Flint naming team Monday AM

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Peter Karmanos bought the Hartford Whalers in the mid-90s before moving them to Carolina. He also owns/owned the Plymouth Whalers, which I'm guessing is named after the old Hartford franchise.

Just to expand on this for history's sake, the team was known as the Detroit Junior Red Wings (and before that the Detroit Compuware Ambassadors) until Karmanos purchased the Hartford Whalers. At that point, since he was now an NHL rival of the Illitch family and the Detroit Red Wings, the team name was changed to the Detroit Whalers. They finally became Plymouth Whalers after relocating from downtown Detroit to Compuware Arena in 1998.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
On WDIV local 4, they showed the new name and logo of the Flint Firebirds.

I didnt think it looked to bad.I really think though that the move to Flint and Hamilton are just bandaids.Its not over for these two franchises.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
On WDIV local 4, they showed the new name and logo of the Flint Firebirds.

I didnt think it looked to bad.I really think though that the move to Flint and Hamilton are just bandaids.Its not over for these two franchises.

Could be, but who knows. When a OHL franchise for 40 years can be pulled-out from under you just like that, anything is possible. However, for the new franchises in Flint and Hamilton, let's hope you are wrong (very wrong) and that people already buying season tickets and ads, who are getting extremely excited, have their teams for many, many years to come.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint Tropics was only a reality for those who have their heads firmly planted in their ass. Sorry to be blunt..but it was a stupid name and stupid marketing scheme that the new owners called the bluff on. Good on them for realizing it was a gimmick destined to fail miserably. The team in Flint wants an identity..not a gimmick. I wish them and their fans all the best. Support them...make it work.

For what it is worth, I still like your logo better.

Magine

Mar 9, 2015
London Ontario
I like the logo, but am not a fan of the colours. I like what Toronto has done with their sports teams and many of them incorporate the blue/white colour scheme. Its the cities colours. Go with that and pick a team close by that has the same colours and start to brand it as the areas colours. Red and White or Blue and Yellow would work.

I do not like orange on jerseys.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I like the logo, but am not a fan of the colours. I like what Toronto has done with their sports teams and many of them incorporate the blue/white colour scheme. Its the cities colours. Go with that and pick a team close by that has the same colours and start to brand it as the areas colours. Red and White or Blue and Yellow would work.

I do not like orange on jerseys.

Red and white is more of a Detroit or a SSM thing so don't really see the connection in Flint.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Red and white is more of a Detroit or a SSM thing so don't really see the connection in Flint.

Except for the fact that Flint is a HUGE Detroit Red Wings town (Only 60 miles north of Detroit). Having said that, I am okay with Firebirds and the colors.

Magine

Mar 9, 2015
London Ontario

Start branding the colour as "Michigans" hockey color or something. Just all how you market it.

I really do not like orange in jerseys. My absolute hatred towards the Broncos for 20yrs may have something to do with that, but whatever.

GFHL

Feb 25, 2015
FLINTown
Go Birds

There is plenty of money in Genesee county to support this team, it's not going anywhere. Perani(the bird's nest) is a great place to watch hockey and the Orange looks great.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
there are really only two comparables for the Tropics thing... one is the Mighty Ducks, who were owned by the people who made the movie and subsequently dropped the association, and the Albuquerque Isotopes, who at least play the same sport and are located in a city where the name makes sense. Also, one was a reference to a massive box office hit and the other was a reference to one of the most beloved TV series of all time.

Semi-Pro was a box office disaster about a different sport that has no connection to anyone in Flint. Maybe if Will Ferrell was a minority owner of the team I'd say "hey cool", but he isn't. And everyone who wanted it would forget about how funny they found it within two weeks and then it would just be a stupid artifact name.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
firebirds-640x360.jpg

Was trying to think of what this reminded me of for the longest time and then I was watching the AHL...

images

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad