Flint - Another Ownership-Coaching Problem

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Hakon proves that he's earned it and wasn't just handed a spot. I don't know how much that matters to Daddy but I think it might matter to him. He's played better when the circus wasn't as much in the media. I gotta think it's affected his play a bit. He's not REAL far from being a capable 5-6 D or 3rd-4th line forward. I could see him earning a spot and he doesn't have a lot of options now that he's played in the O. As far as Rolf getting another team in the arena, what league in their right mind would want to deal with that guy now? If the community watches him lose the Firebirds after one season and all the bad publicity, I can't see nearly the support they've got this year. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY anywhere has anything nice to say about the guy. At least he showed prospective buyers that if done even half correctly, that the city could make a hockey team in that arena successful.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I don't see him as being that benevolent. How does he or his son profit under that scenario?

Well, he's definitely not getting another OHL team, and it's doubtful that the USHL would allow him to have a team after this fiasco, so if he's forced out as Firebirds owner by the league his son isn't playing for daddy's team under any circumstance.

I think the situation would be more that if the league forces him out there is not much reason for him to own the arena anymore if his sole reason for doing so was to house a team for his son.

We are all just speculating, of course, since nothing Nilsen has done so far has made much sense from the standpoint of running a successful hockey franchise. That makes attempting to predict any future decisions by him pretty difficult.

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
Well, he's definitely not getting another OHL team, and it's doubtful that the USHL would allow him to have a team after this fiasco, so if he's forced out as Firebirds owner by the league his son isn't playing for daddy's team under any circumstance.

I think the situation would be more that if the league forces him out there is not much reason for him to own the arena anymore if his sole reason for doing so was to house a team for his son.

We are all just speculating, of course, since nothing Nilsen has done so far has made much sense from the standpoint of running a successful hockey franchise. That makes attempting to predict any future decisions by him pretty difficult.

ECHL could be an option for him to own a team (check box for him, but not his son).

I still think his end-game is a place for HÃ¥kon and that means OHL stays in his building and there is an "arrangement" with the new owners. It's a business too remember. Flint has benefited with the improvements and the fans seem ok with young HÃ¥kon being part of the team. So can they tolerate Nilsen as arena owner and his son as a steadily improving D-man for a few more years...? I am betting there will be advantages to make them overlook some factors :)

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

The USHL didn't want a team in Flint...he was lucky that a better option was presented to him.Plus he's not getting a ECHL team for free

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Hakon Nilsen stats:

Games: 43
Goals: 0
Assists: 4
Plus/Minus: -27

Three Firebird players have worse +/-, but many more minutes played as well. It is not all about his number of points and +/-, but I suspect he would not be on any other OHL roster either. I hope we can draft some very skilled defenseman if we can get things ironed-out.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
With a year's worth of OHL experience, and being another year older, Nilsen may have a good shot at not only being on the roster, but actually being a player the team needs to depend on in 2016-17.

The D will be really thinning out...Pittman aged-out, Peters gone to the pros, Saarijarvi gone to wherever the Red Wings would rather see him. Henderson will probably be back as an OA. This leaves him, Duchesne and DiCarlo as the major players on the defense.

From what I've seen this year, I really hope that they have enough talent coming in that they don't need to lean too heavily on Nilsen, but I'm not counting out the possibility of THEM needing HIM, not the other way around.

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
With a year's worth of OHL experience, and being another year older, Nilsen may have a good shot at not only being on the roster, but actually being a player the team needs to depend on in 2016-17.

The D will be really thinning out...Pittman aged-out, Peters gone to the pros, Saarijarvi gone to wherever the Red Wings would rather see him. Henderson will probably be back as an OA. This leaves him, Duchesne and DiCarlo as the major players on the defense.

From what I've seen this year, I really hope that they have enough talent coming in that they don't need to lean too heavily on Nilsen, but I'm not counting out the possibility of THEM needing HIM, not the other way around.

I agree and if his father is no longer the team owner, just the landlord - it will take the pressure off of the kid. He will no longer be part of the media circus and he can just focus on playing hockey.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
ECHL could be an option for him to own a team (check box for him, but not his son).

I still think his end-game is a place for HÃ¥kon and that means OHL stays in his building and there is an "arrangement" with the new owners. It's a business too remember. Flint has benefited with the improvements and the fans seem ok with young HÃ¥kon being part of the team. So can they tolerate Nilsen as arena owner and his son as a steadily improving D-man for a few more years...? I am betting there will be advantages to make them overlook some factors :)

Is there no Junior B or C options in Michigan for him rather than dragging a bunch of other players and staff down. Please jump on me if I'm getting out of line but there probably a lower tier junior team that could use him.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

Have no problem with him being on the team if he earns it

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Is there no Junior B or C options in Michigan for him rather than dragging a bunch of other players and staff down. Please jump on me if I'm getting out of line but there probably a lower tier junior team that could use him.

1. He'll be a year older.
2. He'll have a year's worth of OHL experience under his belt.
3. The team looks to have only 4 returning D-men, including him.

That's why I say (as much as it scares me), they may be in a situation where this team needs him.

As far as other options, there is a USHL presence in Michigan (Muskegon and USNTDP), that most who follow the OHL would like to think is a 1/2 step behind the OHL. The NAHL's Michigan Warriors went into dormancy when the OHL came to town.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015

Flint's hockey team needs rid themself of both Rolf and his son. I could live with Rolf owning the arena I guess, but would think new owners would want no player arrangements. It is not my choice, but I would not be in favor of Hakon being on this team this fall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad