Flint Firebirds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Sutherland looked solid, very athletic and fluid in net, excited to see what he turns into. Made a few big saves, bailed the D out a couple times, but they left him hanging a bunch.

Strohack definitely got the best of whoever he was fighting, the other fight was a pretty even tilt between Smith and Moses.

Aspinal looked better, skating much improved.

Good to see Slavicek score again, hopefully he's building that confidence, put up some good numbers during the preseason.

So is fighting an automatic game misconduct now? Or is that a preseason thing?

Reactions: Savard18

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Sutherland looked solid, very athletic and fluid in net, excited to see what he turns into. Made a few big saves, bailed the D out a couple times, but they left him hanging a bunch.

Strohack definitely got the best of whoever he was fighting, the other fight was a pretty even tilt between Smith and Moses.

Good to see Slavicek score again, hopefully he's building that confidence, put up some good numbers during the preseason.

Preseason thing

Reactions: MJ5

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

Sutherland was impressive. Kid is huuuuuge lol. Not sure his first name, but Andersen was pretty impressive too. GL this yr.

Goldilocks

Sep 22, 2023
Even though the stats don't show it, I thought Sutherland was pretty impressive. If he is our #3 goalie, I think that's a really good sign.

For Potter, as someone who wants to see all the teams/programs in the state do well, I'm happy for MSU, but I think it's absurd they still aren't allowed to play in both. The NCAA obviously can't argue amateur status anymore when they players are going to get paid more there than in the OHL/CHL. Why not have have a deal where they can play in Jrs until they're 18 and ready for college? You could make that the point where they have to decide what to do, or just have them re-up on a yearly basis. It might make roster building more volatile, but it gives the player more options and the opportunity to receive the best experience. The current system does not.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Even though the stats don't show it, I thought Sutherland was pretty impressive. If he is our #3 goalie, I think that's a really good sign.

For Potter, as someone who wants to see all the teams/programs in the state do well, I'm happy for MSU, but I think it's absurd they still aren't allowed to play in both. The NCAA obviously can't argue amateur status anymore when they players are going to get paid more there than in the OHL/CHL. Why not have have a deal where they can play in Jrs until they're 18 and ready for college? You could make that the point where they have to decide what to do, or just have them re-up on a yearly basis. It might make roster building more volatile, but it gives the player more options and the opportunity to receive the best experience. The current system does not.
Agree with you on Sutherland.

And this was a topic of discussion with some people at a tailgate last weekend on hockey. The only thing could come up with is you would have kids just flipping from program to program. Not enough ice time in the NCAA, just flip to a CHL team or vice versa. We thought it almost had to be treated some what like a transfer rule, if you flip from one to the other, you are done in whatever league you left. Wonder if it will change soon.

Reactions: Goldilocks

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

Got a friend I reached out too, he works on the east coast is an advisor for some kids, pretty in tune with the junior hockey scene. He said he knew Tuesday about the Potter news. Asked him about the CHL/NCAA thing. He said it's the Hockey rules committee (headed by some coaches) that's holding anything back. He said there is a little bit of traction on some rule changes between the 2, but he doesn't think its going to change any time soon. Not enough widespread interest to make something happen, but its at least being discussed.

Reactions: Goldilocks

Goldilocks

Sep 22, 2023
That's kinda disappointing but understandable. There are definitely ways to make it work, hopefully they'll figure it out one day.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
SmartSelect_20230924_185411_Instagram.jpg

BIG news eh?

We naming a captain?
One of the OAs returning?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Got a friend I reached out too, he works on the east coast is an advisor for some kids, pretty in tune with the junior hockey scene. He said he knew Tuesday about the Potter news. Asked him about the CHL/NCAA thing. He said it's the Hockey rules committee (headed by some coaches) that's holding anything back. He said there is a little bit of traction on some rule changes between the 2, but he doesn't think its going to change any time soon. Not enough widespread interest to make something happen, but its at least being discussed.
If OHL/CHL players were allowed to play US College hockey after playing Major Junior Hockey there would have to be rule in place they were only eligible after their 19 year old season was completed. The last thing the OHL/CHL would want is to have 18 or 19 year old players leaving to play US College before their regular eligibility was over.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
If OHL/CHL players were allowed to play US College hockey after playing Major Junior Hockey there would have to be rule in place they were only eligible after their 19 year old season was completed. The last thing the OHL/CHL would want is to have 18 or 19 year old players leaving to play US College before their regular eligibility was over.
Very well could have some kind of rule like that.

Just makes sense tho since NCAA players can earn NIL money now. It will probably be years before there is a change. He just said he knew there were little talks about it, and its not an NCAA issue, its the rules committee.

Goldilocks

Sep 22, 2023
Giroux.

Long tenured overager, who was already performing much of the role unofficially last season. Every time a there was a review or meeting with the refs it was him or Riley that represented Flint. He's exactly the type of leader, hard worker that you want representing the team as captain. I would honestly be disappointed if it isn't him.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Giroux.

Long tenured overager, who was already performing much of the role unofficially last season. Every time a there was a review or meeting with the refs it was him or Riley that represented Flint. He's exactly the type of leader, hard worker that you want representing the team as captain. I would honestly be disappointed if it isn't him.
Giroux would make a lot of sense.

Hayes would be nice to give a Michigan kid the C, but not sure he makes it the whole season.

Bertucci would be my other guess, someone who could wear it for more than a season.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
CHL really doesn’t have a say in that. If the NCAA decides to allow kids to play after the CHL I don’t see how they can stop exactly that from happening. NCAA and USHL have massively upped their game across the board. It’s up to the CHL and individual franchises to do the same and prove they’re the better developmental route.

Giroux would make a lot of sense.

Hayes would be nice to give a Michigan kid the C, but not sure he makes it the whole season.

Bertucci would be my other guess, someone who could wear it for more than a season.
Hard to argue against Giroux. I don’t know if Hayes is a C type of guy. I think it’ll be Bertucci or Hay next year.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
CHL really doesn’t have a say in that. If the NCAA decides to allow kids to play after the CHL I don’t see how they can stop exactly that from happening. NCAA and USHL have massively upped their game across the board. It’s up to the CHL and individual franchises to do the same and prove they’re the better developmental route.

Hard to argue against Giroux. I don’t know if Hayes is a C type of guy. I think it’ll be Bertucci or Hay next year.
The CHL could have some say if they require their signed players to honour their OHL Player contracts. I know that was discussed when the KHL started and they were drafting players from the OHL in their draft because when Zack Kassian was drafted into their league Jeff Twohey made it very clear he would be holding him to his player contract with the Petes.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Giroux.

Good call.

And congrats to Giroux!

Looking forward to this weekend.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Really? Where'd you see that?
It kind of came out at the ticket pickup event yesterday when some of the people there asked where they were. The team was there but they weren't. I didn't personally hear it because I left right after Giroux was announced as captain. I'm told it was pretty awkward for Dent to have to tell everyone they were released. Clearly hadn't planned on it coming up.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
It kind of came out at the ticket pickup event yesterday when some of the people there asked where they were. The team was there but they weren't. I didn't personally hear it because I left right after Giroux was announced as captain. I'm told it was pretty awkward for Dent to have to tell everyone they were released. Clearly hadn't planned on it coming up.
Interesting.

Had high hopes for Pitters after he had 4 assist in 9 games 2 years ago. Played more a checking line role last year and a whole 6 points in 55 games. Really thought he would turn into something decent.

Bradshaw was a big body that played like he was 5'8".

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
That sucks. I can’t see them having 12 forwards better than Pitters. Bradshaw’s size is nice to have and Hell, Dent played him a ton last year ahead of other kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad