Flint Firebirds 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copper95b

Aug 29, 2016
I'll be broadcasting the action in Saginaw on Periscope tonight. Follow my scope listed below for some live action.

@Jeronimo_thomas

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this scenario is going to happen with most teams, if that was even an option... Eventually when he is dealt, it's going to come down to getting fourth line bodies and draft picks. This isnt the fault of Burnett though. He's doing his job and trying to get Bitten's value in return. I also believe he's realizing quickly how negative the management and situation is viewed around the league.

I find it incredible that Nilsen/Papista/TC have done as much or more to hurt the team's ability to recruit than Gov Snyder and the reputation of the city has. The 3 Stooges are still at the arenas watching and Hakon is still getting a regular shift including PP time, so they HAVE to still be having an influence. Hakon is -5 in 3 preseason games so far and looked rough last night. I really had thought there would be some improvement in his game coming into this season. Menna look much more confident and steady, he's made strides forward it looks like. Got a little bit lucky at times last night but looked good. Ty Dellandrea impresses me more and more everytime I see him. The rest of the rookies all look really good but it's obvious they're all either 16 or 17 and stepping into a whole new league. The youth shows at times but so does their potential. Smereck and especially Clark have already made me a fan. I love Clark's game. It was nice to see him get in the face of Middleton and Neimalainen. Boy, Middleton sure is a tough guy when he's facing a 16yo or someone under 5'10". Saginaw has played Flint enough to know to pressure Hakon when he's got the puck. There was usually at least one forward who would be on him quick, forcing a decision. Caamano needs to settle down with the penalties a bit or at least make them a little more worthwhile.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this scenario is going to happen with most teams, if that was even an option... Eventually when he is dealt, it's going to come down to getting fourth line bodies and draft picks. This isnt the fault of Burnett though. He's doing his job and trying to get Bitten's value in return. I also believe he's realizing quickly how negative the management and situation is viewed around the league.

Ben Fanjoy was a 5th round pick. I doubt he has a NTC in his contract. HE is a player that would play first or second line for Flint. Hell, I think he will be a first liner in Ottawa! HE doesnt' project to be a pro player so it is also likely he returns for an OA season.

I would imagine if there was a deal in Ottawa, he would be the premium skater in the deal.

So, it shouldn't be all that bad unless Brown is simply throwing out picks and marginal players.

HealthyScratch1

Not Who You Think
Aug 4, 2016
Dort
I find it incredible that Nilsen/Papista/TC have done as much or more to hurt the team's ability to recruit than Gov Snyder and the reputation of the city has. The 3 Stooges are still at the arenas watching and Hakon is still getting a regular shift including PP time, so they HAVE to still be having an influence. Hakon is -5 in 3 preseason games so far and looked rough last night. I really had thought there would be some improvement in his game coming into this season. Menna look much more confident and steady, he's made strides forward it looks like. Got a little bit lucky at times last night but looked good. Ty Dellandrea impresses me more and more everytime I see him. The rest of the rookies all look really good but it's obvious they're all either 16 or 17 and stepping into a whole new league. The youth shows at times but so does their potential. Smereck and especially Clark have already made me a fan. I love Clark's game. It was nice to see him get in the face of Middleton and Neimalainen. Boy, Middleton sure is a tough guy when he's facing a 16yo or someone under 5'10". Saginaw has played Flint enough to know to pressure Hakon when he's got the puck. There was usually at least one forward who would be on him quick, forcing a decision. Caamano needs to settle down with the penalties a bit or at least make them a little more worthwhile.

Great post! Always insightful

100% the trio still has influence. TC and Costa are yes people to Rolf

TC would jump off a bridge if Rolf asked him to. He has no backbone with him. This is why TC fired Grudes twice. He couldn't/wouldn't tell Rolf he was a good coach cause he would've been fired

#4 wouldn't even be playing on other clubs, let alone PP time. This is the reason you have issues trading Bitten and/or having any top guy reporting in the future. The pig just has lipstick on it and still stinks like a pig..

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The sad thing is....1.There is a kid that should be playing in the OHL right now that isn't. Rettinger probably? and 2. The scouting staff has done an incredible job and it's partially being wasted. Just imagine the most positive scenario this team could be in right now. Put Bitten, Mercer, Keyser, Grez, Vilardi maybe back on the roster. Add a couple potentials like Vasili Kolias, Roslovic, JD Greenway, or Evan Barratt next year. Throw in Vesalainen and anybody I missed.That's a pretty formidable roster even in the West. I don't think we could expect much better drafting than the franchise has had the last few years and that is being seriously handicapped for what?

HealthyScratch1

Not Who You Think
Aug 4, 2016
Dort
The sad thing is....1.There is a kid that should be playing in the OHL right now that isn't. Rettinger probably? and 2. The scouting staff has done an incredible job and it's partially being wasted. Just imagine the most positive scenario this team could be in right now. Put Bitten, Mercer, Keyser, Grez, Vilardi maybe back on the roster. Add a couple potentials like Vasili Kolias, Roslovic, JD Greenway, or Evan Barratt next year. Throw in Vesalainen and anybody I missed.That's a pretty formidable roster even in the West. I don't think we could expect much better drafting than the franchise has had the last few years and that is being seriously handicapped for what?

You laid it out there perfectly.

To answer your simple "for what" question... So #4 can play in the OHL

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Look at it this way. IT is not like this situation will be a long haul.

If Nilsen can get this team sold by next offseason, everything will change in an instant. The Firebirds may not be a strong team next year but with some solid drafting, as you mentioned, combined with a new found sense of optimism, Flint will rebound very quick.

HealthyScratch1

Not Who You Think
Aug 4, 2016
Dort
Look at it this way. IT is not like this situation will be a long haul.

If Nilsen can get this team sold by next offseason, everything will change in an instant. The Firebirds may not be a strong team next year but with some solid drafting, as you mentioned, combined with a new found sense of optimism, Flint will rebound very quick.

You got it! However, Rolf will not be told what to do or to be forced to sell, hence this past off season. The only way this thing can turn around quickly is for #4 to be cut. Then Rolf will want to sell. Then the turn around will happen and it'll be quick

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

Oh yeah. I know what I missed. The #3 overall pick in 2016.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I'm surprised Hakon still wants to be on the team after all that's happened. Even if he wants to play junior, the whole situation must be incredibly awkward.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I'm surprised Hakon still wants to be on the team after all that's happened. Even if he wants to play junior, the whole situation must be incredibly awkward.

Well, just going off tonight's box score Jalen Smereck went 1g 1a +1 2shots and 0 PIM. Not named a star of the game. Hakon went 0g 0a even 0 shots with 2PIM and was second star of the game so unless he just ripped it up defensively or something maybe he's just a big fan of undeserved accolades. ??? Seriously, what the hell is going on with that team? Can Branch come in for a third try to fix this stuff?

letsgofirebirds1

Mar 15, 2016
Well, just going off tonight's box score Jalen Smereck went 1g 1a +1 2shots and 0 PIM. Not named a star of the game. Hakon went 0g 0a even 0 shots with 2PIM and was second star of the game so unless he just ripped it up defensively or something maybe he's just a big fan of undeserved accolades. ??? Seriously, what the hell is going on with that team? Can Branch come in for a third try to fix this stuff?

Take it easy...

Not some plot to get Hakon a star. I was at the game. Smereck got second star. Someone must have a fat finger entering the box score online.

HealthyScratch1

Not Who You Think
Aug 4, 2016
Dort

It was really awkward last season to say the least. He's def the outsider with the vets. I think he feels forced to play sometimes. Almost like he knows he doesn't belong but he has to play cause his dad.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
It was really awkward last season to say the least. He's def the outsider with the vets. I think he feels forced to play sometimes. Almost like he knows he doesn't belong but he has to play cause his dad.

Honestly, I feel bad for Hakon. I know that Burgess' son decided to leave the Wolves and go to school rather than keep playing. I'm not sure whether Hakon has any desire to do the same.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Pretty easy to get him cut......the players just have to resign? Heck they got an entire coaching staff reinstated along with a 3 year deal to boot just last year? Just a thought........:dunno:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Does anyone know when the final cuts are coming out?

There won't be anyone else cut from this team unless there are some trades made. They are already down to only 12 forwards and 8 defense on the roster, and right now they're also nursing quite a few injuries. Really, they need to add players.

Speaking of the problem of only having 12 forwards on the roster...Nilsen started Saturday's game on a forward line with Kirwan being out. He only jumped back to defense when Steinocher left the game (he didn't come out to start the 2nd period).

Copper95b

Aug 29, 2016
There won't be anyone else cut from this team unless there are some trades made. They are already down to only 12 forwards and 8 defense on the roster, and right now they're also nursing quite a few injuries. Really, they need to add players.

Speaking of the problem of only having 12 forwards on the roster...Nilsen started Saturday's game on a forward line with Kirwan being out. He only jumped back to defense when Steinocher left the game (he didn't come out to start the 2nd period).

I was at the game Saturday and noticed Nilsen was playing forward. The cool thing about the game is after warm ups, Smereck, Dellandrea and one other gave my young daughter a warm up puck each. That was pretty cool! She thought that was the coolest thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce