Flint Firebirds 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I don't believe that carries any weight as an arguement.

Teams always take advantage of other teams. At the deadline, teams that sell players to contenders are taking advantage of another teams' need to improve. That is why player values at the deadline are typically higher than any other time during the season.

I could argue Ottawa took advantage of Sarnia's need to improve last year when we traded Konecny when we fleeced them for the ridiculous return we received.

It is the nature of sport for players to take advantage of other players and teams to take advantage of other teams.

The goal is to not leave yourself open to be taken advantage of. Flint's organization left a big gaping hole open for other teams to take advantage of. They have no one to blame but themselves. Like I said before......

DON'T GET BITTER, GET BETTER!

Big difference here with Konecny, Ottawa had a list of teams (I said teams with "s") creating a bidding war for Konecny's services. In Bitten's case only one team on the list of preferred direction, placing Flint management in a terrible disadvantage. That is not fair competition if you ask me, matter of fact there is no competition at all, I would suggest the league to stepup in these situation to insure fair market values.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Big difference here with Konecny, Ottawa had a list of teams (I said teams with "s") creating a bidding war for Konecny's services. In Bitten's case only one team on the list of preferred direction, placing Flint management in a terrible disadvantage. That is not fair competition if you ask me, matter of fact there is no competition at all, I would suggest the league to stepup in these situation to insure fair market values.

COMMIE! :D

But seriously, i get where you are coming from. I sympathize. But at the end of the day, the situation is what it is. Bitten has a NTC that allows him to block any trade and he is using it. Fair or not, Bitten is within his rights to exercise his right. It is also his right to sit out. He is exercising that right too.

Does it suck for the Firebirds? Absolutely. No one will dispute that.

The last thing we need is league intervention circumventing legal contracts. That is never going to happen.

This is a game of chicken right now. Who is going to cluck first?

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
COMMIE! :D

But seriously, i get where you are coming from. I sympathize. But at the end of the day, the situation is what it is. Bitten has a NTC that allows him to block any trade and he is using it. Fair or not, Bitten is within his rights to exercise his right. It is also his right to sit out. He is exercising that right too.

Does it suck for the Firebirds? Absolutely. No one will dispute that.

The last thing we need is league intervention circumventing legal contracts. That is never going to happen.

This is a game of chicken right now. Who is going to cluck first?

I am not disagreeing with you entirely, I do understand the situation Flint got themselves into, we also must understand all the other players on the team and the fans, they all are bystanders and are watching their team being dismantle. At what time this all has to stop and they start to see a light somewhere in sight.

All I am suggesting in Bitten's situation of his request to go to only one team, it automatically place Flint at a disadvantage, this is when a fair deal must be in order, the league need to stepup in this situation to insure fair market values or bring in an arbitrator to help settle this deal so both teams can benefit.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I am not disagreeing with you entirely, I do understand the situation Flint got themselves into, we also must understand all the other players on the team and the fans, they all are bystanders and are watching their team being dismantle. At what time this all has to stop and they start to see a light somewhere in sight.

All I am suggesting in Bitten's situation of his request to go to only one team, it automatically place Flint at a disadvantage, this is when a fair deal must be in order, the league need to stepup in this situation to insure fair market values or bring in an arbitrator to help settle this deal so both teams can benefit.

The cart is a little ahead of the horse on this one. The regular season hasn't started yet.

I could understand a situation where external forces would start to get involved it this were to drag on into December but until then, it simply needs to just play out.

In the end, no one can force the 67's into trading something they don't want to trade and no one can force Bitten to play anywere he doesn't want to. He is within his rights to simply not play hockey until he gets what he wants or he turns 20 and ages out of Major Junior.

I am not suggesting Bitten will simply hang up his skates, that would be stupid on his part. But, at some point Ottawa will simply walk away and that will put pressure on Bitten to make a decision and call Flint's bluff or he will expand his team list.

The problem could also be Burnett. He could be asking for too much. We don't know what has been asked and what has been offered. IF we had that information we could all give more critical arguements.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
The cart is a little ahead of the horse on this one. The regular season hasn't started yet.

I could understand a situation where external forces would start to get involved it this were to drag on into December but until then, it simply needs to just play out.

In the end, no one can force the 67's into trading something they don't want to trade and no one can force Bitten to play anywere he doesn't want to. He is within his rights to simply not play hockey until he gets what he wants or he turns 20 and ages out of Major Junior.

I am not suggesting Bitten will simply hang up his skates, that would be stupid on his part. But, at some point Ottawa will simply walk away and that will put pressure on Bitten to make a decision and call Flint's bluff or he will expand his team list.

The problem could also be Burnett. He could be asking for too much. We don't know what has been asked and what has been offered. IF we had that information we could all give more critical arguements.

I think we can be pretty sure that Ottawa won't be offering what Bitten is worth. They have no reason to. It isn't in their best interests to make an offer of fair value for him. Fair value likely wouldn't do much to improve their team might even hurt it a little bit. Bitten is insisting on a team that frankly isn't a good trade fit. Sure they would love to have him and he could help them but only if they don't have to give much in return.

I don't really see him sitting out. I agree that would be a horrible decision on his part. If Burnett isn't willing to essentially just let him go for peanuts, I don't really blame him if that is his position, then Bitten will have to open up his list of acceptable teams. Completely understand he wants to leave Flint but the fact that he will only go to Ottawa has nothing to do with Flint. That is all him. There lots of good teams with good ownership that would like to have him. He needs to accept that Ottawa doesn't really want him that badly and move on.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
According to twitter Flint has traded Keyser to Oshawa for a 2nd round pick in 2017.

Its true just got the announcement from the team in my email.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 9, 2016

Firebirds Trade Goalie to Oshawa
Flint, Mich. - The Flint Firebirds announced today that the club has completed a trade with the Oshawa Generals.
In the trade, Flint receives a second-round pick in the upcoming 2017 OHL Priority Selection. In return, the Firebirds trade goaltender Kyle Keyser to Oshawa. Last season with the Flint, Keyser marked a 4.42 goals-against-average (GAA) and a .877 save-percentage (SAV %) including a 4-10-0 record through 17 games.
The Firebirds play their final home preseason game tonight against the Saginaw Spirit. Puck drop is set for 7 p.m. (ET) at the Firebirds' practice facility, Flint Iceland Arenas on Elms Rd. in Clayton Township. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at the door. Tickets for the Firebirds' Opening Night on Wednesday, Sep. 21 against Saginaw at the Dort Federal Event Center are on-sale now and fans can purchase online at ticketmaster.com here.

For media inquiries, contact:
Dominic Hennig
Director of Broadcasting & Communications
Flint Firebirds Hockey Club
[email protected]
(810) 519-9347

Flint Firebirds Hockey Club
Member of the Ontario Hockey League
3501 Lapeer Road, Flint, Michigan 48503 www.flintfirebirds.com

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Now that is a really dissapointing return.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Goalies typically don't go for very much. A 2nd round pick is actually pretty good. The only question is whether you needed a goalie in return.

He won't be a starter in Oshawa with Brodeur holding down the fort. We will see if he can push him for a starting job.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Very good return for a unproven backup goalie, especially one that wanted out. Burnett made out as well as he possible could. One down, two to go

CJinGrandBlanc

Apr 7, 2016

I agree Savard18, very disappointing return. However, George Burnett made several attempts to obtain a player in the trade, specifically with Oshawa, but all refused to report to Flint.

At this stage the Firebirds don't need draft picks, they need bodies. Whose to say that any of these future draft picks also decide not to report.

Bitten and Mercer yet remain to be traded. Will we also be only seeing draft picks in those future transactions?

Nilsen, Papista & Christensen you've established a "cancer". It's a travesty that you are all still around and getting paid for what you have created.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I wouldn't read too much into it. Goalies typically don't go for very much. A 2nd round pick is actually pretty good. The only question is whether you needed a goalie in return.

He won't be a starter in Oshawa with Brodeur holding down the fort. We will see if he can push him for a starting job.

Your right Kyle won't be a starter but I do expect Jeremy to be traded at some point to a contender as he an OA and the gens are looking for 2018 as there season and Jeremy wont be here for the 2018 season.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere

I found this article on why the trade:

Flint Firebirds of the Ontario Hockey League have granted the trade request of Kyle Keyser and shipped the 1999 birth-year goalie to the Oshawa Generals.

In exchange, Flint receives a second-round pick at the 2017 OHL draft for Keyser, who posted a 4-10-0 record to go with a 4.42 goals against average and .877 save percentage with the Firebirds in 2015-2016.

Firebirds general manager George Burnett told HockeyNewsNorth.com that he hopes to use the second-round pick acquired from Oshawa to bring in a veteran player to Flint.

“We have accumulated quite a few extra draft picks now and the plan moving forward is trade them to make us a better team sooner than later,” Burnett acknowledged.

The reputable Flint GM added that moving Keyser wasn’t in the Firebirds plans for this season but the goalie’s request left Burnett with little choice but to make the trade.

“It’s not the perfect situation for us,” Burnett added, “but as I said to you earlier, the plan now is to use our extra draft picks to bring in players who can help us now.”

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

IF Flint wasn't a franchise that not a lot of players want to go to

IF the crazy owner wasn't still around

IF other higher profile players weren't basicslly being held ransom and shamed by the fans

then yeah, that'd be a disappointing return.

But all those things are happening so it really drives down the price. A second rounder is good especially since it's for this upcoming draft. Use it for a player for next year, or flip it for a warm body now. Either way it's something.

Mayday3*

Oshawa tried to trade Mundell back for him but Mundell used his no trade clause to say hes not going to Flint

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As reported by JF Plante of LE Droit (Ottawa French newspaper)...

Jeff Brown has made 10 different offers for Bitten.
Burnett is demanding Chmelevski.

Jeff Brown has given Burnett a deadline of September 22nd for a deal. He will then walk away.

Clearly Burnett is not trying to work out a deal because even if Brown were to agree to a deal including Chmelevski, there is no way in hell Chmelevski would waive his NTC in his contract to go to a rebuilding Flint team in his draft year.

And the beat goes on....

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

Jeff Brown has given Burnett a deadline of September 22nd for a deal. He will then walk away.

Clearly Burnett is not trying to work out a deal because even if Brown were to agree to a deal including Chmelevski, there is no way in hell Chmelevski would waive his NTC in his contract to go to a rebuilding Flint team in his draft year.

And the beat goes on....

Exactly. Burnett needs to realistic about the type of return he can get. No top prospect is going to want to go anywhere near the team - and I suspect most other players won't be interested either.

HealthyScratch1

Not Who You Think
Aug 4, 2016
Dort

And the beat goes on....

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this scenario is going to happen with most teams, if that was even an option... Eventually when he is dealt, it's going to come down to getting fourth line bodies and draft picks. This isnt the fault of Burnett though. He's doing his job and trying to get Bitten's value in return. I also believe he's realizing quickly how negative the management and situation is viewed around the league.

CJinGrandBlanc

Apr 7, 2016
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this scenario is going to happen with most teams, if that was even an option... Eventually when he is dealt, it's going to come down to getting fourth line bodies and draft picks. This isnt the fault of Burnett though. He's doing his job and trying to get Bitten's value in return. I also believe he's realizing quickly how negative the management and situation is viewed around the league.

And probably privately saying to himself......Why in the "hell" did I get myself involved with this mess.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
And probably privately saying to himself......Why in the "hell" did I get myself involved with this mess.

You know, I have been a big supporter of George Burnett for quite awhile, he is fair and will stand up to anyone who isn't. He's fully aware of the situation and as a fair man will not stand in the way of a player's progress. He demands respects and fair values, there is a good reason he has been a General Manager in this league for so long. there will be a deal and it will be fair and in the best interest of the Flint Generals.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
You know, I have been a big supporter of George Burnett for quite awhile, he is fair and will stand up to anyone who isn't. He's fully aware of the situation and as a fair man will not stand in the way of a player's progress. He demands respects and fair values, there is a good reason he has been a General Manager in this league for so long. there will be a deal and it will be fair and in the best interest of the Flint Generals.

*Flint Firebirds

HealthyScratch1

Not Who You Think
Aug 4, 2016
Dort

I agree, however the "best interest" is relative to the situation in many ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad