Flint - Another Ownership-Coaching Problem

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
What generates more revenue, the arena or the team. Obviously the arena with no team makes little revenue. I would think the arena would be the better pure revenue source.

Nilsen may well part with the team and let the team play in the arena.

He has appeared very childish in behavior but maybe his business sense will kick in and he can realize this. Especially with the likelihood that his son is not going to be a top player in the OHL. Might be wishful thinking though.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
What generates more revenue, the arena or the team. Obviously the arena with no team makes little revenue. I would think the arena would be the better pure revenue source.

He has appeared very childish in behavior but maybe his business sense will kick in and he can realize this. Especially with the likelihood that his son is not going to be a top player in the OHL. Might be wishful thinking though.

I'm hoping that's what happens at worst.You don't become a billionaire by makng stupid choices.Hopefully the league can get some good people to operate and coach this franchise.

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I think there's a better chance of Flint area native Tom Gores buying the FireBirds than the Iilitch family.

Not sure if Detroit Pistons owner and Flint native Tom Gores is into hockey, but I absolutely love the idea.

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario

Two schools of thought here:

(1) even the brightest business minds dim somewhat when the issue includes family;
(2) the difference between a good player and great player can often come down to a factor of ice time.

Bellof

Sep 18, 2015
Grand Blanc, MI
I could see Illitch maybe taking a run at the franchise. When Karmanos first owned them, they played out of the Joe. There have been rumors of the Wings Franchise wanting to host the world juniors after the new arena is built. Plus with the new arena, he might want another little toy to tinker with and keep people in that area when the wings aren't playing.

IMO, a junior team playing downtown alongside the Wings wouldn't draw flies. The optics would be worse than crowd shots at a typical Florida Panthers game

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Illitch could certainly afford the franchise -- he could pay for it just with the loose change found in his sofa. ;) The question is whether he would want to be bothered with something this "small potatoes" in comparison to the other assets in the family empire. It would be sort of like Donald Trump buying a "fixer upper" home for $30,000 to flip at $60,000.

If this did happen, though, the team could be called the Junior Red Wings again!

Couldn't disagree more...The Illitch's have always dabbled in little "pet projects" to keep their kids busy and working. This would be perfect!

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Couldn't disagree more...The Illitch's have always dabbled in little "pet projects" to keep their kids busy and working. This would be perfect!

It's not gonna be Illitch. An employee of someone else told me their boss was.... and it'll be all worked out in a month or so. I'd still take that as rumour but there was no doubt in his statement and the other thing he told me his "boss" was gonna do just came to pass exactly like he said it would. I know that's just kinda "blah, blah, blah" but if I was any more specific an astute detective could pretty much narrow it down to exactly who told me or close to it and that's not really cool on my part. I'm not making any promises but I'm much less concerned than I was.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
It's not gonna be Illitch. An employee of someone else told me their boss was.... and it'll be all worked out in a month or so. I'd still take that as rumour but there was no doubt in his statement and the other thing he told me his "boss" was gonna do just came to pass exactly like he said it would. I know that's just kinda "blah, blah, blah" but if I was any more specific an astute detective could pretty much narrow it down to exactly who told me or close to it and that's not really cool on my part. I'm not making any promises but I'm much less concerned than I was.

Reminds me of a Scooby Doo mystery! Okay, I'll guess -- the new owner will be the old lighthouse keeper! :laugh:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I know this is in the Flint season thread already.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/future-of-the-flint-firebirds-remains-in-limbo-1.450480

It appears that Branch is armed with two options to get Flint back on track, both of which could have significant legal obstacles.

Branch could use the broad powers of the OHL by-laws to vacate Nilsen’s ownership of the franchise. Or, Branch could attempt to place a lengthy suspension on Nilsen and his associates from hockey operations, in the hopes that Nilsen would sell the franchise.

Really a sad situation. As Nilsen owns the arena too, with any of the above 2 options, is there a realistic chance a new owner can come in to keep the team in Flint?

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
Really a sad situation. As Nilsen owns the arena too, with any of the above 2 options, is there a realistic chance a new owner can come in to keep the team in Flint?

Of course there is a chance, I predict a new team owner and Nilsen retains control of the building. I would suspect then the only issue would be whether HÃ¥kon remains with the Firebirds or is traded. Looking forward to seeing the team in Niagara tomorrow night!!

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
This was prepared by a writer from my site!

Feel like he added some options/opinions that other media outlets wouldn't have even considered

http://overtimesportsnation.com/where-does-the-flint-firebirds-go-from-here/

Very good article, but the bottom line is every market mentioned has an issue (which was pointed out in the article). If the OHL didn't work in Plymouth (with the strongest owner possible, it won't work in Fraser. The team will get no media coverage in Metro Detroit because it is not the Tigers, Lions, Red Wings, Pistons, U-M or MSU. The Fraser arena is thought of as a minor hockey arena where people go to watch their kids play, not watch the OHL. At least Plymouth was identified with the Whalers. As a Detroiter, I don't believe that the OHL can work in Metro Detroit, just like it doesn't seem it can work in the GTA.

jfvoll

Sep 16, 2015
Very good article, but the bottom line is every market mentioned has an issue (which was pointed out in the article). If the OHL didn't work in Plymouth (with the strongest owner possible, it won't work in Fraser. The team will get no media coverage in Metro Detroit because it is not the Tigers, Lions, Red Wings, Pistons, U-M or MSU. The Fraser arena is thought of as a minor hockey arena where people go to watch their kids play, not watch the OHL. At least Plymouth was identified with the Whalers. As a Detroiter, I don't believe that the OHL can work in Metro Detroit, just like it doesn't seem it can work in the GTA.

So where, out of curiosity, would you put an OHL team in Michigan?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
If the Firebirds do move to Fraser, Michigan I want to be the first by suggesting the team name to be the Fraser Cranes! ;)

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
So where, out of curiosity, would you put an OHL team in Michigan?

Other than Flint, there are not many good options. Ann Arbor, Lansing and Kalamazoo have NCAA teams, Muskegon has a USHL team, and Grand Rapids has an AHL team. Probably the largest remaining untapped market is the Traverse City area, and I'm not sure it's big enough to support a franchise (although it continues to grow).

Flint's best hope is if someone with local ties (aka Tom Gores) is interested and can convince Nilsen to sell both the team and the arena. The arena could become part of the Palace Sports & Entertainment company he owns, which includes The Palace, DTE Music Theater, Meadowbrook Theater and Freedom Hill.

jfvoll

Sep 16, 2015
Other than Flint, there are not many good options. Ann Arbor, Lansing and Kalamazoo have NCAA teams, Muskegon has a USHL team, and Grand Rapids has an AHL team. Probably the largest remaining untapped market is the Traverse City area, and I'm not sure it's big enough to support a franchise (although it continues to grow).

I considered Grand Traverse County but it's population is pretty small (88,000).

Flint's best hope is if someone with local ties (aka Tom Gores) is interested and can convince Nilsen to sell both the team and the arena. The arena could become part of the Palace Sports & Entertainment company he owns, which includes The Palace, DTE Music Theater, Meadowbrook Theater and Freedom Hill.

I'm highly doubtful that Nilsen would sell the team and arena. Selling both would ruin his dream completely and I'm sure would ruin his pride.

He bought the arena first, and then tried to get an USHL team but the Whalers came available. I'm sure to him, the team is expandable

Port Huron would be just about the last viable OHL market left in Michigan.

That's way too close to Sarnia

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I'm highly doubtful that Nilsen would sell the team and arena. Selling both would ruin his dream completely and I'm sure would ruin his pride.

He bought the arena first, and then tried to get an USHL team but the Whalers came available. I'm sure to him, the team is expandable

I'm still not convinced he didn't buy the arena as part of his plan to find a team for his son to play for. Trying to get a USHL team first certainly fits that theory, as his son could have played there instead of the OHL. With that situation having run its course, maybe he'll just want to get out of the entire thing?

Who knows what runs through the mind of people with more money than brains?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I'm still not convinced he didn't buy the arena as part of his plan to find a team for his son to play for. Trying to get a USHL team first certainly fits that theory, as his son could have played there instead of the OHL. With that situation having run its course, maybe he'll just want to get out of the entire thing?

Who knows what runs through the mind of people with more money than brains?

Haha. That seems to be far too common anymore doesn't it? I'm just guessing but I think your absolutely on point about just buying the team and arena for Hakon to play on. if the team sells, where does that leave his kid? If they can recruit or have a good draft, he'll still just be a 7-8 D on this team next year and I don't see any OHL club clamoring to acquire him. If he can develop his foot speed and skating I can still see him being a top 6 guy in this league but I think it's still about him. He had a pretty good game at F awhile back and has had decent shifts as a D occasionally throughout the season but he's still in over his head. If he were to want out I can see his Dad selling the team and arena. If Captain Delusional still thinks Hakon is a top pairing guy that's gonna be NHL drafted, there's gonna be problems I bet.

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
Haha. That seems to be far too common anymore doesn't it? I'm just guessing but I think your absolutely on point about just buying the team and arena for Hakon to play on. if the team sells, where does that leave his kid? If they can recruit or have a good draft, he'll still just be a 7-8 D on this team next year and I don't see any OHL club clamoring to acquire him. If he can develop his foot speed and skating I can still see him being a top 6 guy in this league but I think it's still about him. He had a pretty good game at F awhile back and has had decent shifts as a D occasionally throughout the season but he's still in over his head. If he were to want out I can see his Dad selling the team and arena. If Captain Delusional still thinks Hakon is a top pairing guy that's gonna be NHL drafted, there's gonna be problems I bet.

I see two possibilities, he keeps the arena and HÃ¥kon stays on the roster. He keeps the arena but acquires a different team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad