GDT: Flightless Birds v Big Cats @ 19:00EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
A win tonight is very important IMO. FLA is coming off playing last night. We're rested. If we fancy ourselves a serious contender we need to win such games. No viables excuse tonight! Just win!
But seeing as you don't see them as a contender anyways, why would the outcome of this came make any difference to you?

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Cats are coming off of a back-to-back and this is the fourth game in six days. Lundell got hurt last night and isn't playing. Lomberg is on IR as well, and we're expecting KHL import Petteri Lindbohm to make his debut on defense (replacing Lucas Carlsson who has been very solid as a rookie).

We've been far better on the road since the new year, but we'll be vulnerable tonight.

Florida has actually been pretty bad for about a month now. If we play how we did against Tampa and somewhat in Carolina should be a win.
? We're 6-3 since our two week break ended on February 16.

We came back from being down 2-0 to beat Carolina in overtime.
Beat Minnesota 6-2
Beat Chicago 5-2
Lost to Nashville 6-4
Lost to CBJ 6-3
Lost to EDM 4-3
Beat Ottawa 3-0
Beat Detroit 6-2
Beat Buffalo 6-1

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
But seeing as you don't see them as a contender anyways, why would the outcome of this came make any difference to you?
No, I truly don't view us as a serious contender. But I'd love to be wrong. Winning tonight would be a nice statement in that regard. Gotta win tonight, Sunday against Carolina one against the AV's. PROVE you can beat them, OR sell off!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Cats are coming off of a back-to-back and this is the fourth game in six days. Lundell got hurt last night and isn't playing. Lomberg is on IR as well, and we're expecting KHL import Petteri Lindbohm to make his debut.

We've been far better on the road since the new year, but we'll be vulnerable tonight.

Beat Minnesota 6-2
Beat Chicago 5-2
Lost to Nashville 6-4
Lost to CBJ 6-3
Lost to EDM 4-3
Beat Ottawa 3-0
Beat Detroit 6-2
Beat Buffalo 6-1

Relatively speaking is what I meant.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Cats are coming off of a back-to-back and this is the fourth game in six days. Lundell got hurt last night and isn't playing. Lomberg is on IR as well, and we're expecting KHL import Petteri Lindbohm to make his debut.

Beat Minnesota 6-2
Beat Chicago 5-2
Lost to Nashville 6-4
Lost to CBJ 6-3
Lost to EDM 4-3
Beat Ottawa 3-0
Beat Detroit 6-2
Beat Buffalo 6-1
Pittsburgh has the advantage as far as being rested. Also I'm not enamored with BOB in net. And believe me we've had our share of injuries to key players. We're getting Teddy back tonight. Not sure what to expect with him being out so long as well as the fact he's wearing a full face shield. We need to destroy you tonight. If we don't then.....

If we can't get up for a game like this then we can't get up for much of anything.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
No, I truly don't view us as a serious contender. But I'd love to be wrong. Winning tonight would be a nice statement in that regard. Gotta win tonight, Sunday against Carolina one against the AV's. PROVE you can beat them, OR sell off!
Honestly, other than maybe Carolina, Florida and maybe Toronto (even though they tend to crap out in the playoffs), none of the playoff teams in the east scare me against the Pens. Sure Boston would be a tough out because the Pens struggle in beantown, but I think that monkey may be off their back now. Washington is basically lucky that they started the season strong as they have not been good lately. TB only scare me if the Pens have home ice advantage. In Tampa the Pens have dominated them this year. The Rangers don't have enough playoff experience to make them a serious threat in my mind and if anything happens to Shesterkin they are hooped. Not sure what else the Pens could do to make you consider them a serious contender.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I mean I hope you're right, obviously. What I say makes no difference at all.

Their top line is as good as it gets. L2 is wobbly as hell and their depth scoring has dried up into nothing. Defense and goaltending pretty great. Special teams are fine.

That to me just doesn't look like a group that can go up against the league's best with any consistency. But hey I said the same thing against the Bolts, I'm sure.
I think people should just post what they actually think about the team, its immediate games and its prospects.
Look at all the stats and facts at your disposal and talk from that perspective, imo.

All these emotionally founded, pessimistic takes end up wrong all the time.
The team is 34-14-9. Even recently they're good. So by what logic are we assuming they'll get dumpstered?

If anything Florida playing last night puts them at a big disadvantage.

Heinen and McGinn scored vs Tampa. Kapanen has 2 assists recently. Ruhwedel scored vs Columbus.
Looking more like depth scoring is returning to a more reasonable level, rather than being dried up.

Yes, Florida does have an edge on paper in terms of roster strength. That's because of their scoring.
However, our L1 is performing pretty well lately too. Two even-strength goals vs Carolina. You talk of their PP, but what about ours? Hottest in the league since Malkin returned I believe. We're also the least penalized team in the NHL, so we'll see how many opportunities Florida gets to use theirs.
As for our L2, offensively it's started to look a lot better, and that should be reason for optimism?
Our team defense is ranked well ahead of theirs. We're 4th and they are 15th in GA/G.
Our PK is 3rd and theirs 16th.

They are not a flawless team. They are overly dependant on their offense. If they play a team in a best of 7 who can lock it down they could easily lose.

Reactions: RSPens

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I'm afraid of the Panthers. Every time I look at the scoreboard they've got six goals.
I'm more scared of the defensive teams that neuter our strengths. Calgary, LA, Boston etc.. When we play offensive teams it allows us to execute our game plan easier. It gets players feeling good offensively, because there's more space available. There's less confusion.
The 2 Florida games this year are proof. Coulda had both quite easily.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Sorry, ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to be able to watch tonight. So expect the Pens to score 2 or less goals since they apparently hate it when I enjoy hockey games.
sub-buzz-4517-1502120286-1.png

Sorry. Saw an opportunity. Had to take it.

Reactions: eXile3

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I like our chances against Bob.

Here’s hoping one of Kapanen, Carter, ERod or……ZAR can get one tonight.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
True story, worst day of my life on a personal level and I mean brutal! DEC 31st 1988. That was the day Mario had eight points and five goals five different ways.

Well... hopefully to take your mind off things they absolutely blow Florida's doors off tonight.

One way or the other I've seen too much of that shit myself in recent years so I truly hope it all turns out OK.

Reactions: vodeni

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Every game as been fun as hell. Would be a close playoff round, more importantly fun to watch, instead of the Islanders again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad