Flint naming team Monday AM

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Looks pretty sharp, and i think the logo will grow on people... but colour scheme looks great and the jersey looks great.

First impressions...color scheme: awesome. Logo: Not too bad, but it will take time to grow on people. Personally, I would have the head moving forward instead of looking over its shoulder. Jerseys are OK; again it'll take some time to get traction.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I like the colours, but the logo doesn't do much for me. It took me a while to find the birds head, which felt weird. I hope they can create a nice pre-game show, though, with the Firebird and a light show. It has the potential to be one of the best in the league if done right.

OlZamMan

Apr 10, 2012
I congratulate them on coming up with a new name & colour.
They could've kept the old to save $, as Niagara did. I never understood the Ice Dogs connection after Don Cherry sold. They had an opportunity to do something in Niagara even if it was after the first season since it was a short-notice move.
Similar with North Bay, although I do recognize that there is a military history up there.

By the way, what was the origin of the Whalers name in Plymouth?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Peter Karmanos bought the Hartford Whalers in the mid-90s before moving them to Carolina. He also owns/owned the Plymouth Whalers, which I'm guessing is named after the old Hartford franchise.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
those jerseys are atrocious, yikes

No offense, but Erie would know. Firebirds was not my first choice but I am fine with it. I am also fine with the several logo/jersey schemes, but particularly like the "F" logo and the Flint Vehicle City Firebirds logo's.

Last edited:
those jerseys are atrocious, yikes

Any fan of a team that wore these..really shouldn't talk:laugh:

sZdQwis.jpg

better than this abomination I once endured

240.jpg

takimaki

Apr 14, 2010
Tim Hortons
Hmm. The name is cool....and I like the colors, mostly.

But the logo? It doesn't seem like OHL quality. It looks like it was done by some semi-talented part-time graphic designer.

At least it's better than the Sudbury Wolves. Ugh. This thing was made in Microsoft Paint in 1995:

Sudburywolves.png

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I like the colors but the logo is hideous and the name is meh.

It also doesn't take a marketing genius to realize that Tropics was the best choice. I can understand that you want people to take the team seriously but really you shouldn't move a team to Flint if you want it to be taken seriously. I think the Tropics name would bring in a ton of people who aren't really hockey fans and the merchandise sales would be unreal. I know of multiple people who said they would buy a tropics jersey just to have one if that was what the team name was, and some of those people were out of state. I mean it's going to be hard to try to get people to Flint for a junior hockey game, as gimmicky as it is, I think the Tropics name would have helped that.

I dare you to take an IQ test. You don't have to post the results. I just want you to see. I dare you. I bet you won't do it. Just get online real quick and Google IQ test.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
You can still have a Tropics night where you go out and do everything Tropics for one night. You design a 3rd jersey with the Tropics identity, sell Tropics jerseys and other gear, but you don't make your team the laughing stock of hockey and alienate the fans that are going to attend your games. It'll still get decent headlines when they announce the game.

The majority I've seen think positively so far on the name and the logo, the jerseys everyone seems iffy on, but who knows exactly how they'll look, plenty of time to tweak them. It would seem they're decently smart with their marketing at this point.

I swear if everyone who loves the Tropic name would have went and seen Semi-Pro, the movie may have actually made a profit.
Oh, you nailed it all by yourself. Thanks.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I like the colours, but the logo doesn't do much for me. It took me a while to find the birds head, which felt weird. I hope they can create a nice pre-game show, though, with the Firebird and a light show. It has the potential to be one of the best in the league if done right.

"It took me a long time to find the birds head which felt weird." It should. You are the first person to have every said that. It's a mediocre design. We can always change that. I don't much care for it either but I'm down and hopefully they can change it up later. It's not like all of the OHL is rocking killer gear.

NaughtyDog

Aug 4, 2010
I congratulate them on coming up with a new name & colour.
They could've kept the old to save $, as Niagara did. I never understood the Ice Dogs connection after Don Cherry sold. They had an opportunity to do something in Niagara even if it was after the first season since it was a short-notice move.

From what I remember, most thought it was because the team still wanted to attract former Mississauga IceDogs fans to St. Catharines. Sounds kind of stupid considering Mississauga is an hour away, but an IceDogs rival in St. Michael's was moving into the Hershey centre and they knew that alot of fans wouldnt/couldnt just become a fan of a former rival.

And if you go to games in St. Catharines, you'll see that there is still the odd Mississauga IceDogs jersey around.

Sadist

Feb 4, 2008
Detroit
I think the logo is alright, although the head of the bird does look a bit strange. Would have liked it more if it was centered. Color scheme is fine too and it's good they chose one that wasn't similar to anyone else. Don't really care for the jerseys. Not a big fan of all the piping and multicolor swatches. I tend to like more traditional looking striping. That's why I never really liked the Whalers blue jersey when they went to the Edge style.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Some of these Tropic fans are proving that people from outside of Flint and Genesee County liked that name, while a vast majority of. Flint area residents and Flint Hockey fans could not stand it. Firebirds President Costa Papista confirmed this in today's Flint Journal. I am ecstatic that Flint residents and hockey fans got to select our identity, which had local meaning. Good luck to the Flint Firebirds!

Some of these Tropic fans are proving that people from outside of Flint and Genesee County liked that name, while a vast majority of. Flint area residents and Flint Hockey fans could not stand it. Firebirds President Costa Papista confirmed this in today's Flint Journal. I am ecstatic that Flint residents and hockey fans got to select our identity, which had local meaning. Good luck to the Flint Firebirds!

Flint Tropics was only a reality for those who have their heads firmly planted in their ass. Sorry to be blunt..but it was a stupid name and stupid marketing scheme that the new owners called the bluff on. Good on them for realizing it was a gimmick destined to fail miserably. The team in Flint wants an identity..not a gimmick. I wish them and their fans all the best. Support them...make it work.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
No offense, but Erie would know. Firebirds was not my first choice but I am fine with it. I am also fine with the several logo/jersey schemes, but particularly like the "F" logo and the Flint Vehicle City Firebirds logo's.

That's what I thought. Our gear isn't great but c'mon. Erie may have the worst kit in the league. Otters?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Flint Tropics was only a reality for those who have their heads firmly planted in their ass. Sorry to be blunt..but it was a stupid name and stupid marketing scheme that the new owners called the bluff on. Good on them for realizing it was a gimmick destined to fail miserably. The team in Flint wants an identity..not a gimmick. I wish them and their fans all the best. Support them...make it work.

Thanks man. You're completely correct AND have the best location line here. I might steal that and list my seat as my location too. That's slick.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON

I'm on the Tropics bandwagon but I believe that players would be as hesitant to come play for the Tropics as they would be to go play for Sudbury under the Burgess regime.

I never really believed the team would ever be called Tropics, thought it was more of a comical concept than actual reality (can blame Hollywood), and as others have pointed out, even IF the name was welcomed with open arms it wouldn't have lost lasting appeal...

Personally I like the new logo, colour scheme and the jerseys also, I'm just not sure how 'Firebird/Phoenix' and the blue and orange colour scheme match up

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad