Confirmed with Link: Fleury re-signed (4 years, $23M, $5.75M AAV) #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Using the ASG to prove a point about ANYTHING? This thread has certainly taken a turn for the all-too-expectedly stupid, that's for sure.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
what a stupid argument to bring up...

we don't have Hasek/Roy in net, and the gap between them and MAF is as wide as the Grand Canyon.

I'm not saying he is even remotely in the same league as them. I'm saying many Pens fans love to complain and don't seem content unless they're doing so. This board never complained this much back when Dick Tarnstrom led the team in scoring and it looked like they weren't staying in Pittsburgh for long. I remember when this team went YEARS without a legitimate starting goalie.

Granted, with higher expectations comes greater scrutiny but some of you guys, I wonder if you can actually sit back and enjoy any games with how much you pick apart every player/game looking for negatives. They'll always be there. Before the Pens won the cup in '09 there were people actually saying after wins that the Penguins' success was covering up their failures.

Fleury has sucked many times but I couldn't care less about the all-star game or even a stretch in the middle of the season. As of now I have no expectations and I enjoy watching hockey more that way. The year the Pens won the cup, they had Satan as an over the hill scorer, fedotenko who was at best a tweener playing in the top 6, Scuds and Gil were the slowest tandem in the league, Fleury wasn't playing as well as the year before, Sykora stopped scoring all of a sudden. Talbot played in the top 6 in the playoffs. That team was full of holes, how the hell did they win the cup that year? Anything can happen.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I've never been a Fleury detractor, and I don't bring this point up with some nefarious agenda in mind, but it's worth noting...

Since Dec 22, in the 13 appearances MAF has made, he has accumulated:

3-6-3 record (plus one game where he was pulled after twenty mins)
0.895 SV%
3.18 GAA

He's also allowed 3 or more goals in 9 of those 13 games. Not a good month!

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Stats suck... eye test. Most of these games are not his fault at all.

I'm also sure i could cherrypick any losing streak or bad stretch and show bad goalie stats. Sometimes they are team stats instead of just goalie stats.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I've never been a Fleury detractor, and I don't bring this point up with some nefarious agenda in mind, but it's worth noting...

0.895 SV%
3.18 GAA

not a good month indeed. But when you watch a game like last night's you realize that some of that has to be attributed to the team in front of him playing like garbage over roughly that same stretch. Not saying Fleury has been good, because he hasn't. But he hasn't been as bad as those stats indicate, either. He's played like a middle of the pack starter. A middle of the pack starter cannot carry a bad team to wins with any regularity.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
not a good month indeed. But when you watch a game like last night's you realize that some of that has to be attributed to the team in front of him playing like garbage over roughly that same stretch. Not saying Fleury has been good, because he hasn't. But he hasn't been as bad as those stats indicate, either. He's played like a middle of the pack starter. A middle of the pack starter cannot carry a bad team to wins with any regularity.

I think this is spot on. Like I said, I didn't bring up those stats to say, "zOOmgz MAF is teh suck!"

The team has been pretty bad since late December. Fleury's play also dropped off from stellar to average, which as you say is not enough to mask this team's warts during this stretch of time.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

0.895 SV%
3.18 GAA

That'll happen when he's the best player on the team in a 4-0 loss.

Totally surprised this thread was bumped after last night BTW.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
That'll happen when he's the best player on the team in a 4-0 loss.

Totally surprised this thread was bumped after last night BTW.

Fleury was absolutely the least of our problems last night. As said above, his play this season has nonetheless regressed. He was our early season MVP; for the last few weeks he's been average, and "average" is not a derogatory word.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Stats suck... eye test. Most of these games are not his fault at all.

I'm also sure i could cherrypick any losing streak or bad stretch and show bad goalie stats. Sometimes they are team stats instead of just goalie stats.

The defense has been noticably Keystone Cops the last dozen games or so. I doubt that Brodeur in his prime could have a stellar GAA given what has been going on of late in front of Fleury.

And I have always believed more than any other position goalies are a product of their teams as much if not more than their own skills. One reason why you see a goalie who looks amazing playing for a defensive team go to another team and suck it up. Or vice versa.

As for the Pens, for all of our amazing talent and depth on defense we keep hearing about that defense has sucked for a while now. Certainly not lived up anywhere close to it's reputation.

Which is one reason I am so concerned about the team. I wouldn't mind losing 2-1 games if the team were working on and focusing on perfecting the defensive type of game that wins in the playoffs. But who the hell knows what they are doing out there right now? They look like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off with no clue where anyone else is.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

0.895 SV%
3.18 GAA

MAF was going to regress at some point during the season, at the beginning of the year he was playing like a elite goalie.

MAF has been in the league for 11 years now, we all know what type of goalie he is, and what type of stats hes going to give you, he isn't going to turn into a elite goalie in his 11th year in the league.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
MAF was going to regress at some point during the season, at the beginning of the year he was playing like a elite goalie.

MAF has been in the league for 11 years now, we all know what type of goalie he is, and what type of stats hes going to give you, he isn't going to turn into a elite goalie in his 11th year in the league.

He's always been a good starter. It's not crazy to think he could have an elite year, especially with a new (and bonafide) goalie coach and better D in front of him (which was certainly the case for the first couple dozen games this season).

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Fleury was absolutely the least of our problems last night. As said above, his play this season has nonetheless regressed. He was our early season MVP; for the last few weeks he's been average, and "average" is not a derogatory word.

Well a game like last night brings the question of whether his "decline" is more his fault or more the fault of the team playing horribly in front of him.

He hasn't been stealing games like he was in December but he isn't as bad as the few posters who like to blame him for losses in games he didn't even play make it out to be.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Well a game like last night brings the question of whether his "decline" is more his fault or more the fault of the team playing horribly in front of him.

He hasn't been stealing games like he was in December but he isn't as bad as the few posters who like to blame him for losses in games he didn't even play make it out to be.

Agreed

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
He's always been a good starter. It's not crazy to think he could have an elite year, especially with a new (and bonafide) goalie coach and better D in front of him (which was certainly the case for the first couple dozen games this season).

He worked with Bales last year as well and he still put up a typical MAF year.

I can't think of many goalies out there who put up mediocre numbers for 10 years then all of a sudden put together a vezina type season in year 11, if that's happened it hasn't happened very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad