costs and even if it does come at the cost of your safety.

That being said it is probably the biggest league that varies in skill. I have been playing in it since 2007 and currently play. Its a good place to get your feet wet.

spor 13

Apr 29, 2009
I played in both York inline and MHRA. The leagues were both poorly run as the convenors played on teams that were in the league and roller hockey has zero etiquette. If you play ice hockey you will loathe playing in either league. After getting hosed in both leagues we stuck to just playing ice because of how far superior Canlan icesports run their leagues

I'll agree York Inline is pretty badly run. It used to be run pretty good when it was 2 brothers (this is over 10 years ago probably), then they sold and from then on it's been a steady downhill. The refs are usually pretty bad, but not the worst I've seen. They just want to keep the game moving alot. I've only played in MRHA for 1 season, but my friends have been playing for a few seasons now at the Hershey Centre and it does look like a much better run league than York Inline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad