Flint Firebirds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Hey Flint fans. Any idea how you guys may end up this season? Not sure if you guys are going for it, retooling or rebuilding

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Hey Flint fans. Any idea how you guys may end up this season? Not sure if you guys are going for it, retooling or rebuilding
I think they are a bottom seed playoff team. 6-7-8 seed, got some talent, but a bit on the younger side. Could change if they get a big OA or 2 back. I think it all depends on the growth of Day in net.

I think next year has the makings to be a go for it year.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I think they are a bottom seed playoff team. 6-7-8 seed, got some talent, but a bit on the younger side. Could change if they get a big OA or 2 back. I think it all depends on the growth of Day in net.

Yup. Let’s hope they move a player or two at the deadline to add a couple picks and maybe a young player.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Yup. Let’s hope they move a player or two at the deadline to add a couple picks and maybe a young player.
Hayes would be an obvious candidate to move and help someone and help fill the cupboard of picks. C. Pitre as well, but not sure that would happen with Kaden on the roster.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

Interesting to see u say next year. Just glancing at your roster I'm not sure I see that, especially up front. Gonna lose Giroux, Dann, both imports, Hayes & probably move Bradshaw as 4th OA unless he surpasses Smith/Stojkov.

Day could be really solid-good. D looks alright, but I don't know some of them as well as u guys would, obviously.

But I guess there's a chance u do well in import draft & upgrade both. Be big. Have some ammo from last yr that could help. Still baffled how your GM managed last yr.

What players are you guys hoping to be the "core" next season? Genuinely curious. As I said u guys know your players more than I do. Conference could be open for u if ur right as currently SAR/KIT/WSR are beginning rebuild & LDN/SAG/OS go for it & SSM/GUE could too.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Interesting to see u say next year. Just glancing at your roster I'm not sure I see that, especially up front. Gonna lose Giroux, Dann, both imports, Hayes & probably move Bradshaw as 4th OA unless he surpasses Smith/Stojkov.

Day could be really solid-good. D looks alright, but I don't know some of them as well as u guys would, obviously.

But I guess there's a chance u do well in import draft & upgrade both. Be big. Have some ammo from last yr that could help. Still baffled how your GM managed last yr.

What players are you guys hoping to be the "core" next season? Genuinely curious. As I said u guys know your players more than I do. Conference could be open for u if ur right as currently SAR/KIT/WSR are beginning rebuild & LDN/SAG/OS go for it & SSM/GUE could too.
There is an outside shot that they get back an OA like Kressler or Guryev and my tune could change a bit, but right now I think the 05's are stronger group than the 04's, Hayes is gone after this year, trade him at the deadline to a big time contender for a package. I think he will be one of the more coveted guys possibly available at the deadline. C. Pitre hasn't been signed yet, but I think he's primed for a big year and he ends up signed and gone, but if he comes back, the OA's of Pitre, Smith and Stokjov would be a very solid group.

04's
C. Pitre
Hayes
Smith (Possible OA)
Stokjov (Possible OA)
Bradshaw, unless he takes some big steps, I don't see how he's on the roster next year.

05's
Bertucci
Day
Hay
Wang
Pitters
Klinkhammer
Jenken

This year, I do love Giroux, but he's not a premier 1st line guy as an OA. If he's a PPG player, that would be huge. If Giroux puts up numbers like Maggio, Vierling, or Morrison last year, its a different story.
I hope Dann develops into something, and gets some confidence back, but he's not a PPG player, I hope he's earning top 6 minutes.
Slavicek shows some great skill for 5-6 games in a row, and then is invisible for 10-15 games at a time. He finds some consistency he might put up 50 points.
Samenas I wouldn't expect anything more then 3rd line minutes out of him right now, just from reading about him.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think the Firebirds ‘04 born are quite a bit better than the ‘05 actually.
Giroux should be >ppg as will Dann if he is playing with Giroux.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I think the Firebirds ‘04 born are quite a bit better than the ‘05 actually.
Giroux should be >ppg as will Dann if he is playing with Giroux.
I'm curious to why you think the 04s are better than the 05s?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
There’s Hayes, Coulson and then…..not much from the ‘04’s. The team is ‘05 heavy and I expect two big years out of both Day and Bertucci. I think Hay will be the one of if not the best shutdown C and face-off man in the league along with providing decent offense. I expect Smith to be here as an OA and have a Hache level 19yo and OA season. Stojkov should be a solid OA too. Giroux is good, should be a ppg+ player. Dann? Meh. His 7 playoff games were solid but he’s got a bit to prove as far as I’m concerned. Kressler and Guryev return and I think he’s the odd-man out and they won’t find a team willing to trade anything for him. Seems like a good kid and a fit in the locker room, so hopefully he proves me wrong. Next year they’ll need to…and be able to trade for a top-flight OA or two. The import situation? Well, that’s a problem cause they’re gonna need to find two good ones. Too much of the team returns next year. I could see Coulson back too but I think it’s unlikely.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'm curious to why you think the 04s are better than the 05s?
I’m not going to grade every player. I think the ‘04 are a better group than the ‘05. Bertucci will be an all-star, I think. Other than that there isn’t the same upside as the 2004 born imo.
Hayes and C.Pitre can make a top six. I doubt there is an ‘05 forward with the offensive upside of Slavicek.
Hay and Day are nice complimentary players. I think Hay will be an excellent shut down centre, one that at 19 all wannabe contenders would like to have as their #3 centre.

Last edited:

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I’m not going to grade every player. I think the ‘04 are a better group than the ‘05. Bertucci will be an all-star, I think. Other than that there isn’t the same upside as the 2004 born imo.
Hayes and C.Pitre can make a top six. I doubt there is an ‘05 forward with the offensive upside of Slavicek.
Hay and Day are nice complimentary players. I think Hay will be an excellent shut down centre, one that at 19 all wannabe contenders would like to have as their #3 centre.
All good, we can agree to disagree.
Pitre and Hayes will absolutely score some goals. I really hope Slavicek turns into something, but he disappears far too much.

I just think goaltending and defense wins long series. That's why id ride with the 05s.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I do agree there is currently nobody on the roster that will be here in 24-25 that will have the impact that Hayes and Pitre do at forward. The flip side is that really, other than those two and Giroux, pretty much everyone returns and will be a year older and better. Get a few picks and a stud 16-17yo for Hayes or Pitre this year. Then blow your picks out in 24-25 adding their replacements and more. One or two of the kids have to step up and make an impact this year too right? Gotta think one of Wang, Aspinall, Kaden etc takes advantage of ice time and has a breakout. Hopefully.

Reactions: MJ5

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Just flushing draft picks down the toilet. That’s 4 kids picked in the first 5 rounds pretty much gone. I mean…do they even bother talking to the players and families before drafting them? Or did they just think “Well, Ted has really struggled to recruit kids and apparently couldn’t get any to come here at the trade deadline either, so let’s get him a lot of difficult practice.”? The thing that blows my mind is he spent assets to trade UP in this draft. I’m hoping D’Arcy and Fellinger become legit players but when you’re signing 16yo D drafted in the 6th and 13th rounds and dropping the ball on over half the kids selected in the 1st 5 rounds….that’s a really bad sign for future success.

Reactions: MJ5

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Just flushing draft picks down the toilet. That’s 4 kids picked in the first 5 rounds pretty much gone. I mean…do they even bother talking to the players and families before drafting them? Or did they just think “Well, Ted has really struggled to recruit kids and apparently couldn’t get any to come here at the trade deadline either, so let’s get him a lot of difficult practice.”? The thing that blows my mind is he spent assets to trade UP in this draft. I’m hoping D’Arcy and Fellinger become legit players but when you’re signing 16yo D drafted in the 6th and 13th rounds and dropping the ball on over half the kids selected in the 1st 5 rounds….that’s a really bad sign for future success.
Maybe Rolf starts writing checks to get kids to commit at some point.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Maybe Rolf starts writing checks to get kids to commit at some point.
They’re gonna lose kids to other avenues. I get that. It happens to EVERY team. What you CANNOT do is trade UP to select kids and then lose 4 in the first 5 rounds. One? No problem. Two? Ok. Three? That’s pushing it. I mean, how many quality OHL players are gonna be in the league that were selected after Dryden Allen in the 2nd? A LOT. Every kid you select in the 1st two rounds HAS to be a sure-fire signing unless you have 3+ picks in round 2 and then you can swing for the fences with an American kid or something. That’s gotta be fixed too. It’s absolutely unacceptable that the Sudbury Wolves or Soo Greyhounds etc. have been able to recruit double the amount of American kids the Firebirds have. Detroit is right there. Recruit those kids. Figure it out.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Looks like tonight's game is one of the free previews on CHL.TV.

Excited for a little hockey finally.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Looks like tonight's game is one of the free previews on CHL.TV.

Excited for a little hockey finally.
Why is their stuff still just horrible? The new OHL website is something even AOL would be embarrassed by. I haven’t put much effort into figuring out yet but CHL TV isn’t working on my Roku this year. I started watching on my phone through the app and like you said, it stalls frequently and then I get alerts that the teams have scored before I actually see it on the stream.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Why is their stuff still just horrible? The new OHL website is something even AOL would be embarrassed by. I haven’t put much effort into figuring out yet but CHL TV isn’t working on my Roku this year. I started watching on my phone through the app and like you said, it stalls frequently and then I get alerts that the teams have scored before I actually see it on the stream.
I saw a bunch of people complaining about the feeds. I don't have any issues at all. Super crisp, no freezing at all. I can't look at my phone, the tweets come out about 10 seconds before it happens on my screen.

New and interesting high end camera view, I don't like that they switch to it all the time, hoping that's just a preseason thing.

Reactions: Savard18

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
They have a new chl official app replacing the chltv app, but it's not available on roku. It is available on firestick.

Reactions: Savard18

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It stopped freezing after 3-4 times. The production values from the teams has come along a TON over the last few years and I had zero issues last year with AppleTV or the Roku. I don’t think I can add it on my Samsung tv and it said to delete the old CHLTV app and download the new one for Firesticks, Roku’s or AppleTV. Did that. Keep getting an error message. It’s preseason and I’m doing some stuff around the house. I’ll figure it out later. Also, I’m just gonna turn the notifications off on the CHL app so I don’t have to deal with that.

They have a new chl official app replacing the chltv app, but it's not available on roku. It is available on firestick.
See, the email I got with the discounted subscription said there was a new one. Not a HUGE deal but still….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad