Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Interested in the general consensus on Jake sandersons floor and ceiling as he is a prospect ranked generally everywhere and the most polarizing pick of the draft.

Respectfully. If you only know Jake Sanderson out of mock drats and 1 or 2 youtube highlight videos or if you havent been watching hockey for more than 3 years refrain from voting, looking for voters who have regularly seen players drafted and excelled which takes years of experience as a fan to evaluate.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I see him worst case being a bottom pairing guy, and best case being a good top pairing guy, but never best in the league. Ottawa has Chabot to potentially be that though so it's not like they need him to be that.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
Interested in the general consensus on Jake sandersons floor and ceiling as he is a prospect ranked generally everywhere and the most polarizing pick of the draft.

Respectfully. If you only know Jake Sanderson out of mock drats and 1 or 2 youtube highlight videos or if you havent been watching hockey for more than 3 years refrain from voting, looking for voters who have regularly seen players drafted and excelled which takes years of experience as a fan to evaluate.

Lol good luck with this part.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Floor is obviously bust. There are very few prospects who are guaranteed to be NHLers and Sanderson isn’t one of them.

I’d say his ceiling is a top pair guy, maybe a #1 but not a Norris candidate caliber guy.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I see him becoming a poor man's Suter. An adequate #2. Does that mean his ceiling is a #1? I don't know. Voted #1/#2 ceiling, #3/#4 floor.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The tougher one to pick for me was his floor. I was leaning toward the #3/4 option, but honestly it's probably closer to being a #5 if he doesn't continue to develop like he should (look at a lot of the former high pick defensemen who didn't reach their potential).

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Floor bust obviously, ceiling top pair/elite.

sure anything is possible but its extremely unlikely that he won't become at least a solid 3-4 guy and I think his ceiling is as a 1-2 guy maybe top 30 Dmen for a 5-7 year stretch.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I didnt believe he would go top 5. I dont see huge offensive potential. Hes very good defensively tho. and smart so you never know how good he can be offensively.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
floor would be just not panning out but being a 5/6 like a gudbransson/bogo/schenn

I think he has #2D ceiling though. Top pair with chabot for many years.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
What I don't understand is what "bust" means here. What do you consider a bust? And why do you not consider an AHL/NHL tweener for a #5 overall a bust? And if you do, why have both categories up there?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
What I don't understand is what "bust" means here. What do you consider a bust? And why do you not consider an AHL/NHL tweener for a #5 overall a bust? And if you do, why have both categories up there?

Bust is the player doesn't get any consistent NHL time.
AHL / NHL tweener the guy can play in the NHL but not on a regular basis which is a bust for 5th overall but not in this poll.

Also I get the anyone can bust argument when your speaking about prospects in general historically Lafrienere can bust as first overall picks have in the past, but they are not the norms. There are players you can look at in past drafts that you can say are not busts but will for sure be a 3rd line guy at the least, thats you putting a higher floor on someone than busting.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
NHL Ceiling - McAvoy/McDonagh

NHL Floor - Muzzin/Dumba

Is how I view it as long as he doesn't wash out horrendously. Reasonably safe bet to become at least an impact top 4 defenseman. I know most liked Drysdale better but I wasn't one of them.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Floor bust obviously, ceiling top pair/elite.

The only way he busts is through injury or some sort of criminal or drug issue. He is a great skater and has elite defensive skills, so that means at least a low tier NHLer. Just my 2 cents of course.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
What’s the verdict so far after his first few games?

@Mrb1p has your opinion on the Sanderson selection changed at all after viewing him now compared to his draft year?

• Haha
Reactions: Xspyrit

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
What’s the verdict so far after his first few games?

@Mrb1p has your opinion on the Sanderson selection changed at all after viewing him now compared to his draft year?
The most common floor vote was 5/6 d-man, from his 1st game, he's the Sens #3, so very high floor. Both the eye test, and advanced stats show Sanderson is already very very good. Since he looks so good right away, I'm revising my ceiling to Franchise D. I expect him to surpass Chabot next season. He's got it all: high IQ, calm and patient, sees the ice well, great skater, does all the small things well. Definitely the all-time best Sens rookie D as far as how he looks right out of the gate. Karlsson had some struggles 1st year, him and Chabot were both sent to the AHL for a few weeks. Redden was solid right away, but not this good. Meszaros was good right away, but a lot of that was sheltered minutes and being on a great team.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
The most common floor vote was 5/6 d-man, from his 1st game, he's the Sens #3, so very high floor. Both the eye test, and advanced stats show Sanderson is already very very good. Since he looks so good right away, I'm revising my ceiling to Franchise D. I expect him to surpass Chabot next season. He's got it all: high IQ, calm and patient, sees the ice well, great skater, does all the small things well. Definitely the all-time best Sens rookie D as far as how he looks right out of the gate. Karlsson had some struggles 1st year, him and Chabot were both sent to the AHL for a few weeks. Redden was solid right away, but not this good. Meszaros was good right away, but a lot of that was sheltered minutes and being on a great team.

I don’t remember the last rookie defensemen to have the rare combination of both elite gap control and insane creativity while dancing on the blue line.

He looks great everywhere. You watch him in the o-zone and think there’s no way his defense can be that good, you watch him control gaps and defend and think his offense should be limited. That isn’t the case with Sandy I think.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don’t remember the last rookie defensemen to have the rare combination of both elite gap control and insane creativity while dancing on the blue line.

He looks great everywhere. You watch him in the o-zone and think there’s no way his defense can be that good, you watch him control gaps and defend and think his offense should be limited. That isn’t the case with Sandy I think.
Well to be fair you guys have had jackshit for defensemen in the past 20 years. Chabot is the 2nd best D your franchise has seen since the first lockout? Maybe Redden?

He looked good, but again... doesnt look like the best prospect in hockey good.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Well to be fair you guys have had jackshit for defensemen in the past 20 years. Chabot is the 2nd best D your franchise has seen since the first lockout? Maybe Redden?

He looked good, but again... doesnt look like the best prospect in hockey good.

Yeah best prospect in hockey was always a stretch to me and his play style will never have him in that imo, but do you still think Drysdale is miles ahead and selecting Sanderson at 5 was a blunder?

I still think Drysdale has had a better career starting from D-1 as a prospect but I think Sanderson and him can be very comparable to the point where we’re not scratching our heads at passing on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad