Flint Firebirds 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Where did you hear this from? I am not surprised, but think he isn't strong enough yet for AHL level of play. He is going to really have to work extremely hard this summer. Toledo of the ECHL makes more sense to me.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Where did you hear this from? I am not surprised, but think he isn't strong enough yet for AHL level of play. He is going to really have to work extremely hard this summer. Toledo of the ECHL makes more sense to me.

This is quite common for NHL draft picks once their OHL season is over. It does not preclude the player from playing in the OHL next season if he still has eligibility, nor does it burn a year from the player's entry level contract. Basically, it gets the prospect some exposure at a higher level without any affect on his junior status. This move could only occur once Flint's season was over. Teams usually send the prospects to their AHL affiliate -- not the ECHL.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Yeah, I'm not sure he'll even get to see any game action. As long as Rolf is gone, I can't see him being anywhere other than the OHL or Finland. He's got a lot of developing to do still.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
With the possbilty of some players not beng back, I wonder if Flint would trade one of those 3 2nd round picks or 2 3rd round picks for a veteran player.

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
More to the point, I wonder if Flint has found a first, second or third round player who will commit to come yet?:shakehead

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
After the last game 3 of the players all said on TV they expect to be back in Flint next season

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
More to the point, I wonder if Flint has found a first, second or third round player who will commit to come yet?:shakehead

Mark Edwards reported that Kirill Nizhnikov and Sergei Popov both said they'd report to Flint. Popov shouldn't be tough to land at #5, maaaaaaybe #23 if they wanna get risky. Now it's just a matter of seeing if Nizhnikov will make it to #3. With Sudbury picking #2 and a lot of kids playing the NCAA/NTDP game, I hope they're working on a planB option too. I hope they DO go after a high end American who's going to the NTDP route with one of their 2nd round picks. He can develop in Plymouth and it'll give the franchise time to work out issues and settle things. With all their picks in the first three rounds this year, I don't mind the prospect of having a high end kid come in after the NTDP for just a year or two. Theoretically, that should just about be the time they're really going for it anyway.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Before last season started, Flint made 2 trades of draft picks for 2 veteran players. Is it just 2016 picks that cannot be traded?

The period between the trade deadline and the draft rosters are locked. You cannot trade for players who are rostered until June 1st. If your intention is to trade your 2016 OHL Draft picks for players, as mentioned, then your too late, the period has passed.

Once June 1st opens up, you can trade 2017 OHL Draft picks for players.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Probably what you said. Scognamiglio would take up an OA spot and I was told he tweeted some mildly negative things about management after he left. Wouldn't mind seeing Sensky and Johnston get another look though. One thing I did notice was Moran was a scratch in the second to last game. Menna started and then was replaced by Keyser. Keyser started the last game with Menna on the bench. Papista was on Channel 12 news today. He said the OHL should be making a statement soon.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Probably what you said. Scognamiglio would take up an OA spot and I was told he tweeted some mildly negative things about management after he left. Wouldn't mind seeing Sensky and Johnston get another look though. One thing I did notice was Moran was a scratch in the second to last game. Menna started and then was replaced by Keyser. Keyser started the last game with Menna on the bench. Papista was on Channel 12 news today. He said the OHL should be making a statement soon.

ABC TV 12's Damon Maloney asked Papista, "There's been talk with some of the things that have taken place - maybe a potential sale...Nilsen may no longer be owning the team?"

Papista answered, "I don't think that's within the realm of possibility."

This part of the statement is what scares me the most! This sounds like Rolf will still be owning the team which would be bad news for the hockey fans of Flint.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

ABC TV 12's Damon Maloney asked Papista, "There's been talk with some of the things that have taken place - maybe a potential sale...Nilsen may no longer be owning the team?"

Papista answered, "I don't think that's within the realm of possibility."

This part of the statement is what scares me the most! This sounds like Rolf will still be owning the team which would be bad news for the hockey fans of Flint.

Yeah, that turned my stomach too. I think it's just Costa doing the PR thing. He's done it before. Didn't he say right after that he was expecting an announcement from the OHL soon? I'll be really surprised if they announce he is staying the owner and still allowed to be involved in decision making. If they want to recruit top talent and be successful, I can't see how they can do that with Nilsen still around. Anyway....my daughter told me the Firebirds tweeted that Saarijarvi has been sent to Toledo. As much time as Draper and Holland spent at DFCU you'd think they'd know he wasn't ready for the AHL. Let's see if he can get any ice time in the ECHL.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Maybe some one will buy the arena from him looks like Brampton is staying put may have reached a new agreement with the city. Besides the O is better than the ECHL.

Bellof

Sep 18, 2015
Grand Blanc, MI
Negative things said about management? Yeah, OK - head to the back of the line, Vince. Not trying to be unkind, but Scognamiglio holding an OHL roster spot was marginal to begin with. Certainly not an OA spot. Probably in his best interests to get on with his education anyway. Just waiting for the announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad