Flint naming team Monday AM

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint's OHL ownership has moved up the naming announcement to Monday Morning 10am along with team colors and logo. I am betting on the Flint Firebirds.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Finally. Even if it is just to confirm you're right about the name. They better have a mock up jersey to show me. One with no flames at the bottom or collar or any of that other non sense. I'm all in regardless, and Firebirds is completely fine. Actually it's probably like top 3-5 percentile. Watched the Sherbrooke Phoenix play on NHL network today (sorry Canadians. I no longer get CBC or TSN I'm stuck watching remedial hockey coverage usually) and it is gonna be hard to top their uni's. I prefer a touch more old school classic.......but that Sherbrooke kit is niiiiice. I like Firebirds a touch more than Phoenix though.

AnotherDimwit

Sep 13, 2007
Grand Blanc, MI
I really like it. Pretty happy.

I'd really like the F with wings as a shoulder patch.

image.php

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I like the name and the colour scheme and jersey overall is sharp.

Glad they're not going with Tropics though it can be useful for themed nights.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

I like the name. Logo is ok. Jerseys look like they'll be decent.

Yeah a theme night isn't bad for those that wanted Tropics. Gears vs Tropics home and home once a year? Can we handle that much neon?

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014

Looks pretty sharp, and i think the logo will grow on people... but colour scheme looks great and the jersey looks great.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Always a fan of orange and blue teams, as my avatar can probably attest to, and the logo's okay. Not a fan of the unnecessary piping, though. The gray section of the jersey is giving me a bad vibe about the Sabres thirds, though...

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010
The Jersey's kind of remind of the New York Islanders from Taveres' rookie season. Don't mind the decision to go with Firebirds, although the logo seems a little busy.

Overall pretty good look for the new team!

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
I like the colors but the logo is hideous and the name is meh.

It also doesn't take a marketing genius to realize that Tropics was the best choice. I can understand that you want people to take the team seriously but really you shouldn't move a team to Flint if you want it to be taken seriously. I think the Tropics name would bring in a ton of people who aren't really hockey fans and the merchandise sales would be unreal. I know of multiple people who said they would buy a tropics jersey just to have one if that was what the team name was, and some of those people were out of state. I mean it's going to be hard to try to get people to Flint for a junior hockey game, as gimmicky as it is, I think the Tropics name would have helped that.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON

It also doesn't take a marketing genius to realize that Tropics was the best choice. I can understand that you want people to take the team seriously but really you shouldn't move a team to Flint if you want it to be taken seriously. I think the Tropics name would bring in a ton of people who aren't really hockey fans and the merchandise sales would be unreal. I know of multiple people who said they would buy a tropics jersey just to have one if that was what the team name was, and some of those people were out of state. I mean it's going to be hard to try to get people to Flint for a junior hockey game, as gimmicky as it is, I think the Tropics name would have helped that.

I would have bought one, and still will if they make a third jersey with the Tropics name

AnotherDimwit

Sep 13, 2007
Grand Blanc, MI

You can still have a Tropics night where you go out and do everything Tropics for one night. You design a 3rd jersey with the Tropics identity, sell Tropics jerseys and other gear, but you don't make your team the laughing stock of hockey and alienate the fans that are going to attend your games. It'll still get decent headlines when they announce the game.

The majority I've seen think positively so far on the name and the logo, the jerseys everyone seems iffy on, but who knows exactly how they'll look, plenty of time to tweak them. It would seem they're decently smart with their marketing at this point.

I swear if everyone who loves the Tropic name would have went and seen Semi-Pro, the movie may have actually made a profit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad