• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah best prospect in hockey was always a stretch to me and his play style will never have him in that imo, but do you still think Drysdale is miles ahead and selecting Sanderson at 5 was a blunder?

I still think Drysdale has had a better career starting from D-1 as a prospect but I think Sanderson and him can be very comparable to the point where we’re not scratching our heads at passing on him.
Yes, comparable. I still think Drysdale has that game breaking talent that Sanderson does not.

I still see it as Sanderson, Schneider, Guhle and Barron. Barron is lagging behind, but for the other two, can you justify the 15+ spots you guys took him in?

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Yes, comparable. I still think Drysdale has that game breaking talent that Sanderson does not.

I still see it as Sanderson, Schneider, Guhle and Barron. Barron is lagging behind, but for the other two, can you justify the 15+ spots you guys took him in?
As opposed to what? We can only take what we are given.

You can say the same thing about ANY of those players.

Can you justify taking Drysdale 15 spots ahead of Guhle.

Can you justify taking Holtz 15 spots ahead of Mercer?

Everyone in that selection spot has a comparable in the 10-15s.

The argument just doesn’t make sense. The only thing that matters is that we wanted a defensemen after the first four players were gone in 2020, and at this point we can justify taking Sanderson 1 spot over Drysdale.

And for what it’s worth, I have Schneider or Guhle being the best defensemen of this draft. It doesn’t mean that when it’s all said and done Sanderson was a bad pick at 5.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I think people need to start coming around to the idea that Jake is the best defenseman in this draft.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Well to be fair you guys have had jackshit for defensemen in the past 20 years. Chabot is the 2nd best D your franchise has seen since the first lockout? Maybe Redden?

He looked good, but again... doesnt look like the best prospect in hockey good.

GettyImages-146603605.0.jpg

478350908.jpg

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Jake Sanderson definitely has game breaking talent, he’s been flashing it every game. It just takes a viewing or two to see it.

I’m not convinced he’ll ever develop into a goal scoring threat but his playmaking, vision and skating are all very good.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
There was 3 or 4 hfboards members that kept doubling down on the fact that Sanderson rose on the draft for no reason

I already know who one was but his takes on defense in the NCAA have been wrong all the time.

They they tried to double down in freshman season
Then his sophmore season that this guy was nothing.

Reactions: Xspyrit and Korpse

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Karlsson is somewhere in my post and I think you missed him

Yeah where you said he was better than Redden and Chabot, right after you said the Sens had developed jackshit.

I do agree developing D hasn’t been a strength but when you have a HoF’er / the best D of his generation that doesn’t qualify as jackshit.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I see him worst case being a bottom pairing guy, and best case being a good top pairing guy, but never best in the league. Ottawa has Chabot to potentially be that though so it's not like they need him to be that.

I thought it was universally understood that his ceiling is even higher than chabots. I mean, there's a reason one was a top 5 pick and the other was a mid first round pick.

So far this season...only 5 games, but he looks better than chabot so far this season and already has more points.

I always saw Chabot as a #20-30 D and I see Sanderson as more of a #10-20 D.

Going into next season, I am expecting Sanderson to be #1 D in Ottawa, Chabot #2, Zub #3 and so on.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
There was 3 or 4 hfboards members that kept doubling down on the fact that Sanderson rose on the draft for no reason

I already know who one was but his takes on defense in the NCAA have been wrong all the time.

They they tried to double down in freshman season
Then his sophmore season that this guy was nothing.

It still blows my mind that there was a contingent that so strongly believe his offensive upside was limited.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don’t remember the last rookie defensemen to have the rare combination of both elite gap control and insane creativity while dancing on the blue line.

He looks great everywhere. You watch him in the o-zone and think there’s no way his defense can be that good, you watch him control gaps and defend and think his offense should be limited. That isn’t the case with Sandy I think.
He's very, very good but you do know that Makar, Fox and Seider have also been rookie defensemen recently?

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
He's very, very good but you do know that Makar, Fox and Seider have also been rookie defensemen recently?

Yeah, super hyperbole got ahead of myself there. I see him as Seider with less production and less physicality/mean streak.

FrankSidebottom

Mar 16, 2021
His absolute ceiling is Pietrangelo and his safe floor is poor man‘s Pietrangelo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad